1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Unproductivity at the heart of our culture

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by MeenLoch, Sep 1, 2010.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

In my recent summer vacation I was in India. When you suddenly visit your own country after having lived outside, you can see blatantly some of it's features unlike people who are living there.

I went shopping, visited temples, visited doctors, met relatives, in essence I traveled a lot, either by trains or buses or cars or autos. Just simply looking made it so obvious that so many Indians are jobless by choice. Amidst several hardworking and bright individuals that we possess, many live a life of mediocrity and lethargy. They wait to be called for work. So many people sitting on platforms doing nothing or lying drunk. How can the country prosper if it has to serve more people than people who actually serve it back ?

As for the ones who have valid jobs, many of us look for short cuts or finish it off fast and come home. Where are values like integrity ? Isn't work like our baby who needs to be equally cared ? Amidst this there are so many dependants 'doing nothing'. I have such people in my own extended family, spending time uselessly. These are ones who have retired/ work from 9 to 5 to sleep/watch TV for the rest.

It will be hard for you to deny the existence of countless useless hours people have in our country.

The scenario is lot different in developed countries like America. I still see people doing NOTHING, but atleast the numbers are lesser. True that we have more opportuntiies here, but is it also not because the people are working harder or are more efficient ?

Isn't it the onus of the person to find some useful work that he/she likes? At the least, they can serve the society or their families, but NO - ' laziness' is so deeply
    engraved in many of us.

It's hard for the overall country to support such people. It's harder for the breadwinners/supporters to handle such people especially when the lazy ones are older. I am not sure if I have been skewed having expeirenced it in recent past, but I feel that lazy people are burden to their families and society and eventually to the nation.

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

It is a powerful writing. I don't go often to India, but as senior citizen of USA, I can some benefits in this society. I am taking about senior Citizens or retired people. People don't live with children because of that they have to go out for shopping etc. Every ton has facilities for senior citizen. They can become a member of the senior center and learn stuff. It makes you go out. Older people are not treated well in our society. somo of the readers are going to get mad at me. I ma nearing 60, and i still take classes, go to the senior center etc.NO one makes fun of me. If we have facilities like that in India, I am sure older retired people will use it. Otherwise, they have no entertainment except TV.

3. mayachaudhuri

mayachaudhuri Senior IL'ite

I agree with you that yes, we indians are lazy. but in my last visit to india I found that the main reason may not be in the genes only but due to weather . the hot humid weather where you walk 5 mins and you are sweating like a pig takes half the energy ! becaudpse the same indians abroad turn into the most productive people .

4. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

I think its mainly because most of us require a push from behind to get a work done. That is why "the same indians abroad turn into the most productive people ." Becuase they cant afford to be lazy and careless there.

5. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

@amihere. You said it clearly. We take the system there for granted. Short cuts are part of our lives in India.

@maya - weather is bad, but it's attitude too. I know field engineers here who stay in harsh climate all day long. Results matter a lot here in US.

@coffeelover - I wish there was a senior center too, but there are so many other options like 'katha/kadai', 'kutcheries', 'impart their wisdom to grandkids'. My gradfather who is nearing 88, walks around his aprtment and asks quiz from little children playing around, he reads epics and tells us the moral of our story( how long since we had our mother telling it to us), he does japa for all his kids and grandkids, then he reads newspaper or meets other aged people around. It's what some people choose to do.

@coffeelover -