Upset By A Book I Finished Reading, Broken By Shy Keenan

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SuiDhaaga, Feb 13, 2023.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

Hello Ladies

I finished reading book Broken by Shy Keenan

Shy was molested, videotaped and photographed by her step father and his friends.

Child Protective Services said the abuse was her fault.

Even now, Shy has had a horrible adult life with her teenage son taking his own life and her “losing her family”

But what upsets me is, why didn’t Gid listen to Shy when she prayed the abuse to stop?

Does God listen to some people and not others?

How do we ask God to be more in our lives?

Shy says in twitter that she doesn’t believe in God, but only the Good in people and that helps her get through the darknesses

But we all came from somewhere. I’d not God, then whom.

Please discuss.

2. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

when she went thru somuch bad in her life, and then finally good people came around her to help, who put the good people to come help her????

we all are created by ONE THE CREATOR,THE GOD.

GOD DO LISTENS TO US BUT WHEN THE RIGHT TIME COMES EVERYTHING FALLS IN PLACE..

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  3. Lalithambigai

Lalithambigai IL Hall of Fame

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

There once was a man who lived in a two story house. The house was near a river and unfortunately the river began to flood.

As the river rose, warnings were given via radio, TV and shortwave. Large jeeps drove through the area to evacuate people. As a jeep drove by the man's house, he was told:

"You are in danger. Your life is at stake. You must evacuate. Get in the Jeep. Let us help you evacuate."

"No," the man replied from his doorstep. "I have faith. I will be ok. The flood won't get me. God will take care of me."

The water continued to rise.

Soon the man was on the second floor. A boat was going through the area and arrived at the man's house. Rescuers made every effort to convince the man to take action so that his life would be saved.

"You are in danger. Your life is at stake. You will drown in the flood."

"No worries," says the man. "I have faith. Everything is ok. Even though the flood is rising, I will be fine. God will take care of me."

The flood continued to rise.

The man went to the roof to avoid the rising water. A helicopter pilot sees him on top of the roof and hovers above the man. Using a megaphone, the pilot tries to convince the man to grab the rope ladder which was dangling above his head.

"You are in danger. The flood is still rising. You will drown if you do not grab the rope ladder. Let us help you."

"No worries." says the man. "I will be fine. Yes, the flood is higher but I have faith. God will take care of me."

The flood rises. The man drowns.

At the pearly gates, the man says to God: "I had faith. You let me die."

To which God replies: "I sent you a jeep, a boat and a helicopter. What more could I have done for you?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: The Story About a Jeep, a Boat and a Helicopter

swarnamary likes this.
  4. SuiDhaaga

It’s very sad that the right time came too late.

Her book says lot of other adults were so broken by the abuse they faced that they took their own lives.

It’s easy for us with privileged, monotone lives to say God takes his time, bur how do you comfort a person who has been through hell on earth?

5. SuiDhaaga

In her story Shy told the adults of her abuse but either no one believed her or she was punished

1. She told her mother and the other abused siblings denied. The mother beat her and poured washing detergent down her mouth

2. She told her birth father and he killed himself

3. She told child protective services and they out in her re rid that it was her, a small girl who was forcing herself upon her stepfather

I have been thinking and thinking it is easy to have Faith in Gis when you have privileged, monotone, boring life.

But how do people like Shy who are continually faced with trials able to seek our God

What I learned from this book is God is inside of us, ie the good

And God is outside of us, the omnipotent.

And thank God for whatever we have!

swarnamary likes this.
  6. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

When i was 16, i was sexually abused by my uncle who i thought was more like a father to me. Until the day i realised that he had those intentions, i put him above my father coz i grew up with my grandparents and my aunt's family and not my parents.

I had very little interactions with my own father so this uncle was the closest to father i had. When i knew what his intentions were, i couldnt digest it. I didnt know what to do, whom to approach. I did the first thing i thought of - reach out to my mom. I still remember the day i called her, what dress i was wearing, every single second is seared in my memory. I had actually taken a pilgrimage trip with my aunt's family. And he started misbehaving during this trip. So, i was actually in Shirdi when i made the fated phone call to my mom. I asked my aunt if i could talk to my mom and called her from an STD booth and cried my heart out and told her i wanted to come back to the village and i no longer wanted to stay here for studies coz i coudnt take it here. My mom was so scared of my dad and what he would do if he gets to know what my uncle did. So she asked me to be safe wherever i was and pray to god.

It was really a shocker to me. I mean imagine a mom saying this that too when i was 16. my mind went blank. What do i do now. My own mom refused to help me. As i stepped out of the booth which was right outside the shirdi temple and looked at the gopuram and told saibaba that it was now in his hands to save me. If he doesnt i might just end my life. thats all. Coz i realised that when your own mom wouldnt help me, the other 'relations' around me would either deny my situation or maybe would not believe me. Trust me when i say this, this uncle was considered a "ideal person" by the entire family and nobody would have believed me.

Those days, I used to work part time in an institution and for to some reason, i was asked to call this guy to ask him to submit his fee receipt to collect his certificate - then he was one of the students in this institution and a friend of mine. So when i made this call, i spoke to him asking for his receipt, he just asked me, are you ok, you seem upset. That was all. I couldn't control my tears. Imagine how horrible my situation was when i broke down to some random guy who just asked a question - are you ok? over a phone call. But guess what, he was the life line god had sent me. I didn't know that then, nor i think he would have realized what his presence would do to me then.

For the next two years, the torcher continued from my uncle but somehow every time, i managed to escape it only coz of the strength my friend gave me. He was there constantly with me, through night and day over phone. He was the one who brought me out of the nightmare. He gave me courage and confidence. And today, i am married to him with two kids.

Anyway, the point i was trying to make is, most of the time, we tend to think that people who we are used to relying on are the ones who will help us. But it can be some random person also to help us. We don't know why some people come into our life. But this incident made me realize that god sent my husband for me at that time to help me through.

Lets say, i had not spoken what i had said to him, or just kept things to myself, then maybe i would not have been here and I might have ended my life a long time ago. or maybe i would have been a different person. I don't know how i would have but i am sure i would not have been as happy as i am today.

All i am saying is, there are multiple small helps that come around. We at times ignore these coz we are so immersed in our sorrow. it would help to open up a little to someone who is there around. You never know what he or she would end up to be in your life later on.

Now, i always always make it a point to talk to someone who puts a sad status, or looks upset or i see crying. I don't know what they are going through. But maybe my presence might help them brave through things. I ask the same question my husband asked me then - are you ok? IS there something i can do to help you? There have been times when i have ended up listening to their story and towards the end, they would just smile and say they feel better. There have been times when they just look at me and cry their heart out and do or say nothing else and they feel better at the end and times when they just say, no, they are fine but thank me for checking up on them coz they feel good that they have someone who cares about them to ask after them.

Never lose faith and never lose hope is my formula in life which i follow.

Mistt, Swetha52003, Laks09 and 6 others like this.
  7. godsgp

godsgp Silver IL'ite

This is is burning question of my life.
    And there is no answer to it.
    For the person who I seek this answer for, who aligned his whole life with God and humanity and selflessness and was heartbroken with the unfairness of the whole deal is no more.
    And deep within my heart I know many others will walk the same plank with the same blindfold of unanswered questions.

8. pawarju

pawarju Bronze IL'ite

9. pawarju

pawarju Bronze IL'ite

Lots of ladies are going thru or went thru this haressment at childhood or teenage. But how we cross this bridge and move ahead is the talent.

nayidulhan likes this.
  10. godsgp

godsgp Silver IL'ite

Dear OP.
    I am sorry that you had to go through this.
    I have a similar experience to quote but I will not bring it up here.
    No little girl ,no woman should ever have to go through this but unfortunately our world is full of predators. However, we may try to glorify our culture such tales exist everywhere and are insensitively and unsupportively brushed under the carpet. The perfectness of our families and society is to a level very fake and there is a lot of denial of the adverse which happens everywhere, to it. The ladies or people who stand up to such issues are labeled with ostracized.
    I am glad that you had a confidante all along and that he went on to become your partner without judgment is a great development.
    It is also great to know that you are such a empathetic person. The world needs people like you to make it a better place.