Unemployment benefit advice

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by rithi, Jan 22, 2010.

1. rithi

rithi New IL'ite

My friend is a permanent resident in US and I'm copying his exact words from e.mail

"Me and my wife were working in AZ, we have 3 small children. My wife's job in AZ was not going well. She took another offer in CA. I had to follow her for the family/children hoping to find a job in CA. However, as of now it is not happening. Can I apply for unemployment benefit. Can I mention the 'reason for unemployment' as QUIT to join spouse who had employment in another state? Please advice"

Your reply to help my friend is highly appreciated

Thank you

2. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Rithi,

In order to receive unemployment compensation, we should just cause for quitting a job. Quitting for joining spouse is not considered a just cause for getting unemployment benefits. One has to establish a just reason for quitting like for eg : unsafe working environment, or you have a disability or that you have been fired or laid off. All these are just reason but leaving on your own will to relocate is not a just reason and the benefits can be denied.

Thanks
    Jaya

3. rithi

rithi New IL'ite

I agree, but in his case living apart for employment may also not be possible with small children

4. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

I agree and its sad really but it is still termed as a "personal reason" for quitting. I have heard that only some states...don't know which ones... may entertain the "relocating for family reason" for granting unemployment benefits. I am not 100% sure about that.

I still feel that all these are geared toward employer-friendly and very rarely one can fight for benefits for this type of reason.

Maybe it doesn't hurt to apply and see what the outcome is but have no expectations though. Sorry!

Jaya

5. desiprincess

desiprincess Senior IL'ite

no, that is not a good enough reason for Unemployment benefits...as gjaya mentioned there has a very good cause for quitting your job or else mostly people who were laid off or were fired get Unemployment....