1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Unproductive Housewives!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sureshmiyer, Jul 29, 2010.

1. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

“By and large, mothers and housewives are the only workers who do not have regular time off. They are the great vacationless class.”
    Anne Morrow Lindbergh.

A man whose wife died in a car accident was awarded very low compensation as his wife is a housewife, and hence lumped with non-productive categories as beggars and prostitutes in the census. The Supreme Court has again come to the rescue in correcting this anomaly and has rightly taken the government to task.

Our nation derives a lot of hidden value from the efforts of millions of unpaid workers (including homemakers) who are not seen as “productive” in economic terms. These women, who take care of the domestic front and keep their husbands focused in the so called ‘productive’ work are the silent champions as, besides helping their husbands, they have a motivating hand in raising their children, who are the future of this country. Women have the inborn talent of multi-tasking. My wife who works in the private sector has an amazing knack of efficiently completing tasks both at office and at home.

Freedom to women does not cater only to the women who work and earn money. Women’s liberalization includes the right to choose. If a woman decides that she would rather stay at home and tend to the household and children, that choice must be respected.

In fact, many women go to work especially in government offices to escape from the tough, backbreaking housework and keep away from the nagging children. Those aspects are taken care of the maidservants and the child-care centers, which are rendered rather productive! What an irony.

Having said that, the very argument that all paid work is productive lacks basis.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Three girls were discussing with each other, while coming from school.

First one “Do you know my father is the fastest man in the world. If he throws a spear and runs along with it, he will reach the spot well before the spear itself.

Second one “That is so slow, my father runs faster than a bullet.”

Third one listens to all this very silently and claims with a broad smile.

“My father is faster than both of yours. He goes to office every day and his duty time ends at 1800 hrs. But he reaches home well within 1500 hrs.”

2. jaishvats

jaishvats Bronze IL'ite

One of my friends said "I work nine hours five days a week and weekend just flies by". I remarked "I work 7 days a week almost 24X7 and get no day off". Its not easy being a homemaker especially if you have kids.

Good article Suresh!

3. sureshmiyer

you are right
    thanks for your views

warm regards
    suresh

4. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

People have for long ignored house-wives to be productive, even today I have come across so many households around me that stand to continue believing in it, so much so that the women themselves see nothing great in themselves (to my utter shock they speak in that manner too!). Its changing now in urban cities, but a lot of illeterate households still hold to the odd belief. Wonder how soon would that begin to change!

P.S : Remined me one of the dialogues from "Bruce Almighty" though a bit out of point.

A single mother who has 2 jobs and works 7 days a week but still finds the time to take her child to his football match, that’s a miracle

5. sureshmiyer

thanks for your views

loved the quote in the end

warm regards
    suresh

6. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Suresh

Food for thought....good blog...if only india had no home makers and all women were working, then mostof the men and inlaws would have understood the value of a homemaker and give her equal respect...but again..depends on the brought up too....

7. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Hi Suresh, Simply loved this write up... Thousand thoughts raised in my mind... I liked when you said women as "Silent Champions"...

When will husbands or children stop saying "My wife/ mom is JUST a housewife... "

At the same time the way you pointed out the irony, women who get out to work just to escape from home, is infact a bitter truth.

I raise my hands to support House Wives... Oh no Sorry Home Makers.

8. sureshmiyer

Thanks for your views

warm regards
    suresh

9. sureshmiyer

thanks for your views

warm regards
    suresh