1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Unspoken Language

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

This is about unspoken language or language that is still alive but not spoken. I am not talking about Sanskrit. In a world where the strength of vocabulary plays a prominent role, this skill is effective and communicates what is being thought about. Yes. It is unspoken element of communication one uses to reveal one’s true feelings, emotions through gestures, facial expressions and postures. Depending on the culture, it is understood differently.

When my business partner moved from Italy to the US at the age of 11 or 12, he didn’t know a word of English and hence you used body language to communicate with everyone. This habit has made him an expert in reading body language over a period.

A mother understands the child by its actions before he/she begins communicating with her. As tired the young mother is, she could easily read why the child is uncomfortable.

Let us take for example communication between the spouses. After they understand each other, the body language communicates a lot more with each other than spoken words. A simple stare when a topic is discussed in the presence of others would not only arrests any more uttering but also motivates to quickly change the topic. In a joint family where everyone is assembled in the living room watching TV, when the spouse calls seeking help, mostly it is to discuss something privately. Even a simple drop of a vessel communicates so much about the disinterest of the spouse. Even lack of enthusiastic conversation conveys to review all that happened since morning.

With the smartphone and other gadgets active almost all hours, communication with the teen children also requires a little more effort than normal. They only answer in one or two words at best and only on need to know basis. Further questioning sometimes results in shrug of the shoulders or a simple “whatever” response. Therefore, the eye contact and the demeanor when our line of questioning is responded becomes key to learn more.

The body language is differently read in various cultures. Sometimes, “Yes Sir” is viewed as sarcasm in America where the first name is used to address people unless they are professors whereas it is extremely common in Asia and Europe. Folded arm is reverence in India whereas it is an indication of someone being disengaged, disinterested or unhappy in a conversation in the US. A firm handshake is considered as confidence where as a hand extended looking downwards is considered indication of domination or superiority.

In criminal investigations, the investigators use very effective tools to draw out the maximum information from the person being interrogated. They closely watch the body language of the person to understand how much they could rely upon their responses. Even when someone is not opening their mouth, their looking down indicates “guilt” sometimes and looking up indicates “catch me if you can” attitude sometimes. Sometimes they make the interrogated person stand up or the investigator stand up to communicate that they are running out of patience.

Psychologists and Psychiatrists study a lot from the body language of their patient. If they are accompanied by someone who is intimidating, they can understand from the patient’s expressions and ask that person to leave so that they could discuss one on one with the patients. The finger moments, hand gestures, sitting posture, eye position, shoulder moments, position of the legs, etc., communicates a lot to them about the condition of the patient.

Understanding the pets is an interesting part in life as well. They sometimes communicate through their wagging (when they are happy) or hidden (when they are scared) tail, eye contact to communicate something, quick movement to express their excitements, circling the same place to express the urgency and many more.

When I eliminate the spoken language and begin watching only the body language, it opens a whole new world to me.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Interesting read, Viswa. It is indeed amazing how parents cotton onto what is going on, no matter how much one tries to hide something. I could never tell a lie without being caught out, could never be absolutely miserable without mom refusing to accept 'nothing' as a response to her questioning. Eventually I'd break down and everything would be out.

As for body language, I have certainly learned to read the BL of my Lady Antoinette and Woman Friday. I have also learned when to ignore those signals and when to act on them so as not to precipitate a crisis! :)

3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When I was a child my mother used to say she has eyes in the back of her head. She always knew where I was and what I was up to. I was a little skeptical about the eyes bit, but deep down I believed she had some magical vision that helped her keep track of my shenanigans. I never bothered to lie to her; She always knew. Now that I'm a mother I realize it was nothing more than a mother's penetrating observation skills and an uncanny intuition about her kids. These days my little ones marvel at my magical powers.

Just this morning my husband was taking stock (pun not intended) of our brokerage account. When you login, they text a code as a secondary verification. Without a word, he started looking around and I made an absentminded gesture from the other side of the room. He saw me and went back to what he was doing. Neither he nor I would have made any sense to a bystander but we both knew what the other meant. I knew he wanted his phone and he knew I meant he could check his watch for the notification. I'd read somewhere that in general wives were better nonverbal encoders than husbands, I wonder why? Also husbands accurately decoding their wives' nonverbal cues was a predictor of the overall health of the marriage. I can certainly attest to that! : )

4. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Viswa sir,
    Unspoken Language - Title is poetic made me think that its the language of the heart where two souls need not explicitly say anything but they would know what goes in other’s mind.

Too many times I have reacted to unspoken languages and ended up getting into trouble. Like the art of giving have to master the non-reactivity towards unspoken language.

my kids used to say this all the time. Mother’s simply know. :)

5. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra,

This an interesting topic and a lifetime is not enough to decode fully. I was a fan of the book by Allan Pease(?) On Body language. When there is empathy and the understanding is good, silence can also communicate a lot and we even seem to develop ESP! As the other ladies have said, women seem better at reading and understanding all that is said, unsaid and even thought of by the husband!;)

In the olden days, people could get away with non-verbal communication and/or defend themselves. But now with the cameras everywhere, non-verbal communication is as important as the verbal. The next level in communication could be mind-reading!:(

sindmani, Gauri03, kkrish and 5 others like this.
  6. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa uncle,

At this hectic, high tech phase we are living, indeed the unspoken language is not spoken about a lot. As the years pass by, my husband and I have reduced expressing our feelings through words. We can simply see each other whether something bother him/her or she/he is happy or not. Similarly, now kids know whether they are in a good book or bad book by looking at me at times.

If I go to a restaurant or waiting in a public place, or sitting with my colleagues at the lunch table, my favourite thing is to observe people. It is fascinating to see how people express themselves.

Yet again, you have chosen a beautiful topic uncle.

love,
    Vani

kkrish, satchitananda, jskls and 3 others like this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra
    Consider my "like" and the emojis as the unspoken language commending a very nice article!:thumbup: :beer-toast1::number_one::thumbsup:!
    A picture is worth a thousand words! So it's a four thousand word compliment I have given.

8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,

It is no amazement that you can handle any subject with ease.You have encompassed so many things in a lovely snippet as an abridged thesis.

My sister's sister-in-law had three children born deaf and mute.All the members of the family had the situational urgency or necessity to communicate by signs from the early years.My sister having lived with them ,out of habit, used the sign language whenever she came home.They never committed a single mistake in understanding since they became experts in sign language by using the same for each and every activity.For others it may pose some problem.The children( around my age then) came to our house for vacation along with our nephews and nieces.
    It was a strange experience for a day or two. As I was 15, I was able to appreciate their intelligence in communicating even complicated things with signs.All said and done, using sign language for each and every activity differs in various aspects from what we ,with ability to speak, communicate in sign language .
    Theirs is very plain ,simple and humble while the language specially selected by us for special use and occasion have cunning connotations sometimes,the language differing while we refer to different persons.

Jayasala 42

Gauri03, kkrish, jskls and 2 others like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Dear Satchi,

Thank you for your very first response. It only shows the love and chemistry between the parents and the child when you fail miserably when you attempt to tell a lie. You need intense training from Trump even today.

Yes, it is important to learn the body language of those helping us at home. Even the gossip they share with us would have embedded message for us. If they are appreciating a neighbor of being generous, it means, she is expecting something big from you. :chatter: Sometimes, you can even predict the previous day whether they are going to show up for work the next day or not.

Viswa

kkrish and satchitananda like this.
  10. Viswamitra

@Gauri03,

Tell me about it. Even my mother used to tell she has not only vision on the back of her heard but also an XRay vision to see from the distance. When she leaves the house, she used to lock a cupboard where all her nice tasting sweets used to be stored and warn my brother and I not to touch them as she would be able to see it wherever she was. There is a lot of difference between boys and girls and we never believe her threat even once.

Soon after she left, my brother used to lift me to access the top drawer so that I can remove it entirely from the cupboard. Then we both have unlimited access by inserting our entire hand from the top to access any amount of sweets. Unfortunately, my mother knew our tastes and if the regular laddus were missing, it was me and if Rava laddus were missing, it was my brother. We both used to get punishment.

You and your hubby are definitely too good in your understanding of each other. My MIL tells the same everyday about my wife and I. She definitely knows how to communicate with me without uttering one word. That reminds me about my FIL who used to be schooled not to say certain things in front of the guests. He used to exactly say that and when my MIL used to stare at him, he used to reply in front of all the guests, "Why are you staring at me? Did I say something that you told me not to say it in front of them?" :BangHead:

Viswa

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018