1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Upset With In-laws

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Hana2018, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Hana2018

Hana2018 Bronze IL'ite

Last week during my doctor visit they had found a lump in my neck. I called my mil to tell her that we aren't sure anything yet, after further tests and observations, I will get to know whether have to go under surgery or not. So I asked her can she come here for a few months in case of surgery. To my shock she told me your last co-sis is carrying with 5 months we haven't told this to many people yet just from today we started telling everyone. I will have to see if I can or not due date is coming and after that, so many rituals will be there. I know for sure co-sis is not going to come for at least 6-8 months after having a baby if she leaving at 7th month. I knew that MIL is not going to come here for sure, I just wanted to test them for one last time and wanted to show DH how they are. I hate to see ILs always supporting the last son. Their words & behaviors never affected me. But this time I am upset. mil treats co-sis like a princes, doing all chores for her even if she is sick. Whenever co-sis goes to her native for months together mil goes to their house every alternate day to cook, do laundry. When inlaws were here almost 2 years back my last bil got dengue so they preponed their flight 2 weeks and went back to India to take care of bil as if there is no one in India to help them.

Inlaws are self-sufficient they are not dependent on 3 sons. As I know they did not expect any support from any of their sons. Since they don't ask for money/any financial support so DH took care of whenever there is something big expenditures like F-Law's heart surgery twice, changing house appliances, furniture, paying full years tv cable, internet, phone charges in advance. I am ok with these. DH is the 1st son no one's favorite they treat him like a stepchild because MIL don't like FIL & DH got FIL features & also DH is self-made man, very straight forward, practical, 2nd son(live in a different city) FIL favorite & the last son(live in the same city but 2hrs far from ils) is MIL favorite. FIL is a kind of narcissist, MIL is manipulative, liar, jealousy. In-laws were happy for our success or not even supported us emotionally. I hate to see mil's blind love & always favoring only one son.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You know what your MIL is like. Why keep expecting her to change? And if she has such a negative attitude towards your family what is the point of calling her for “help”?
    I would be thankful that they are themselves keeping a distance. You can’t change her behavior, only your reaction.

3. Hana2018

Hana2018 Bronze IL'ite

True. But I thought at least she will emotionally support at this time at least for words.

drdiva likes this.
  4. Rumi

Rumi New IL'ite

Sometimes, its best to not keep expectations to avoid disappointments like this.

Hana2018 likes this.