1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

urgent :-Newyork ladies.plz help me

Discussion in 'Indians in New York' started by priyapraveendvs, Jun 27, 2009.

1. priyapraveendvs

priyapraveendvs Bronze IL'ite

hi all,

My name is priya. i am expected to travel to whiteplains in newyork , in couple of days so, we willbe staying there approxim,atly 1 year please provide your expert advice in allareas like clothing ,accomadation ,and any other necesary details. and do i find grocery items and things what things i shuld get from india pleae suggest me.

and also i heard whiteplains is very costly place. so almost people will stay in nearest city? please suggest the nearest city to whiterplains.., and westchester avenue is the palce my husband has to work .please ladies..help me.

2. geetha mahesh

geetha mahesh Bronze IL'ite

Hi Priya,:hiya
    Welcome to NY.Newyork state as such is expensive whichever city you live in.
    I suggest you can get groceries enough for 3 months and later you can buy from the local Indian stores.Westchester as I have heard has a good Inidan population..so will have an Indian store in the vicinity.
    Regarding clothes just get minimum Indian clothes as you can wear them mostly in spring an summer.Winter is difficult to wear churidhars,sarees etc.
    So manage your luggage compromising on clothes and containing mostly groceries ,Kitchen utensils,medicines,some winter clothes and basic day to day items.You can buy clothes as and when you get sales here..Flat kitchenware is expensive so better to get from India when you land here initially..
    Hope this information helps.
    Groceries I meant various dhals,rice just may be three kgs,any dry powders like sambar,rasam etc..
    accomodation you can ask the company or hospital which is employing your husband..or google for apartments in that area..
    shopping as I have told before..also walmart,kmart ,dollar stores are the best to start shopping around with initially..

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  3. priyapraveendvs

priyapraveendvs Bronze IL'ite

hi

geetha ,

really thanks a lot!!!!

i just need only apartments info...we were in california 1 year ...just 4motnhs back we came back to inida... and again we gt chance..but company people are not hellping as my husband is new to them and all are touch me not type....

nway thanks a lot for info....