1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Unhappy Baby - Need help

Discussion in 'Infants' started by aishu22, Jul 1, 2010.

1. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dears,

Please suggest me some ideas to keep my LO happy.

My LO is 6 months old. She has never been a very happy baby right from new born phase.
    At first month, since she was December born- my paed suggested that she mite be feeling cold and new born needs constant warmth and assurance.
    So me and DH held her most of the time- comforting her.

Second month was a bit ok with her sleeping routines.

Right from 3rd month till now - she is not a happy baby at all.She does smile,laugh loud when i make funny faces and imitate me.Has rolled over and healthy etc.I introduced solids a week or 2 back and shes doing good.

Her only problem - She wont play on her own ( we give her toys, jumperoo,music)even if she is full,comfortable what so ever i do.Needs me 24/7. If I'm out of sight, she will cry and make a wail.

For the past week - I notice that her small cries have turned to be large screams and she doesn't get consoled if i don't pick her up, cuddle her else BF her. I'm ready to do these things, but it only goes a cycle.

I do all these things, make her smile, sing to her...shes ok.The moment i leave her down on mat... there she goes.

I'm really worried and stressed out too much.Crying baby makes me too much stressed.

Any remedies or ideas to keep her happy?

2. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Aishu,
    Hugs to you!! I know you must be very anxious about the LO!
    Most of us of at least few oof us have had cranky kids to handle!
    In the initial months I think you held her too much that she wants it to be done now too! Not practical at all considering that you have so many other things to do! Poklay with her coax he,all when she is on the bed or thooli don't lifet her too often!!
    Other few things that I can think of::

Music of any kind soothing and not too loud

Various coloured toys, books to bite, chew

Try talking to her not matter how far you are, i' sure she will be within you kannparvai! They respond amazingly to amma's voice!

How often do you feed her because as they grow their lil tummy does too
    and sometimes they might be really hungry, check on that if you have not!!!

Will come back with more when I can think of it!

3. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

hello aishu, tight hugs to u, i know how overwhelming all this could be !
    some babies are hi needs , and looks like ur LO is,.... my baby was like yours for her first 2-3 months. and everyone used to tell me , oh pls dont rock her to sleep... dont carry her all the time, dont do this dont do that. But from her 4th month she became a different person altogether.she loved to explore things in her vicinity, and now at 9 months ofcourse we cant keep pace with her super fast crawling.

aishu, all babies are different, and i dont care for advices which said "Do not carry ur baby"
    i used to tie my baby around me and do kitchen work!

sooner or later urs would do too, that is not to say that she is an unhappy baby. she just belongs to the gang of High needs little one.
    But now, u have to put certain things into practice. Your baby should be made to understand thats its not that bad after all to be on her own! i guess she must be sitting up, so sit nxt to her, while u do some kitchen chores... give her some dubbas or stuff to play with. occupying her need not be only infant toys. it could be anything, a dubba, a spoon, a plastic bowl, Anything!
    keep giving her new things to play with. At ur baby's age my LO loved playing with "Mommy made rattle" meaning a plastic transparent dubba, with dal or pulses in it, Lol. keep talking to her, when u put her down, make sure she knows mama is around. a little whimper or a small cry should not mean she needs to be lifted. :)

keep her occupied, but sit right next to her. gradually move away,but keep talkign to her.

maybe this link should tell u, u are not alone.hugs momma
    12 FEATURES OF A HIGH NEED BABY

4. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Thank you Janani. I do keep a check on her tummy. Will try out some more soothing music.She loves carnatic music and videos of some one singing that too.This evening i played like 5 songs and she was quiet.

Let me try some more.

5. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Pooh,

Thanks a ton. you have got exactly what Manu is. That link was all that Manu is.Needs constant attention, will not go to strangers,wants to keep touching me...hmmm... I now realise that DD is a high need baby.

Will try out all that you have suggested and that link was very very useful.

WIll try out and come back how she reacts to it.

6. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Aishu, hugs, how about baby-wearing then? Carrying her around you would help her and you in many ways :) That has helped me a lot, whenever my baby was clingy. He felt better this way :) THink about a babycarrier, sling, meitai :)Will write more, right now I gotta go :)

7. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Aishu - I agree with Poonam. I too think your baby may be a high needs baby. Babies' temperament are different - some are contented and happy, some are more demanding.

Have you tried a baby bouncy seat or high chair that you can put her in and keep her next to you while you do some things. Some other things you may be able to do holding baby. It takes twice the time...

It could be that once she is more mobile she will be interested in things around her. Hugs. Don't feel stressed (I know its easy to say that when you feel overwhelmed by all the tasks involved in running a house and baby does not leave you alone)

I think this too will pass...

8. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Pon - Thanks for the suggestion.WIll think about it.Carrying her and doing chores near the gas stove will be a risky task.I can think abt it for doing other chores...Will talk to DH and let me see what he says.

Sindhu - Thanks for the suggestion.I'm too planning for a baby bouncer.She already has a jumperoo.She likes it very much, but for playing in it too she needs me.:bonkI too hope this hi- needs is just a phase and not a practice.

9. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Pooh - I implemented you suggestion of blabbering to her constantly and kept her near my work place(kitchen, bedroom) wherever i went.She seemed to do ok a bit. I know i cant expect remarkable change over nite, but then atleast her screams were lesser. I spoke to DH about this hi- needs. He was a bit bewildered.I think he understood what i spoke. I asked to read that link you gave me.he didnt get time.We will discuss about keeping Manu enagaged over this weekend and have a action plan for her.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

10. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

aishu, things take time... keep it up, n u WILL see changes. :)