1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Unreasonable DILs

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Malyatha, May 29, 2009.

1. raha256

raha256 Bronze IL'ite

Madam,

whatever u have stated is not fair. Not many girls are taking their parents along with them.. . ONLY FEW. that too they go for their daughter's delivery, taking care of a small kid etc,. which means to help their daughter and not to have fun. They get verbal abusement to take approval from their husbands to bring their parents too . Most of the Girls parents I have known never create a trouble (atleast 80%). they stay away from their daughter and son in laws. Not all the expenses are paid by the son in laws. I think most of the girls parents dont take money from their daughter after marriage. Instead they give.

Your case is an exception. You have good IL. But 90% of today's DIL have bad realtionship with IL's.

raha

Raha ,

Nothing is for any class here. The person you refferring to has only made a general statement. In line with the orignal discussion. Please do not take any discussions to a personal level and include others too . Please leave general topics as they are. Thank You.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. swaram

swaram Senior IL'ite

Unreasonable DILs do exist. One example is my BILs wife. MY IL's, SIL treat her like the queen and me like a doormat. I used to treat ILS and SILs so good, do all kinds of things for them etc but got bad treatment till I finally got fed up after 12 years and stopped all my contacts with them. DH and kids relations with them are still the same. But BIL's wife from day one will wake up at 10 am on weekends go out then come back take a nap and go out in the evening etc. Zero help for MIL in the house and on top of it BIL will tell his mom what his wife likes and she will cook those for her. Reason for that is BIL will say my wife works during weekdays she needs to rest during weekends and MIL will join and day oh take rest dear you must be tired etc. Looks like she is the only one who works in this planet. I have been working all along.

after 2 years they moved out to a separate house. But my ILS were expected to cook and send food for them for the whole week etc. Once when we had gone to india and all of us (MIL, me, kids, FIL, SILs, BIL and his wife) were to go out, FIL was the first to get ready. She just said why should he come he should just stay home, if he comes then we will need to take another car, and I am too tired to drive. BTW it was a 30 min drive. Nobody said anything and FIL stayed home and on the return she calls home and tells FIL we are returning make tea, and this 70 + year old man followed her instructions and as soon as we got home she came and sat on the couch and he delivered the tea for her on the couch. this happened in her house not even my ILs place.

Although I feel bad for my ILs - I also feel they deserve it. Even today I cannot treat them that badly as how she treats them. To begin with she is their favorite DIL and they have never given her any problems and BIL will not let anybody say a word about her and is a complete yes man to her. I treated them well, and still they continue their drama with me. So in a way i am happy that they have to deal with her. Even if they cannot show it outside, I am sure they feel bad when they get treated like that.

Swaram

3. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

Yes,100%, I agree that there are DILs out there who think like this, but would not generalize and say that the MAJORITY of DILs are like this. It is just a draw of the luck. Some very nice, responsible DILs get evil MILs who set out to harass / abuse / mistreat their MILs from the start and some good MILs get DILs from H@ll who enter the marriage DETERMINED to "steal" their husbands away from their FOOs. These DILs usually have the support of their parents in such activities and what I've seen is that many of these DILs are those who have NO brothers. So their parents are not exactly concerned about what their sammandis undergo when the DILs try to separate the husbands from their parents and siblings, because they have no sons, themselves. Moreover, these parents are oftentimes selfish themselves and suffer from major insecurities, and if they feel that their daughter is the dominant one in her marriage, then it would be to THEIR advantage, so they even covertly encourage their daughters' behavors.

This is why I raised my last question in the OP. Why do the husbands / sons go along with their wives' partisan behavior? Why doesn't a husband tell his wife that if her parents are able to come and go at will, then that his parents should also be able to come and go at will? That what is sauce for the goose (the wife's parents) is also sauce for the gander (the husband's parents)? I would blame the husbands for failing to stand up to their wives and demanding that the couple treat both sides of the extended families equally. Many times, the wife gets away with bloody murder simply because her husband is too weak or too naive to see through his wife's games and goes blindly along with everything that the wife decides (which decisions are USUALLY favorable to her parents and biased against his!)

I have married brothers and male cousins, so I see. first-hand, the way some DILs act. I always urge the PILs of such DILs to not take any nonsense from the DILs and to tell them from the outset that while they (PILs) respect their (DILs') position as their sons' wives, they (PILs) are not going to 'disappear' from the picture entirely, because they are and always will be HIS parents! I also urge the PILs to have open, family discussions with BOTH the sons AND their wives present, so that the sons / husbands are kept in the loop about simmering issues and can do something about these before it is too late. Ultimately, the onus is on the sons / husbands to strike a fair balance between both sides and so far, the men in my own family seem to have done this to SOME extent.

Sometimes, however, the PILs have to fight their OWN battles with their DILs. If they are good and have tried their best to include their DILs in their families, only to be repeatedly rebuffed by the younger women, then, rather than complain to the sons, the PILs should take the bull by the borns and confront their DILs directly. They should make it clear that rhe DILs cannot just waltz in, and "take the husbands away" from their parents and siblings, to become 100% enmeshed with their (wives') FOOs. This may make them quite unpopular with the evil DIL but such confrontations are necessay to ensure that the PILs are not taken undue advantage of by their sons or their meddling wives / in-laws.

You are very lucky to have had good in-laws. I have not been that lucky and many of the women who post here are also not that lucky, either. As I said above, it is all a luck of the draw.

I do not agree to the term "ALL GIRLS". The above would only apply to bad DILs who have good in-laws, DILs who are the subject of this thread. Many in-laws DO accept their DILs with love, only to be snubbed in return by the DILs, but there are many other DILs who are abused from the get-go by mentally ill or entitled or evil PILs / SILs, who not only refuse to treat their DILs as daughters / sisters, but also as even fellow HUMAN BEINGS! What about these DILs? How can we accuse them of not showering love on the husbands' families (the same families that refuse to respect or accept them (DILs))???

Generalizations are never good, and generalizing in-law relationships is a great mistake because not all PILs are good, and not all DILs are bad.

4. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

WOW, she didn't want your FIL to come along and NO ONE said a word in protest? And she orders FIL to make tea?? WOW, your BIL must be a hen-pecked coward to allow his witchy wife to treat his elderly father in that manner!

It's one thing to be protective about one's wife but another thing to be completely ruled by her. BTW, is this BIL living in India while the rest of you lives abroad?

5. swaram

swaram Senior IL'ite

Malyatha,

BIL used to live in india while us and 2 SIL's live in US. But now he is in US too. Initially I thought due to him being in India thats why IL's put up with all this especially since I know what the IL's are capable of. But once FIL had to be admitted in emergency and they were there for almost a whole day and then things were okay and he got discharged. Neighbors were the one to drive them to hospital - given it is emergency and BIL lives 45 min away time is of the essence to get to the hospital requesting neighbors help is the right thing to do. But BIL did not even visit them in the hospital and to return home from the hospital they hired a cab and came back. BIL being in india and the rest being in US is no different. Again they are visiting US for 6 months this year to stay with all the kids, BIL's wife's parents are visiting US too - they reach 4 days before IL's and leave 4 days before them. So at best IL's get to stay with BIL for 2 days. His wife's parents were to come 2 months before but once IL's told their program, she changed her parents program.

Even now IL's and 2 SIL's call her world best DIL. I can't figure out what is happening or happened.

Swaram

6. thinkpositive

thinkpositive New IL'ite

hey Swaram, read your post dated November 08 about how your inlaws treated/continue to treat you badly, and then read this reply of yours where you describe how your co-sis treats your in-laws now. I dont have anything new to add to this discussion other than to say "Treat the people who do bad things to you in a bad way, treat the good people in your life in a good way". I've been reading hundreds of posts by DILs on this forum about how badly they've been treated by their in-laws and also their husbands(and some of the posts made my hair stand on end!), yours is the first tale I'm reading where the bad in-laws got paid back in their own coin, and however unfortunate it sounds, am happy that there is some justice in this world, however unforeseen it might be! In an ideal world the old parents wouldnt have been left alone to fend for themselves after an emergency visit to the hospital and take orders from the bahu, however in this case maybe your bil is justified in taking precautions and siding with his wife knowing the history of his parents! Maybe you can take some tips from your co-sis in how to have a relationship with the hubby where the hubby sides with the wife (though maybe not take the lessons where she teaches you how to mistreat the in-laws - that's not right in my view)

7. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

I can think of only two reasons.

(1) The ILs are in denial.

or

(2) They hate your co-sis as much as they hate you but do not want to share this view with you. I know ILs who have multiple DILs tend to play one against the other, so that the DILs do not unite against the ILs. A neighbor of my parents has three DILs and she's always praising the other two DILs to whichever DIL she is staying or communicating with at that point of time. In reality, she hates ALL three (and with good reason, too). When I asked her why she does this, she says that she is 'dividing and conquering' - she is afraid that if she b1tches about any one to the other two and they all compare notes, they would realize that she dislikes all of them equally, and gang up against her. So, she purposely praises all of them to the other two even though, in reality, she cannot stand any of them! Maybe your ILs are doing the same, even though they hate your co-sis as much as they dislike you.

BTW, agreed your PILs have been mean and nasty to you. BUT, even so, your BIL must be a FIRST CLASS loser to permit his wife to treat his parents like that. What a jerk. I hope this couple has sons, as well, so that this comes back to bite your BIL & co-sis in the butt in time.

8. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

You know, I can understand a SNIL or DIL not wanting to be there for their PILs but I really do not think that it is right for the son or the daughter to not be there for elderly parents (esp. when they have just had medical problems) or to permit their spouses to bully their parents.

The husband in question (Swaram's BIL) may be justified in protecting his wife from his parents' abusive behavior, but how is he justified in not being there for his parents and / or permitting his wife to treat them shabbily? Whatever it is, they are HIS parents, and while it's one thing to protect your wife from your parents' abuse, it is completely a different thing to not only not extend the same 'protection' to your parents but to also OPENLY permit your wife to bully your parents around (no matter how bad they supposedly are).

I believe that it is due to people like Swaram's BIL that there are still wars, droughts and famine on the Planet. No righteousness in such people whatsoever at all.

I REALLY hope that Swaram's BIL has sons of his own and gets saddled with DILs just like his wife. OR, if he has only daughters, then I hope that his daughters treat Swaram's BIL & co-sis just like BIL treats his parents and that their SNILs are extremely domineering men who kick @ss, disrespect and abuse Swaram's BIL & co-sis JUST like Swaram's BIL's wife abuses HIS parents. In fact, that
    is my PRAYER for Swaram's BIL & co-sis.

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  9. thinkpositive

thinkpositive New IL'ite

As I said, in an ideal world the old parents wouldnt have been left alone to fend for themselves after an emergency visit to the hospital , but knowing his parents history maybe the BIL thought it better to stay away(they would create more drama, twist circumstances etc etc). I personally cant justify that coz my personal experience doesnt extend to toxic inlaws(touchwood, may it remain this way forever) but who knows what the BIL thought, its all conjecture on your part and my part anyway! I wouldnt wish ill on even my worst enemies, leave alone PRAY for bad things to happen to them, deal with negative people/circumstances in a positive manner and move on, living well is the best revenge i say.

10. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

Then let us simply agree to disagree, ThinkPositive.

Regarding "conjecture", well, IMO, the way we react to posts here are all based on our personal interpretations of what is stated here, so in a way, most everything here involves some sort of "conjecture", whether intended or not.

But if one treats people who do bad things to one in a bad way, then how is that "dealing with negative people in a positive manner and moving on"?

Thank you. Actually, that is exactly what I'm "praying for" - for "justice" to visit Swaram's BIL & co-sister in due course of time.

Last edited: May 31, 2009