1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Urban Loneliness

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by omsrisai, Oct 19, 2017.

1. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Two weeks back I was attending a conference where got opportunity to listen an educational speech by an IIT professor on how things are changing in this world. There was one thing which impacted me a lot which is Urban Loneliness.

A generic definition available in Google: A common side effect of big city life. the limitless amounts of social opportunities available creates a feeling of isolation when you for some reason don’t exploit them. the depression is further increased by constantly witnessing other people seemingly overcoming these challenges better than you.

An incident which was shared by the speaker which he witnesses in person during a visit to hill station, a newly married couple were there in the hill station and were so addicted within themselves in their own virtual world but didn’t try speak to each other. While the guy’s mobile was about to switch off, he just took his power bank to charge his mobile and he didn’t try to have some chat with his wife. This is one such incident in life and there are many more in life which we all witness daily.

I did realize that many of us might be travelling the same path like the couple who want to spend time with family, but then we keep us occupied with our smart phone and we don’t speak to each other. Researchers are saying that this loneliness is seen with people in metro cities than people which is quiet seen less with people staying in rural places.

This made me to think of myself on what can I change within myself - started with keeping away from smart phone where I spent my time in FB, whats app etc. doing nothing.This gave me more ME time and also quality time to spend with kid, which is more memorable for both of us.

Though I might be less aware of things happening around the globe, but sometimes ignorance is a bliss right.

So, do you think that we are more travelling the same path and how do you think we can change to be away from this urban loneliness.

SCSusila, knbg, bmaquarius and 12 others like this.

2. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Yes!
    These phone, tab and smart TV take more time...
    I too keep my phone away or turn off wifi when I do work I'm finding peace

knbg, omsrisai and Naari like this.
  3. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Urban loneliness is for real. It started with 24x7 TV and peaked at the introduction of smart phones. It is yet to be seen how far it will go. In India it is still possible to sit in the living room and talk because there is no individual room for kids. Once they get their own room, at least in the west, they simply lock themselves up in their rooms and play with this toy. Verbal Communication is replaced by texting.
    In rural India also it is catching up. Cheap smart phones are replacing basic phones faster than expected. It will not be unusual to watch a man riding his bullock cart, playing with his fingers on the key pad or women working in the fields with their phones hanging on their necks.
    Jio has made it affordable and others are following.
    Having said that it all depends on us how we use this useful tool in our hands. Heavens will not fall if we watch your FB or Whatsapp messages at leisure. We may not ignore the text messages or calls because they may be urgent and important. Why would anyone pay for it to text or call if not important. We can possibly set just an hour or two of our time for social sites.

4. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

When I see 2 year old kids happily using the smartphone effortlessly, my heart skips a beat. Technology has created a new bunch of generation addicted to internet and phone, which sure is going to churn a whole lot of lonely and confused kids. So what are we going to to do about this new wave, which is sweeping the entire world?
    Cheers,
    Agatha83

omsrisai and sindmani like this.
  5. annmeevz

annmeevz New IL'ite

Nowadays all are in the world of mobile and internet. Even if we are in a function or with our family. All are busy with the mobiles. Even we are stressed with our work or life there is only one solution, escape to the mobile world. It's so strange!! No one want to know the reality, just want to escape from everithing for a while.That's what we doing.

omsrisai likes this.
  6. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Just few days back I was playing some sports with my friends and few kids had accompanied their moms too . The infants in the strollers were glued to iPad and the older kids were all sitting independently with their respective devices . I always thought kids need kids but they proved me wrong . It was sad to see that kids didn't want to mingle with one another and all the slides and swings were empty . Same thing in the local temple too . I see a bunch of families coming together in groups . While the parents enjoy gossips, mingling and killing time at the temple , all the kids occupy one of the empty rooms and sit with a tablet . With so much access to phone and iPads all the time , kids don't bother to mingle or find other creative ways to spend time .

shyamala1234, sindmani and annmeevz like this.
  7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Virtual world has outbeaten real world in many people's life. May be it is a boon to people who are staying alone.
    PS

omsrisai likes this.
  8. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Very true and if we keep it away,we get more peace.

9. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for your view and yes Jio is now making net affordable,hope we keep our self under control and not let other things control us

10. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Yes i did get it and did witness in person while i went for shopping this weekend with my family where i saw a kid was given his dad's smart phone and he was watching it and the parents were doing their shopping.