1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Urgent help needed regarding Italian herbs availibility in Chennai

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Maddy2087, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Maddy2087

Maddy2087 Platinum IL'ite

Hi friends,

I wanted to grow Italian herbs in my kitchen garden and was wondering where i can find the seeds in Chennai. I am going for an extreme short visit and was wondering if you can give me the address of the nursery where i can find the herbs. Please help.

I wanted to grow the following:

Rosemary
    Thyme
    terragon
    Basil ( Most needed)

Regards,
    Maddy:hiya

2. Maddy2087

Parsley also friends :)

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

mady

the best way is to get the seeds through someone coming from abroad..

but i remember reading about a blogger who was willing to share sweet basil seeds.

google for a gardener forum..and you will find a group of chennai based gardeners..maybe you could find out if they can help.

also check out with the horticultural society, or the herbal gardens in tiruvannamalai, auroville. these are two places that i am sure you can get hold of the herbs.

i think you could grow rosemary, thyme for cuttings..check out if you can pick up a bag of herbs from the market..and try your luck..

check out if the gardenworld online shop delivers to your place..

1 person likes this.
  4. muthuswathi

muthuswathi Silver IL'ite

Hi
    You can try to get from Horticulture research station, Hulimavu, Bangalore
    Central institute of medicinal plants, Hebbal, Bangalore and FRLHT, Bangalore

1 person likes this.
  5. Maddy2087

Thank you so much . I will defiantly try procuring some seeds. I am actually thinking of growing a mixed Italian herbs in a planter. Lets see . will keep you guys updated .

6. Smitham84

Smitham84 Gold IL'ite

there is an online shop called 'grow green' and they have all kinds of herbs and ornamental seeds which r rare .u can search for the name grow green in face book. or else pls PM me so tht I can send u their email id. I buy from them and happy about their service .

1 person likes this.
  7. Maddy2087

Thanks . Can you please PM me their email Id if possible ?

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

smitha just curious what did you order..anything special, like the herbs/greens (bok choy, italian basil..) or orchids that you were looking for..do they survive chennai climate..

9. Smitham84

Smitham84 Gold IL'ite

@Shanvy .. I ordered some ornamentals like different colors of morning glory(it comes in 1 pack) , some hybrid sunflowers (2 varieties ) , dwarf zinnias , gallardias, aster( didn't grow ) , gazania(didn't grow) , English daisy(didn't grow ) , different varieties of pom pom flower/ vadamalli ,hollilock,strawflower ,dianthus ,pansy,petunia (these 5 items I bought very recently and yet to sow) etc .
    and in herbs I bought herb combo pack including Chamomile,Tarragon,Cinnamon Basil,dill,fennel,lemon balm,marjoram,stevia,parsely,lemon grass,oregano,thyme,rosemary,sage (15 herbs in 1 pack) .. last week only I bought it and sowed , and most of the seeds germinated... just waiting for them to grow.
    bought a combo of 5 varieties of lettuce and yet to sow them .
    70-80 % of the seeds I bought from them got germinated and most of them grew well ( some of them didn't germinate/grow bcs of the climate and lack of care ) .

I'll post the update after 2-3 weeks ( once they grow fully) .

Grow Green has only seeds and no plants... but I bought some orchids in my last visit to kerala and till now they are doing good... actually most of the exotic plants will grow in this climate. the orchids may need extra care in summer ... I'm planning to put a green house or poly house in summer .

a packet of different color nd varieties of tomatoes

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

lucky you, smitha, thanks for the immediate answer. i have lots of squirrels and it is a menace even if i have a green thumb, i have stopped growing lot of things..

1 person likes this.