US Stock market discussions

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by shravanthika, Jan 8, 2008.

1. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Vaidehi

I am also a new bee , started stock trading since past 6 months. but the going so far was good , as I have started with small amounts and took low risk...

The way I buy/sell is based on the historic performance of a particular stock, how low/high they go, the profit/loss statement and also I track that particular stock for a week or so before I buy and if I think it can go down further , I would set a limit price at which I would want to buy. I follow the same for selling too..i.e would set a limit price at which I want to sell.

I am not looking at huge profits as we all know how the market is..I do read some online updates, sometimes follow news on CNBC, MADMONEY (By Cramer) is superb show..However at the end of the day our research, gut feeling is what is important.

Last month I read that sprint shares would go up and there was a buy message on some tickers, I researched on it a bit and bought and sold them ofcourse got couple of hundreds as profit.

so start with small amounts and when you get those comfort levels, you can put more money in market.

You have online trading sites like eTRADE, AMERITRADE, SCOTTRADE, and some banks are also giving this option of online trading like CHASE, ING DIRECT etc...They have some tutorials and investor information..By the way the online trading sites charge some fees to buy/sell stocks...when you enroll for the first time they give you some free trades...

you can also try browsing yahoo , cnn, msn, cnbc sites on how to start investing...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  2. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Vidya,

Thank u so much for the detailed explanation, i have been reading all ur threads right from mutual funds to stock investments. u have been explaining it so clearly and in simple words..... really appreciate ur efforts.

I am planning to open an account with scottrade, i heard they offer some good service along with competitive charges.

i had been trading back in India, but somehow i m little nervous to enter into international market.So just trying to get my homework done before i decide on something.
    Do share your valuable info or tips ..... its will be very helpful for investors like me :).

Vaidehi

3. SriVidya75

Any time Dearie!! Am sure with in few weeks of stepping into US market you too would become an expert...Pls do share what ever you find interesting or which stocks you felt are worth investing!!:cheers

By teh way if you know anyone of your friends/neighbours/relatives who have scottrade account, ask them to refer you...that way both of you get 4 trades free:) Scottrade charges 7$ for each transaction (buy/sell stocks)

Good Luck

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  4. SriVidya75

Question to those stock traders....Do you buy/sell or trade penny stocks...I was looking at some of the trading charts..and I saw that there are few people who trade penny stocks and the quantity they buy is in millions...so it worth trading penny stocks?? whats your opinion on this?

5. Devinaren

Devinaren New IL'ite

PLEASE DO NOT INVEST NOW IN US STOCK MARKET. I EXPECT MARKET TO UNDERPERFORM IN NEXT FEW YEARS. 2011 WILL BE VERY BAD YEAR AS PER PI CYCLE OF MARKET.

Thanks and Regards,
    Devi Narendar

<big style="font-weight: bold;">

</big><small><!-- google_ad_section_start -->It's only when the tide goes out that you learn who's been swimming naked. Warren Buffett</small>

6. SriVidya75

I thought when the stock market is down, thats the right time to invest and then wait for the stock to perform better. Because when the market is up and running high, amount that needs to be invested will also be high isnt it??

7. SriVidya75

Did anyone buy BAC shares lately???

8. SriVidya75

I see that US Stock market has picked up nicely....seems like a good start!! hope it stays that way :)

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Srividya, my DH works in the capital Markets and a few weeks ago he was speaking about the penny stocks - yes it is true there are people who makes tonns of money here, but it is one of the most complex forms of trading. I am sure a lot of reseach and work has to be done and will work well only with bigger investments.

I have been toying with the idea of trading for a while now, even started a group which fizzled out, will soon join you guys here.

10. SriVidya75

Rama

Nice to see you here! I have been observing that there are people who buy / sell penny stocks in millions (I mean the no. of shares) but finally I was wondering how does penny stocks benefit over the regular ones?? is it because of the movement observed in them ?