US Stock market discussions

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by shravanthika, Jan 8, 2008.

1. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

I see Shanthi doing a goodjob in Indian stock market discussions.
    How abt the US stock market...now seem to be a buyers market for long term investors

Any thoughts?suggestions?

Pls pour in..

2. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shravanthika - glad that you are interested in the US Stock market. In the same thread that Shanthi discusses the Indian stock market, there was a few posts related to the US market as well - did not pick up much steam. How about we continue the discussion here. For starters, tell us your experience.

3. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

Hi.

I don't think it is a good time to invest in the US stock market now. The subprime mortgage melt down and the rising price of oil may push the economy into a recession in which case the stock markets will fall. I was reading in business week that emerging markets are the places to invest in now - specifically recommended India, Brazil and Poland.

Mythraeyi

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Shravantika
    Glad you started this. do go ahead I can learn a few too.. I do peek into Shanthi's once in a while..

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi all,

could not resist peeping in...though a falling market, looks more like a buyers market technically, the factors that are pulling it down govern your look out at the stocks.

i don't have much insight into the us markets, I only glance at it to see how it impacts the indian markets....

The weak economic reports, the employment data, the expected fed cuts again by jan 30..
    US economy looks to be heading towards a recession in 2008 prompted by one of the worst meltdowns in the housing market, rising energy and food prices....

gold looks safer haven then dollar..with the dollar going southwards, the gold prices are scaling new heights expected to be stable for a period and then again go more north....

So, try investing in fundamentally strong ones...which can take the bashing of the market....

6. shravanthika

I'm glad to see responses...
    I'm also a beginner ...and learning alot...watching CNBC everday and getting tips.
    moneycentral.com.....is a excellent site acc to me for they have all the home work done for you...

though the economy is in the downstream...it is a buyers market ...in terms of longterm investment...

Financial stocks are at bargain ....and if you are patient enough to do your homework.

I'm having an eye on Bank of America....its 52 week low and its expected to go down further once their Q4 earnings are released on Jan22nd...the chairman has already given a clue to the Wall street that it is going to be disappointing...Their forward EPS is 4.36 and beta being .46(Shanthi has given us gr8 lessons abt these factors..)Major mutual funds seem to hold this share...including Warren Buffet...

But you have to be patient for the upward stream would start only in the Q3 this year....most analysts believe its going to bounce back ...

So ladies do share what you feel and if you eye a particular stock....

I'm only a beginner ...so I may be totally wrong...so pls do your homework before you invest and....do not hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong....

7. shravanthika

As the closing bells rang...here are the hot stock news

U.S. stocks rose on Wednesday and the Nasdaq broke an eight-day losing streak, as talk of recession pushed investors into health care and other defensive sectors seen as resistant to a slowdown.Investors scoured the market for bargains among big technology names such as Apple and Microsoft.

Trading was extremely volatile, with the market swinging from positive to negative several times during the session. It was the first trading day of 2008 that all three indexes closed higher.

I'm also watching closely energy and tech sector...

Ladies...what are your views...

8. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

I am glad to see this thread picking up - stock market volatility continues - energy stocks are expected to rise. I come across a lot of market research in my line of work but I am bound my SEC regulations about disclosing data - so I can only say what is already public knowledge!! WB has the right ideas - long term, value stocks, index funds are good investments.

9. shravanthika

Shobana..may I know abt the SEC regulations reg disclosing data?

10. shravanthika

A volatile Wall Street advanced today as investors found renewed confidence in a report that Bank of America Corp. is close to buying struggling mortgage lender Countrywide Financial Corp.Countrywide, meanwhile, soared 51% to $7.75 after The Wall Street Journal reported that Bank of America was in advanced talks to acquire the troubled company.

Credit concerns were one reason the market waffled in earlier trading, with investors trying to reconcile comments on the economy from Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and Kansas City Fed President Thomas Hoenig.Stocks jumped after Bernanke said the Fed was ready to lower interest rates again to ward off a recession.

Crude oil, meanwhile, fell 2% to $93.71 a barrel in New York, its first close under $94 in two weeks, after Goldman Sachs said Japan is at risk of recession, cutting energy consumption.

Energy stocks moved lower in response.

But gold closed at a new high of $893.60 an ounce in New York as the dollar weakened again. The precious metal hit an intraday high of $897.30 before easing back after Bernanke's speech. Analysts see gold crossing $900 an ounce soon.

Delta shares jump on airline merger talk.CEO Richard Anderson plans to ask the company’s board for permission to enter into formal merger talks with both Northwest Airlines and United Airlines.Emerging from bankruptcy protection was a huge accomplishment for Delta, but high oil prices and a slowing economy are hurting the company.

Citigroup and Merrill Lynch seem to be poised to get more cash from abroad.

The two financial-services companies are both reportedly negotiating more investments from foreign investors to help deal with the credit- and mortgage-market messes.The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Citi is expecting to get $10 billion in capital from foreign governments, while Merrill is likely to get between $3 billion and $4 billion from a Middle Eastern investment fund.