Useful info for expecting moms...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by sonu_627, Feb 22, 2006.

1. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Re: Healthy Woman - Check it out.

Thank You Priya For your first feedback. :) I thought it'll be very useful for our IL friends in this forum. Thats why gave a link and posted it here again.

2. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

hi shel ,

thanks for posting such a nice & useful information.!:)

3. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Thank you Sadhana. :)

4. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

Re: Lots of Articles on Pregnancy & Post Pregnancy

useful one
    thanx a lot

5. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

Re: Pregnancy and Related topics-Warning signs during pregnancy

nice topic
    usuful info

6. jayraj

jayraj New IL'ite

Re: Tips during Pregnancy

Hi sharadha,

that list is a wonderfully simple and helpful one. Am in the US away from home and this really helps! Thanks

7. jayraj

jayraj New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I am currently in the US and may have to return to India for my first delivery as visa conditions dont look too good for my husband. Would any of you good ladies be able to advice me on the baby items that are better to purchase here than in India or are not available in India .

I am quite clueless as this is a whole new experience and your help is most appreciated.

thanks,
    j

8. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

Ladies thank you so much for sharing tips...

I have 2 cups of tea.. regular one, One cup in the mor and one in the even. Is it Ok or should i competly avoid tea?

9. sweetsangeeta

sweetsangeeta New IL'ite

Hi Rose nav

I take ginger tea every morning (I am 8 weeks preganant), I got to know through some reliable sources that they are helpfull to avoid nausea/ vomiting during 1st trimester , but can not say what type of tea you are taking../

Though I am gonna ask my gyeno in the next visit about the teag bags I am using ...

10. Serenity_John

Serenity_John Bronze IL'ite

Stress in Womb Can Alter Life Later

A stressed pregnant woman might put her infant at risk for cognitive problems later in life. But a mother's nurture could protect against this risk, a new study finds.

The research provides the first direct human evidence that fetuses exposed to elevated levels of the stress hormone cortisol, which possibly gets released in the mother's body when she's stressed out, could have trouble paying attention or solving problems as they grow up. But what may be more intriguing is that this negative link disappears almost entirely if the mother forges a secure connection with her baby.

Future studies are needed to confirm the findings, said study author Thomas O'Connor, a professor of psychiatry and psychology at the University of Rochester Medical Center in New York.

Good Parenting
    O'Connor and his colleagues recruited 125 pregnant women, who were at 17 weeks gestation on average, and took samples of their amniotic fluid so that stress hormones levels could be measured.

When their children reached 17 months of age, researchers tested cognitive abilities with puzzles, pretend play, and baby memory challenges.
    They also watched the baby and mother interact. Using the Ainsworth "Strange Situation" test, which judges childrearing quality, the researchers categorized these mom-baby pairs as either showing secure or insecure attachment to each other.

Secure children will be able to explore their surroundings while their mother is around, and will be sad if the mother leaves and happy when she comes back. Insecure children do not explore as much, and exhibit other insecure behaviors, such as showing no emotion when the mother leaves or returns, or becoming very anxious when she goes away, yet resisting her affection upon reunion.

For the insecure mom-baby pairs, the moms who had higher prenatal stress-hormone levels were more likely to have kids with shorter attention spans and weaker language and problem-solving skills. But for kids who had secure relationships with their moms, any negative link between high prenatal cortisol exposure and kids' cognitive development was eliminated.

"Pregnancy is an emotional experience for many women, and there is already so much for mothers to be careful of and concerned about," O'Connor said. "It's a relief to learn that, by being good parents, they might 'buffer'' their babies against potential setbacks."

Fetal programming
    The results agree with the theory of "fetal programming," the idea that events in the womb could prime the developing child for long-term health and developmental outcomes. Past studies, for instance, have found a pregnant mother's diet can sway a child's long-term risk for heart disease, diabetes and obesity.

However, the researchers note it is hard to tell whether high levels of stress hormone result from an anxious mother or are excreted directly from the fetus itself.

They hope to follow up with the children at age 6 to see the long-term effects of in-utero cortisol levels and parenting style. The tests would include imaging studies of the children's brains.

The results were published Feb. 25 in the journal Biological Psychiatry. The research was funded by March of Dimes and the National Institute of Mental Health.

Original Story: Stress in Womb Can Alter Life Later