1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Uno...Dros..Tres..The number game...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ashwiniks79, Mar 1, 2010.

1. ashwiniks79

ashwiniks79 Bronze IL'ite

This morning when I was pouring milk to my son’s breakfast cereal he asked me can I have the numbered milk, meaning can he have the 2% milk that me and my husband use(The number 2 will be written on the carton). I give him whole milk and its carton says the letter D on it. He wanted the numbered milk and not the lettered milk.

I told him as he is little it is good for his health to have the lettered milk and not the numbered one. Then he immediately asked me so after I grow up can I have the numbers???? I said yes, you can and he was convinced and started to have his cereal, But I could not…..:rant

I was thinking about the statement he made….growing up and having the numbers. And that’s what we do as and when we grow up…Think about the numbers and forget about the letters.

The number game starts right at birth, you are the first son/daughter, second grandchild or third cousin… and you know the count can go on…:drowning
    In school you get a roll number, your name will not be called while taking attendance. Either teacher or you should yell out your number. The same thing continues when you give your exams, you don’t write your name but you write your Hall ticket number…(Thank god we IL's have screen names to choose, just imagine hi 46754, how are you doing?????? )

Your future depends on the numbers as well. Admission to colleges is based on the rank that you get in the entrance exam (another number…:bonk). Then you get a job based on the marks you get, and now the number game becomes more aggressive.

After you get a job you start to worry about lot of different numbers. Numbers on your pay check, marriage, number of kids you want to have and as and when the number on your age goes up, you worry about your B.P numbers, diabetic numbers, cholesterol numbers and all sorts of such things.(Imagine a doctor saying you have only X number of days to live, I remember the title of one thread here..My Days are numbered)

Numbers are not that bad after all, imagine the number of times your loved ones say I Love You, number of times your kids make you mad and number of times you think and smile about it, number of times you fight with your friends and make up(Like the dishum dishum friendship thread) and all sweet little things like that and i also love this song from Ricky martin..Un Dros Tres...

I just came out of this number game and surprisingly my son had finished his breakfast and smiled at me with his two big brown eyes wide open….God that was so cute….:)

What number is in your mind now????

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ashwini

Numbers really play an important role in our life. When we get less marks in school we get disappointed. When we get less salary we aim to reach high level.

Good post and enjoyed reading it
    love
    viji

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ashwini,

what a lovely post this is.Life is all numbers eh !

Fro me, how many number of pegs will i drink, how many ciggies, hahahaha.

And for u, now on, how many number of FB's u will get?:rotflRight now just 2, but remember this number will go up to 30 at least for this lovely lovely post.

Regards

kamal

4. susri

susri Silver IL'ite

Dear Aswini
    Cute post. Yup, numbers have merged in our life . My DS is 5yrs. Even now I have to count 1..2..3.. for almost all the work should be done by him, right from the wakeup time to bedtime :bonk. But it's ok, atleast he will finish it by the time I count 5.

All our means of transport do have numbers.
    Thank God , we, ILites dont have any such Identity number :hide:
    Otherwise, it will be funny to address, '' Hello No. 3467 ....... ":biglaugh
    I too love the song " Un dros tres...." by Ricky Martin. :banana

5. ashwiniks79

Dear viji mam,
    Thanks for your fb. Rightly said, we aim to reach high level when we start with low salary. Atleast this keeps us motivated.

6. ashwiniks79

Wow...Kamal Sir, Count of pegs and ciggies...thats funny :)
    Thanks for the encouraging feeb back :thumbsup

7. ashwiniks79

Hello Susri( see names are always good naa?) Imagine this if all the IL had a roll numbers.... eeekk
    I am so happy that you like ricky martin's songs....I am his huge fan and so is my son :)

8. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi Ashwini,

Before i start with my fb, I would like to share with u & Meera (Susri) that I too love that song Un Dros Tres ...... . Not that I have passion for western music. Whatever good song, whatever be the language I chance to come across, I fall for it and this is one of them.

As for the nos., yeah I think we cannot do away with nos. from birth till death.

At Birth - time - the stars - the horoscope prepared with the time and birth star - again the latitude longitude of the birth place - in the horoscope - the position of the different planets, their effect on us everything revolves around nos. Then - the birth weight - the immunisation chart - at which month or nowadays even which day - the booster injections etc, have to be administered ..... etc. The multi vitamin drops - how many drops to be given ........... before I forget, the birth weight ........

Then Naming - nowadays many resort to names as per numerology.

Then as u said - pre K.G, KG when the kids start their journey with the nos. As they grow up they have to recognise the numbers on their hands - little fingers - count be it addition or subtraction. 5 take away 2 gives 3. My how lovely with the typical tune taught by the teacher, they come home and teach us sums no? Cant forget those lovely days.

Then it is only mathematical journey for them till they settle - of course from the hands to the mind and later on leaning on technology, the calculators. Through this journey, they have to be mindful of their numbers in their marks - the scores and the % to be blessed with admission to good professional colleges. There again the scores and ranking does not leave them. At office, they have to work with numbers to such an extent we keep proving we and the numbers are inseparable - we are like skin and flesh. As the years roll, get into the tax bracket - plan how much to save and how much to pay tax, invest, trade ...... all these cannot be without numbers. At middle age +, watch out ur medical records, keep the numbers within boundary. Nearing retirement, keep calculating ur returns or pensions. ........

If it is the case of females, home making involves - cooking, washing, baking, laundry etc. where too nos. cant be ignored. They tie the flowers - counting in twos or threes and string them, cooking - switch on the mixer and go 1.. 2.. 3 switch off - chutney is ready. Count the no. of whistles, ur rice is done or set the time and the cooking is over. Washing machines give u the option of chosing the time too and not to forget the MW - set the time for cooking / baking. Count the dots and draw the rangoli.......... After a busy day's work go to sleep not forgetting to set the alarm to begin the routine the next day - for office going females.

Oh! my fingers have started aching with this long post so I better put an end here.

All said and done, numbers naa rahe tho hum bee naa rahe. Here too, the more number of fbs u receive,the happier u r. Isn't it.

Jai Ho numbers kaa!!!!!!!!

9. ashwiniks79

oh wow soldier, I can just take your feedback and just attach to my post...its so lovely.

Thanks so much for such a nice feedback....and completely agree with what you have written specially with kids, counitng the multivitamin drops, doing math with their tender hands and cute things like that :)

And you know what i also love ek do theen madhuri song as well..... :wink:

10. Deaf woman

Deaf woman Senior IL'ite

Hi ashwini,
    A big hi to your cute son.If itsn't for him ,we wouldn't have got this post from you.Children are good at making us think more and more.The number thats ticking away in my mind is my age.Running towards half century in a year.Quite an entertaining post.