1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Urgent:help Needed:public Speaking Competition For Grade 4

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by nakshatra81, Dec 15, 2016.

1. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

may be we don't understand this until we see our own kids reach that stage/age. For me @Rihana ne kaha, to theek hi hoga! (rihana said it, so it Should be okay)

Rihana and nakshatra81 like this.
  2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: First learn to accept your own mistakes- otherwise your child will also start to outsource his homework and be as rude as you.

Rihana kinda made me understand that maybe having raised kids perspective changes.. When we were growing up- we did our own homework and even won several competition. Wonder where would I be if I was spoon fed the essay. Things weren't just given-- we had to earn it.
    Anyone who has been brought up to do their own work are not focused on winning, they will also learn that life is not about winning all the time. And you are not the golden child.

Wonder where OP had asked for tips? All I read was - help me to start the essay, help me to frame it, help me end -- that's the whole essay 1. introduction, 2. Body. 3. Ending. I don't see where she has asked "tips".

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When is the competition? Still some time left or in a hurry? I can help a bit on Saturday (U.S. time). Copy/paste and post what you have so far. I'll try to provide some guidance for the content, and for how to help child without taking over the speech from him. How to ask him questions and help him come up with some material himself too.

======================
    The feasibility of parents helping kids, how much to help, how we did things in our childhood, how parenting is now different... that is a debate/discussion I currently don't have the bandwidth for.

Chocolatey likes this.
  4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

When everyone is doping, how can one honorable aspirant compete? Welcome to the battle of the parents at the Lance Armstrong school!

I quite like the way they do it (used to do it?) in India. Elocution competitions, i.e. reciting set passages (poetry, classical literature, essays & speeches of Vivekananda and the like) were different from debating competitions encouraging argument and wit, both of which were different from speech / essay competitions. Looking back, I am glad that my parents steered me toward them. For me, the participation achieved exactly what these competitions were designed to achieve - I learned a lot of poetry and passages from literature that I still remember, overcame stage fright, learned to write and most of all learned to use what I gleaned from those efforts in other writing.

So, even if this turns into a battle of the parents, it's not so bad - working to memorize it and present it front of an audience can still bring long lasting benefits, as long as no one is pretending that the kid is quoting Baudrillard on consumer society from his own reading! Having said that, the topic seems to me to be downright silly for a ten year old! Who dreams up this tosh?
    :BangHead: :smash2::icon_writing:

nakshatra81 likes this.
  5. nakshatra81

nakshatra81 Senior IL'ite

thnx for rihana and kashmir flower.don't think me as irresponsible mom. Here is what i did before i asked for help from ilites
    thank you so much for your concern dear.competition is on 26th december.10 more days.i have all the drafts in black and white. these are all rough drafts.i have made final drafting too and given in my kids hand.
    please help me to make it crisp.just the concern you have is more than anything.I will upload it in next message. IMG_1200.JPG IMG_1202.JPG IMG_1203.JPG IMG_1204.JPG IMG_1205.JPG

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    Chocolatey and Rihana like this.
  6. nakshatra81

here is the continuation of rough draft IMG_1206.JPG IMG_1207.JPG IMG_1208.JPG IMG_1209.JPG

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  7. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

OP, I hope you won't mind if I ask a question - where did this topic come from? Was it assigned at school or did you choose it? If you really want to help your son, then it might be better to pick something that a ten year old can get excited about!

nakshatra81 likes this.
  8. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana , you got some homework here.:p
    @nakshatra81 just kidding.

coming to the topic, how many minutes time would be given to present? 3 min? 5 min?
    I think there is lot of content you prepared already. on a quick glance I see "my mom, dad, momma's boy" attracted my attention. I will see the pages detail now.

I understood that topic also chose by you, not given by teachers . am I right?

for 10 year old, assume that he is asking you some big toy/video game / some nice dress/shoe, and you have certain budget( budget as you said in papers).

Explain the topic from his point of view how he will make decision among what he wants to buy based on his budget.

all your content is same but explaining with example of needed things of 10 year olds makes interesting for your son and listening to it for his friends.

I am not expert of these things, let experienced moms advise u.

9. nakshatra81

dear,
    this is the topic given by the school along with other two topics namely do u support multilingualism or single language.second one is do you wish your uniform to be same throughout kG to highschool or you need it to be changed every 4years.
    as i have twin kids from same class i don't want both of them to speak on same topic.so i prepared supporting multilingualism for one kid and this one for other.