Use For Spices That Come With Spice Rack?

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by Naari, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Hello Friends,

I recently bought a revolving spice rack that came with pre-filled spices and herbs. To name a few spices that it came with: thyme, rosemary, basil, parsley, Italian seasoning, sage, marjoram, dill weed, oregano. It also came with some spices which I may safely categorize as Indian or near Indian like fennel, cumin, cayenne pepper, that I can easily use with some Indian recipes too. I occasionally make pasta or pizzas or even Mediterranean falafel sandwich, with which I anticipate using the basil, thyme & parsley. But other than these, I cannot think of much use for the non-Indian spices. And that's where I need help.

So, my dear friends, if you cook any recipes using any of the non-Indian spices mentioned above, I welcome you to share it. Also , any twists to Indian recipes that involve some of the above spices complementing their Indian sisters are welcome (I figured they should be females considering they are spices:laughing:)

PS: Funny responses & digressions are always welcome (I anticipate some considering the names of some spices :wink:).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017

2. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Once I accidentally added dill and oregano in veg kurma, it turned flavorful.
    I add them in veg Hakka noodles the thyme, oregano and basil. You can add them in masala chapati as we make methi thepla.

Sandycandy and Naari like this.
  3. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Thanks! Will definitely try this .

Sandycandy likes this.
  4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Rosemary in olive oil. Have it with slices of warm sourdough.
    Dill flavored rice maybe ?

Naari likes this.
  5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If you eat meat, rosemary tastes great with lamb and chicken dishes, especially roasts. I make a dill mung dal with fresh dill and dhuli mung (husked, split mung). You could sub dried dill with a bit of roasted coriander powder. Tastes yum! Sage can be used to make a sage-butter sauce for pasta dishes. Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter. Add some shallots and cook until golden. Then add the sage, salt and pepper. Pour over some fresh ravioli or gnocchi and serve. Works best with fresh sage but dried should work too. Recipes for homemade pizzas, pasta sauces like marinara, salad dressings like Italian vinaigrette, all call for basil, parsley, oregano and thyme.

Naari likes this.
  6. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

You mean with sourdough bread, like Cal pizza kitchen right? Or sourdough?

Will try dill flavored rice, always wanted to introduce dill on our menu.

Sandycandy likes this.
  7. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Thanks gauri! Those are some great suggestions. Sage butter sauce & dill mung dal sound really interesting. As for meats, I am veg, so unfortunately can't do those.. will try the others for sure.

8. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

You can prepare pizza sauce with thyme ,basil, oregano,parsley and make any Manchurian with it:) Like say boil carrot , tomato, colored bell peppers,onion , garlic and add the mentioned spices:) You can deep fry the pakoras keep aside. take some oil in a pan saute some onions ginger garlic paste ,green capsicum add the sauce.. give it a good boil and add the pakoras to this and serve :) You can add tomato sauce for some tangy taste:)

Sandycandy and Naari like this.
  9. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Sandycandy and Archanaanchan like this.
  10. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Yes ! CPK style !