Upset By A Book I Finished Reading, Broken By Shy Keenan

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SuiDhaaga, Feb 13, 2023.

1. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

I will share a story here that has a positive end and that will help restore faith in some way. It was being forwarded on WhatsApp some years ago. @SuiDhaaga, please read this and it will help bring some calm and peace to you. :)

A young good looking girl is walking alone back home from some place. This is at dusk so it's almost dark and to add to the darkness, the sky is overcast with black heavy clouds. It's windy and signs of a heavy downpour are visible. The girl is scared and starts walking as fast as she can to reach home at the earliest. Just then she reaches an alley that is a short cut to her neighborhood. Although the alley is dark and lonely, she chooses to walk that path with the desire to reach home as soon as possible. Just before starting to walk on that narrow dim-lit alley, she says a quick prayer and prays to God to protect her. She walks briskly, chanting God's name in her mind non-stop. At a bend in the path, she sees a well built but dubious-looking man leaning against the wall of a building and smoking a cigarette. Her heart skips a beat but she now repeats God's name in her mind more fervently. She reaches home safely.

Next day, she hears the news of a man having abused a girl in the same alley that she had walked the previous day. The time of the incident is a little after the time she reached home. She is shocked and tries to find out more about it. She is told that the same man that she had spotted leaning against a wall and smoking cigarette is the culprit. He was waiting there for a potential victim when she passed him. When the man is asked if he had attacked the first girl that he had seen crossing that side, he replies that another girl had passed by before his victim but he did not approach her because a guy was walking closely behind her. He attacked the next girl because she was alone and vulnerable.

Our girl is surprised because she had walked home alone. But then she realized that it must be God that walked behind her and protected her as she was calling Him passionately, with full faith in Him to protect her.

2. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

I appreciate this story, but why did that other girl get molested? Didn't she also pray? Or is the abuse her fault because she didn't pray?

In the book, Shy pray feverishly that she would not get molested, but it happened anyway.

I am reading another book, "Secret Slave" where a girl is kidnapped and kept as a slave (worse rape than Shy endured in "Broken") in a family in UK. She says she says the prayers her great-grandmother taught her, but was still not able to break free for 13 years.