1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Use Sewing Machine To Attach Extension To Skirt Without Thread Appearing On Front

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by SuiDhaaga, Dec 1, 2021.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

How do I attach frilly extension of skirt using a sewing machine WITHOUT the thread appearing on the front of the skirt?

Else i have to do blind stitch by hand :-(

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 10.17.55 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 10.16.32 AM.png

2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

blind hem with hand is the right way, You can blind hem with machine as well but that needs practice.
    I just attached once to my a dress, and just sewed it on, did not do blind hem. You case is better, because
    it is dark skirt and full length. So even if you machine stitch, wont be that visible.
    You can also sandwich your ruffle edge between skirt and bias tape or facing to look neater.
    Other way is - do you have lining, attach it to lining and tack it as few places like on seams ( like indian lehangas)
    Sorry I do not know much. But I remember same confusion I had long back. Use to search for videos on how to attach ruffle trim to hem. I did not know much that time so my concern was ruffle edges should be hidden from inside also and fully covered. I did not bother much about outside which is funny ( because i was still learning and did not know much )

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  3. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

I ended up doing blind stitch by hand

Edge of skirt was fold so I placed the top part of the ruffle INSIDE the skirt, and my stitches were hidden inside the seam.

So it really wasn't blind stitch, just that I was able to hide the stitches (but I had to do it by hand).