1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Urgent..Where to buy CONDENSED MILK?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Amywos, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Amywos

Amywos Bronze IL'ite

Dear ILs,

I have been hunting for Condensed Milk, Evaporated Milk, Milk Powder and Cream. I need to buy all the four. I was searching in Walmart and Costco mainly in freezer sections near to milk. But dint find them. I want to attempt Tres Leches cake for DHs Bday :drowning

I do see heavy whipping cream, etc etc. Also some ' Half & Half'. What is Half & Half? Is it like lighter version of full cream?

Do let me know where to get Condensed Milk / Evaporated Milk / Milk powder in US.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup

2. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi sowmya...did you check in indian stores? sure they have condensed milk and cream..i am not sure about your locality...but i have seen whipping cream and other related baking stuffs in american stores like meijer and whole foods...since you are in MI i guess those stores might be near your house!

3. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

did you check the baking aisle for your local supermarket? I usually pick up all of these from there..
    half and half is cream with half the fat content.. if you have an asian store near you, you will find Nido.. but otherwise, you can find the regular store brand.

4. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

All the products you have mentioned are available in walmart under baking section.i am surprised why you did not seek the help of walmart emplyees who will show the proper aisle.

5. madhurisatya

madhurisatya Silver IL'ite

Yea all are available in walmart and also do check in your local food store.
    All the items which you mentioned won't come under frozen section.

6. Amywos

Amywos Bronze IL'ite

Oooooopssssssss So I should check in Baking section huh..:bonk

Thanks to all of you :) :) Will get them this week. A month or so back I saw condensed milk in frozen section near butter / cheese etc, but that time I never needed them. May be a couple of them were misplaced or something. But with that in mind I somehow got fixed the Condensed Milk/Evaporated Milk will be in frozen section and was mainly concentrating on them only. Now am clear. :) thanks

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  7. nehausa

nehausa Senior IL'ite

Pathmark"""""""""""""""""""""

8. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Sowmya,

Half and Half is a mixture of equal parts whole milk and cream (literally half whole milk and half cream). It is widely used in coffee as a creamer. I have used it in the place of cream to make north indian dishes (where it calls for malai). Don't know how it can be used for baking (for baking strictly stick to the recipe!)

9. Amywos

Amywos Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Neha and Pavarun.
    Pavarun, U r right, I am going to stick to the recipe, Going to buy full cream for the cake, but anyway wanted to know what and where to use Half&Half. Thanks for the info :)

10. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

In western recipes:

Condesed milk: is actually sweetened condensed milk which is in a can in baking aisle. It is very thick and sweet. Indian version: Milkmaid

Evaporated milk is in a can also but is not sweetened. It is used for many cooking uses and can also be used in cooking instead of cream. It can also be used in making soups. It has much less fat than cream but gives creamy-ness.

Milk powder: usually called instant non-fat dried milk. Comes in a large pour box. Most well known brand is Carnation.

All these will be in the baking aisle in milk section. Store brands are fine for the canned milks but the Carnation is better than some others for the milk powder.