Uncomfortable

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by shravs3, Apr 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Hi @shravs3 it's only been a day with them. So feeling a little uncomfortable is totally justifiable. Whether they are sharing a room or not , with new flatmates it's common to feel what you are feeling.
    No. . You did a good thing by initiating a friendship with them.
    Some good suggestions are already suggested above.
    One what I want to add is in the coming days there are two cases
    1) You will get used to it and it won't be uncomfortable for you.
    2) If you are still uncomfortable you can shift to an other room. Observe for a few days . A week or so and see how it goes. :)

shravs3 likes this.
  2. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Though it's your opinion and I didn't want to comment on that I couldn't stop myself from asking you
    "what is free entertainment here ?":neutral:

shravs3 and Sunshine04 like this.
  3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Some ones uncomfortable situation is free entertainment for another:roflmao:

shravs3 and Anusha2917 like this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for responding @Anusha2917
    This is the first time I am sharing house with someone else so it’s taking time to adjust. Hopefully I will get over it

Anusha2917 likes this.
  5. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Hi @shravs3 I may understand what you are going through. I lived with many different roommates for many years through university and work - and may see what you are going through. This used to happen often - even though we begin with no expectations from roommates - we would like a "casual friend" - just when we rush from room to kitchen to bathroom or making a late night tea - we'd like some minimal smalltalk. Not too much to become intrusive about our lives - but just enough to have a pleasant time. Conversation like - how was work today, I remember the light up late last night in your room? Or hey yoghurt is getting over, I can get a extra tub on my way back for you also?

But what happened again and again was this - when one roommate gets a bf - they would emotionally check-out from the other and this would make the other one feel left out. They don't want to stand and have tea together for even a couple of minutes and would rather spend time in their own rooms. This would strain the roommate arrangement. Sharing of chores would become tricky - because this person is now head-on-heals invested in their new relationship and bound to forget something. The other roommate does extra clean up for some spilled sugar or take the trash out more often - causing things to go downhill. So then after some tough finger-pointing, both roommates stay within their rooms, try to avoid sharing the common spaces at the same time.

Just want to share - living together with another "couple" is even harder. If you're prepared to just give them their space - let them be. They may be forced to "hide" their relationship from their friends/family/colleagues already - and hence may have hidden from you too (it wasn't right of them to do that - they could've shared it with you in confidence).

Have no solution for you - just wanted to share some of my "uncomfortable" stories with you. Hope you can strike a good balance and make it work or find a convenient alternative.

6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

@startinganew thanks for sharing your experience.
    Tats what is happening with me I am feeling left out. I am waiting to go home badly!
    I was under assumption that roommates can be friends too since we are sharing the same roof. But looks like I’m wrong :worried:

Sunshine04 likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:OMG! IT IS CATCH 22. exercise caution and care my dear daughter. I can't rather I don't qualify to make statements to comfort you as these are i consider unchartered areas for me.
    God shall protect and preserve all His Daughters in all geographies.

shravs3 and Amulet like this.
  8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Charter the areas. It is never too late. Do you have a room to rent ?
    Hahaha... "Daughters in Geographies" could be a good name for a band.

Daughters are safer in geographies where some other daughters are tiring the bejeezus out of hot-blooded males who might otherwise be looking to harass girls in buses, and street corners, and street-lampless dark streets.

All eeess vell, when some daughters are romancing the wayward sons, and other daughters are sighing through the work-week, waiting for the weekend canoodle [Question from auntiji: how many minutes should one boil a canoodle to make it al dente ?]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  9. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

:p:roflmao:

Amulet and SinghManisha like this.
  10. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Sir thanks for replying.
    But they seem to be very helpful towards me. Both seem to be good and accommodating. My tension is slowly reducing.

Amulet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.