1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Untouched Panchangam

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Apr 26, 2020.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

It was 13th April. My brother-in-law, sister's husband aged 87, who has never stepped into any doctor's clinic for any illness, stepped
    out of the house to buy panchangam( Srirangam koil Vakya Panchangam ) in Mylapore.
    After walking an hour he got the panchangam , and was walking towards his single bed room flat in Abhiramapuram.
    Some swirl! He tried not to care.Yet overpowered by it, he fell down on the road.
    Some people rarely walking on the road, helped him.He could not get up. Was brought home through some auto.
    My sister aged 80 with severe spine problem peeped through balcony.
    Liftless construction!Second floor flat. Living there for 40 long years.Inmates helped to make him sit on a chair and lifted him to the flat.
    Reeling with pain! Through ambulance he was taken to two or three nursing homes.But was denied admission as he had 100.6degrees temperature.My sister says he had no fever at all.
    Thereafter the same ambulance carried him to General Hospital,x rays taken. Hip fracture confirmed and also a small fracture near ankle. GH doctors placed small sticks and placed plaster of paris bandage in the ankle and advised to contact after May 3rd for surgery in the hip.
    Brought home again.Many people including me advised my sister to do the operation immediately and to postpone it may lead to many problems.

Due to corona, nobody could go with her except a friend from her flat.
    On New years Day, with the panchangam remaining still on the table, he was shifted to St.Isabel's Hospital in Mylapore. After preliminary exams etc etc he was operated upon for his hip surgery on 15th April with spinal anaesthesia.
    His recovery was really fast for his age.On the third day he was made to stand and take a few steps by the physiotherapist.After post operative care he was shifted to the room. My sister was staying in the hospital.
    She was planning to buy air bed and a special cot.
    On the 5th day, his haemoglobin showed a decline to 8.2.They started blood tranfusion.
    He was taking food as usual.
    On the sixth day he complained of some breathing problem. He was administered oxygen.As the intake of oxygen was poor, he was given nebulizer.
    He seemed to improve.As no transport was available, no one else could go except our cousin who was staying in a walking distance from the hospital.
    On the seventh day, doctors tried to give enema for making him relieve after 4 days.
    There was a hit.
    As the enema was being given his BP and pulse literally fell down to the minimum.
    Taking some signature from my sister doctors shifted him to ICU with ventilator and gave 48 hrs time for recovery.
    Huge expenditure! Heavy drugs! Eyes closed! No movement at all!
    There was gripping fear.
    How long can a ventilator lend support to a dying person? I had phone after phone.
    After 72 hrs of ventilation, and kidney failure we decided to take him out of ventilator and wanted him to have a natural death after 45 mts.
    The hospital authorities didn't permit to take him out.There were so many arguments/counter arguments. Ultimately asked my sister to give it in writing that she is not for dialysis.Yet they didn't care to detach the ventilator.
    There was a threatening that they will shift the patient to Royapettah if she was unable to pay the charges.
    At last she agreed to pay ventilator charges for the next 48 hrs.
    On the 11th day he was stated to have had cardiac arrest again( God only knows what happened ) and was declared dead.

I had been in touch with a Sastrigal in Mambalam for the past two days for arrangement for cremation of a person who was yet to die.
    Around 11 o'clock they gave death cert, we contacted Sastri to fix slot in the evening at Besant Nagar crematorium.
    Hospital authorities were helpful in keeping the body in the mortuary managed by Fenn and Co in Thousand Lights for three hrs .
    Time was up for my sister to pack off and go home. Body was taken to mortuary. Around 2.30 Fenn and Co took the body by a van, kept the body inside the compound of my sister's residence for 20 mts and proceeded to Besant nagar.
    No religious ceremony was performed at home, no coconut sheaths and no pot of fire.
    His brother's son came in time . Only he and no one else accompanied the van to crematorium.
    At this corona season Gnana vapi and other organizations are closed and only cremation is the ritual that is done,which cannot be postponed.All other customary ceremonies from 9 to 13 days have to be performed only after 6 months, when corona may recide.Sastri said that those ceremonies can be performed within three years.

I got ride in a car offered by our relative.We got pass ,on line, producing the death record and my own Aadhar.
    Only the flat in mates,around 15, all in mask were standing out of the flat to pay respects .
    It is unfortunate that the sickness and death coincided with corona curfew during which travel was totally banned.
    It was such a horrible experience to arrange everything through phone , not visiting the hospital, not consoling my sister.At least I am thankful to Sastri who arranged for booking in the crematorium.
    A great lesson learnt! we can only pray that no one should experience such tension during curfew!
    jayasala42

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Dear jayasala maam,
    so sorry to hear the loss of your brother in law , that too in such circumstances. My deep condolences. May his soul rest in peace. Hope someone will be staying with your sister throughout this period.

3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Akka

Sorry to hear the loss of your brother in law.May his soul rest in peace and may God give courage to his family to face the situation

4. jayasala42

She has no issues. Her husband's brother,his wife are in Bombay.Though we are in Chennai, I can;t move leaving my ailing husband .i had to help her with vadysr, mortuary etc through phone only. On the day of death I just visited her for two hrs. It is so horrible in travelling on roads even in cars. We have to crease the palms of security in thousands in many areas.
    jayasala 42

joylokhi likes this.
  5. jayasala42

Thank you Viji. A rare corona experience!
    jayasala42

iyerviji likes this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

True. Noone should go through this situation. Pray God everything becomes normal soon

joylokhi likes this.
  7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Scary and procedures on predictable lines in any hospital more so in corporate hospitals.When I admitted Mythili in Apollo teynampet,based on an insiders advice I gave a letter to the hospital.I stated that I did not want aggressive treatment including ICU and that we were solely responsible for consequences arising out of the decision.After considerable argument she was treated in a private ward and discharged a few days later.I have prepared a living will for myself on these lines but left out some judicial procedure to enforce the living will.Right from the beginning we have to make it clear that we will not blindly accept whatever they say and subject ourselves to physical pain and monetary looting.SLN

joylokhi likes this.
  8. jayasala42

We have also prepared a living Will. But is it legal? and do hospitals act on living will if it is not legalized? I heard that in Tamilnadu there are certain problems in enforcing Living Will. Can you please guide as to how it can be legalized.

jayasala42

9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

I was lazy and further my daughters will brush it away.Let the lock down be over so that I can pursue the matter and let you know. My good friend passed away few years back in Deavaki hospital after unnecessarily keeping him in ICU.His son has sued the hospital.
    The racket runs like this ;
    Get complete blood test done even if you had done it a fortnight back.
    ECG,ECHO are a must if you are 60+
    CT Scan/MRIwill follow-simultaneously they will push you into ICU-Ventilator/tracheostomy will follow
    Doctors connected and unconnected will visit with appropriate charges.
    When they get a new patient for the ICU they will shift you to a ward for observation.Obviously BP,Blood sugar check up will be done to justify keeping you in the ward.
    The whole thing is nauseating.Last time after endoscopy,colonoscopy I asked them to discharge me the next day.With reluctance the Doctor sent me away"at patients request"It was a a wednesday and they would have kept me till friday had I not been alert.You have to handle the issue diplomatically as well as firmly.Shall get back to you on your querry at the earliest.
    Regards SLN

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

My heartfelt condolences to your sister and her family. It is extremely painful to hear what happened and how his family struggled to treat him and again perform his final rites. Is it true that 13 days of ceremonies can be done within 3 years? I didn't realize even cremation is difficult.

I saw a video of a Christian doctor whose body was not buried and finally, the Hindu crematorium performed a cremation for his body. What kind of days we are all living in. I don't even know what are essential services and what is not.

Viswa