1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Use for old clothes

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by anmolhai, Mar 9, 2006.

1. varudhini

varudhini Bronze IL'ite

As Radha said the Red cross people collect old and used clothes and give them to the needy, but it may not be ongoing in many cities. Now-a-days in schools also they are putting up some collection boxes for old clothes. We can put whatever we have in them and they will send them to orphanages and old age homes. Otherwise, we can directly give at old age homes and orphanages there by we too can let a hand in helping the needy.

Varudhini

2. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

hi to all,

Use of old clothes.

Best to give maid and homes. But which we are able to give, but good in condition means we can use them as follows:

1. Old Cotton Towels – Fold and stitch the corners and use as door mats. In rainy season we need more mats and these mats will dry easily and we can use them many times.

2. Salwar’s duppatas - Can be used as curtains for windows.

3. Sarees , dotis - Use to make ‘Mora’, will be very useful for babies to make ‘julla’/dhuli.

4. Bottom of salwar and jeans – Make small squares and make like small mats and use to cover or place phone.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  3. vijiputhucode

vijiputhucode Silver IL'ite

volunteer organisations such as udavum karangal are taking these old usable dresses. if u phone them they will come and pick it up

4. Jaysree

Jaysree IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

Wonderful tips by Krishnaamma.

Thanks.

Jayshree.

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    The old pants, shirts, salwar etc. will be difficult for use because of the size problem. Saree can be ysed by anyone.
    In Chennai, there is a person who buys old pants, shirts etc. He pays Rs.10 per set of salwar kameez, one pant, one shirt etc. Sarees get prices according to their condition. He even sends somebody to collect the clothes from our house.
    I guess we can sell to him, and give that money to some charity rather than giving it to people who would not be able to use it. I have now collected old clothes and am about to make a call to that person.
    That is Mr. K.N.Ahmed. Phone- 65273751, 9841199514.
    Personally, I am not for exchanging the old clothes for vessels or plastic items.

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

Recently I relocated from the coldest part of the earth to the hottest part. I have loads of warm clothes which I do not need for the next year. I am trying to give them away to needy persons in cold parts of India. They are all in good condition and will survive years of active use.

Pls let me know if there are any credible organisations that will take used woollens, warm clothes and distribute them in places like Nepal,Ladakh,even Delhi.

Pls help out with any leads you have.Thanks in advance.

7. fiona

fiona Bronze IL'ite

Hi Krishnaamma,
    I really liked your idea of transforming old cotton towels into doormats.Pls share some more tips if you have using old clothes used and unused.
    Bye
    Fiona.

8. krishnaamma

Thank you for your complements Fiona,:)

But I want to know what is meant by this?:idontgetit:

'Pls share some more tips if you have using old clothes used and unused.'?

Explain.:2thumbsup:

9. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Hi Krishnamma,

May be Fiona meant clothes that are outdated (hence old) but were never used (so unused). Here when I shop for my kids and bring home new clothes for them, they use the ones that they like best and the ones that they dont like goes to the back of the closet and it is only during annual closet cleaning that I find them. So these clothes fit the description :

"old clothes used and unused"

10. krishnaamma

Dear Blondie,

Thank you for your reply. Now I got the meaning:yes: