1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Useless maids - just a vent to relax my mind

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Archana11, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Archana11

Archana11 Silver IL'ite

Hi Redmaveric, thanks for sharing your maids story. If my maid was in that position I would have happily helped her in lot if ways.
    My old maid has only daughter, working in a small company as cleaner and has 2 kids.
    In all special occasions like festivals we gave her extra cash. Even we gave extra cash when we got to know she was travelling to home town to attend her relatives funeral.
    On new year we cake cash to buy cake for her grand kids.
    On my kids birthday I bought toys for her grand kids.
    When her husband was sick she uses to take some groceries from my home to cook him healthy food.
    We get rice for less cost from my mom's relatives and we just give it to her free of cost.
    What else one can do for a maid. My husband while leaving to US gave her nice extra amount and requeated to come regularly or inform in advance because im pregnant.
    This is not justification to my said words. But Im a person who does not treat maid well. After treating so well if I get such a response definetly I get irritated.

sindmani likes this.
  2. Archana11

Archana11 Silver IL'ite

Hi Redmaveric, thanks for sharing your maids story. If my maid was in that position I would have happily helped her in lot if ways.
    My old maid has only daughter, working in a small company as cleaner and has 2 kids.
    In all special occasions like festivals we gave her extra cash. Even we gave extra cash when we got to know she was travelling to home town to attend her relatives funeral.
    On new year we gave cash to buy cake for her grand kids.
    On my kids birthday I bought toys for her grand kids.
    When her husband was sick she used to take some groceries from my home to cook him healthy food.
    We get rice for less cost from my mom's relatives and we just give it to her free of cost.
    What else one can do for a maid. My husband while leaving to US gave her nice extra amount and requeated to come regularly or inform in advance for absenses because im pregnant.
    This is not justification to my said words. But Im a person who treats maid well. After treating so well if I get such a response definetly I get irritated.

3. pinklotus

pinklotus New IL'ite

How frustrating! It sounds like you are such a good employer when there are so many bad ones out there. I wonder why the lack of concern for getting fired??

4. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

IL has become a place to vent anything and everything. And yet get several "I understand you" replies. I wonder if that helps or hurts in the long run.

Chulbuli04 likes this.
  5. twinklingstar

twinklingstar Gold IL'ite

dear OP i agree and i also really feel that they do not have any sense of responsibility. like you said even i pay and give extra gift/cash/stuff on festivals or if some medical emergency is there. even i invite her family on my kids birthday or function but still they take us for so granted and i have experieced this with many maids. they feel that we are doing all this to please them and keep them. i feel that they surrounding or the environment they are brought up in is the main cause. now a days they know they are in much demand and we are helpless without them.
    in my society i really dont know what the housewives have to do full day? they have kept maids for each work. and tehy pay heavy amount for that eg. for just making chapaties two time they pay 1500/-..and rest work other maids. and then they will go to gym to keep themselves maintain...
    because of such ladies our maids have raised their working charges so high that serioiusly i feel ther is no use of education when uneducated people earning so much. and they have this term that should be given 15days leave every summer to visit to they native...omg.
    i m myself very frustrated because of all this issues.

6. twinklingstar

twinklingstar Gold IL'ite

dear OP i agree and i also really feel that they do not have any sense of responsibility. like you said even i pay and give extra gift/cash/stuff on festivals or if some medical emergency is there. even i invite her family on my kids birthday or function but still they take us for so granted and i have experieced this with many maids. they feel that we are doing all this to please them and keep them. i feel that they surrounding or the environment they are brought up in is the main cause. now a days they know they are in much demand and we are helpless without them.
    in my society i really dont know what the housewives have to do full day? they have kept maids for each work. and tehy pay heavy amount for that eg. for just making chapaties two time they pay 1500/-..and rest work other maids. and then they will go to gym to keep themselves maintain...
    because of such ladies our maids have raised their working charges so high that serioiusly i feel ther is no use of education when uneducated people earning so much. and they have this term that should be given 15days leave every summer to visit to they native...omg.
    i m myself very frustrated because of all this issues.

imhappy likes this.
  7. imhappy

imhappy Silver IL'ite

I don't have any experience with maids. But yes almost all of my friends family and neighbours are having same complaints as what you have mentioned. Sometimes when I see people who have maids I also feel like to keep one.

I did experimented but it was disaster. It does not matter how nice you be with them there is some kind of disappointment. They generally don't get weekly offs and are over burdened and over tiered. Yes in metro cities they do earn quite much but still it's laborious work.

Yes you are true to some extent about social environment around them, but unfortunately it is not going to change in near future.

8. imhappy

imhappy Silver IL'ite

Sorry pressed reply button by mistake

9. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

They know that we are dependant on them hence maids take advantage of us..and we cannot judge housewives who keep maids, if they stay in joint family with inlaws there will be so much household work and they need the help of maids...
    And you are saying maids charge 1500 Rs for making chapattis 2 times? In my area they charge much more than that even to make chapattis once a day and refuse to come on Sundays ..you know, there are many cooks who charge 5000+ Rs to do cooking but refuse to cut veggies? They say that the maid should cut veggies and keep them ready then only they'll cook..
    ladies who are in nuclear family and yet to have kids can still manage as they may have to make only 10 chapattis a day for two people, and quantity of food to be prepared is less, therefore less utensils are used. less clothes to be washed and dried and if they are working long hours sometimes they have food at office canteen itself..home also doesn't get that dirty when just 2 people are staying..but imagine the plight of a working mom staying with in laws and having 1-2 kids..the home and bathrooms will become messy and need to be cleaned everyday, huge number of clothes will pile up in the laundry, and atleast 20-30 chapattis have to be prepared for a family of 5-6.. So many utensils will pile in the sink and lot of veggies have to be cut hence a maid is indispensible..maids understand that and make their demands..either for extra. Cash, loans, advances, extra leaves, etc. And most people end up giving into their demands..one maid who worked for me earlier would take 4-5 days leave every month. I myself had to raise the salary of one maid once even though she dint deserve the salary hike just because I was not keeping well and would not have been able to get a new maid at such short notice if she had left. She still complained it wasn't enough and picked a couple of nasty fights with me. Then I found someone else and let her go.

sindmani likes this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Rags, my dear, why oh why do you question the validity or usefulness of almost any thread? :) Isn't it nice to know how the evil housewives are plotting to bring down urban lifestyle as we know it?

Why don't those working mom use their working smarts and get husband and in-laws and old-enough children to pitch in with the household chores?

Are the maids more business and management and demand/supply savvy than the working moms?

sindmani, twinklingstar and generic like this.