Unexplained infertility - Any other tests/options apart from IVF?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by brinda03, Sep 30, 2014.

1. brinda03

brinda03 Junior IL'ite

Hi,
    Doctors say i have unexplained infertility

- My periods are regular, no PCOS
    - Tubes are checked, i ovulate regularly
    - DH's parameters are fine

Still trying for almost 4 years without luck . 5 IUIs [Tablets & Injections ]
    Doc asks to go for IVF now. But i am very scared and not at all comfortable with the process . Is IVF linked to birth defects ? Is there higher chance of cancer for the mother due to the hormone injections ?

Desperately looking for something which can throw light on why it's not happening

Laproscopy isn't done.But doctor says that it's not required [probably i don't have any symptoms , never even had period pains]

i have chronic food and dust allergy and sneeze very often . i read something about Natural Killer cells which don't allow the embryo to implant . Docs in India don't give much weightage to that. ANY idea if any docs in Bangalore or Chennai do such tests?

Im 32 now. Can someone please tell me what are the other options i have apart from IVF? Something which people with unexplained infertility have had success in? . i'm feeling very depressed :(

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

2. sumi2

sumi2 Senior IL'ite

Hi Brinda,

My experience is very very similar to that of yours.:)

TTc for 4.5 years. Everything was fine: patent tubes, hormone levels,
    DH's count, regular periods since puberty.I too have chronic food and dust allergy.

There was no identified reason for my inability to conceive. 5 failed IUIs.
    Then my RE suggested to go for IVF, which again failed. After a break for around a year i consulted another RE in chennai. She identified that my problem was due to PCOS. But i had no symptoms of PCOS: no facial hair, no painful or irregular periods or any such thing.
    But the current scan showed few cysts in ovary. Even though my LH and FSH levels were well under the limits, the ratio between them was quite high (which is also an indicator of PCOS). I checked my prior reports which all showed a higher ratio but both LH and FSH were well within the limits. PCOs is a complex problem and cannot be diagnosed with symptoms alone.

Thus an experienced RE can only diagnose the problem regarding infertility correctly. You can always go for a second opinion before taking the next course.
    Unfortunately doctors normally suggest Immunity, Genetic and Chromosomal issue tests after an IVF failure.

IVF has been practiced for many years and the rate of birth defect is same as normal conception. Also, the drugs given are synthetic versions of natural hormones and are not carcinogenic.

You can try alternate medicines like Ayurveda, Siddha, Homeopathy, Acupuncture and each of them have their respective success stories on the web.

3. jaden

jaden Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I have gone thru the same ,infact i have had 2 ivfs neg along with 5 iui's.I do have pcos but then i have periods like clockwork and do ovulate every month on my own.Well my hubbys counts seemed good,infact the counts were pretty high and average on motility.However my current Re took a DNA fragmentation of the sperm and said it was abnormally high.This could be the reason why we havent concieved till date.
    DNA fragmentation is really a new concept and could be the answer to many cases of unexplained infertility.I would suggest you to research the same.The high dna frag can cause growth restriction of embryos or failure to implant.

1 person likes this.
  4. brinda03

brinda03 Junior IL'ite

Sumi thanks a lot !! Hugs. Made me feel much better atleast with the apprehensions i had about IVF. I as such dont have any cysts now. Will explore more wrt the PCOS without symptoms too

Jaden, thanks for the reply. Yes we have already done DNA frag test and the values came fine,

5. sujanags

sujanags Gold IL'ite

Brinda,
    Sometimes there may be antibodies which prevent a woman in conceiving as they treat sperm as a bad thing. Have you covered all detailed tests like antibodies tests, LAC lupus anti-coagulant tests?
    When you say DNA test, do you mean kayotyping?

6. boons

boons Bronze IL'ite

Hi Brindha,

I too am undergoing same kind of investigations etc.

Here my oriblems are too much.

I had pcos and am over weight and i also have alergic seasonal wheezing.
    after marriage, got miscarriage after 55 days and kept on treatment for pco and in 2010 my doc found out i had bilateral cornual block.
    dropped my treatment. the resumed in 2012 and did various investigations and found out that both of us had UTI and was continuously not subsiding for an year.

then they did histroscopy and found out i had subseptate uterus and which was causing miscarriage wherein i had 3 within the 10 years of marriage. i never did iui and yet to try ivf. i ovulate regularly without medication cause i take cinnamon powder in honey which regulates my periods.

PL CHECK FOR
    SEPTATE UTERUS( WHCIH PREVENTS EMBRYO TO IMPLANT)
    MANY DOCS DONT EVEN SUSPECT THIS. I WENT TO DR. JAYAM KANNAN AND SHE FOUND OUT.
    SHE SUSPECTED IT BY SEEING MY HSG REPORT ITSELF BUT MY PERVIOUS GYNEC COULDNT AND SHE DID NT EVEN SUGGEST ANYTHING FOR MY TUBAL BLOCK.

ALL D BEST.

7. Khwabm

Khwabm Senior IL'ite

Hi everyone ,

I know this is an old thread, but i
    Just wanted to clear my queries if anybody could respond?

I have
    LOW AMH and
    ANTINUCLEAR ANTIBODIES POSITIVE.
    DUSTURBED NK CELLS( few up, few down)
    although tnf alpha is normal.

So its like IMMUNE INFERTILITY

Tried blood thinners didn't work out and also
    i am in no mood to go for steroids.

I am scared of such heavy medication.
    Searching for some simpler Ayurvedic/ herbal treatment.

I am trying to gather more info on this
    from a patient's perspective .

I am in touch with dr uppal ( suntex clinic)just waiting for his response before i could take any decisions.

Kindly guide... should i get my other immunological infertility related tests done or should i wait for atleast these ones to get corrected.??

Thanks

8. Khwabm

Khwabm Senior IL'ite

Hello everyone,
    Any replies?

9. rajnik28

rajnik28 Senior IL'ite

Hi khwabm

I am rajni, apart from low amh and uterine prolapse
    I had
    ANTI SPERM ANTIBODIES .
    my immune system was working against the sperms who were entering my body.

This IMMUNE INFERTILITY was a big hurdle in my conception , i was taking treatment from
    dr uppal regarding the amh , poor ovarian reserve mainly along uterine prolapse .

Did check my asa levels a few times
    Everytime the values were getting nearer to normalcy.
    So i was a bit concerned about managing so many issues altogether .
    But my concerns were temporary because I concieved the very next month after seeing my anti sperm antibodies within normal limits.

Sounds miraculous,
    and i felt the same when I experienced it.

Talking about tests i think you should get them done all together,
    this ll help you in proper diagnosis and treatment.
    All the best

10. happydheivanai

happydheivanai Silver IL'ite

U can visit dr jamuna (Siddha dr)in chennai she has very good knowledge....she is against I'vf Iui etc