1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Underarm hairs for 14yrs old!!

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Lalitha Shivaguru, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

My DD is 14 yrs old and has lot of under arm hair and she feels very odd to wear sleeveless dresses...I do not want her to do waxing this early...any other method of defuzzing for young teens?

At what age she can start waxing on her legs/hands & underarms? Can you help me ladies?

2. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Waxing isn't harmful but it is always better to try after few more years.

Best alternative is to use creams like Annefrench or Fem. Now-a-days they come in lot many varieties so we need not worry about the odor.

Some go for shaving(razor especially for women)..but it induces the growth swiftly..

3. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

I think shaving is better. With the creams you really don't have any idea of all the side effects with the chemicals and also some skin can be sensitive and will result in a rash. I have both my daughters shave their underarm (ages 13 and 10).

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear LS,
    creams make the skin dark, so I would suggest that you don't try that for her. I would suggest waxing, if she could bear the pain. Have a talk with the beautician or a dermatologist.

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

You can also get electric shavers for women including ones that can be used in the shower. That might be an option albeit a more expensive one.

6. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

I have been using Annefrench(sandal/rose) for the past 14 years. My skin hasnt turned dark. The only problem is the growth is quick compared to waxing.

Same persists while shaving. Also if we shave the skin becomes rough.

7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Lalitha

Even i have used creams wen i was 14yrs old...no side effects till now...

inside the hair removal cream cover,an instruction sheet is provided in which they recommend the users to take up a skin test to test whether the cream suits tat skin ..u can do tat

According to me,u can ask ur daughter to try waxing creams and in case they can bear,ask them to try waxing...

shaving will cause hair to grow fast and thick...better to avoid,....

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  8. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

lalith ma'm,
    Though shaving is better, but prefer a cream to shaver because, skin becomes smooth after using a cream. I have been using Anne french, but recently shifted to Veet. Veet is really good and less fast growth compared to Anne.

9. sweety17

sweety17 Gold IL'ite

Shaving will make the skin dark........ and creams are also not preferable since she young.......

starting hair removing at such a young age is disastrous.....hair grows like wild weed...sharp and thick.......it wud be best to start after 16-18 yrs...from personal exp.......

best is to avoid sleeveless dresses for now.....but if left with no other choice then i wud say waxing....they hav to bear the pain......no other go...:rant

10. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

I and my younger sis started waxing for age of 12........ it used to hurt couple of times but later we got used to it. so dnt worry its completely safe.

Wax benefits are that hair will growth will be delayed, you will have less ingrown hair and no dead skin.

This is the time young teen love to dress in various fashion, it would be rude to let her not to wear something that she likes just coz of underarm hair .. which is a very small issue. Just let her enjoy !