1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Unable to handle anymore

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by sudha13, Jun 26, 2013.

1. sudha13

sudha13 New IL'ite

Hello everyone, i had a divorce last year in march&was foolish enough not to settle
    any financial disputes from my exhusband. he was a big cheat&had several issues
    with diff banks. i live in diff country now &am studying hard&supporting myself alone
    with no support at al. last month i had calls frm a bank harrasing me&my dad to pay
    &close a credit card which was on my name. due to unawareness of any details of tat
    card &also calls from a higher authority of police telling tat my issue wil be notified to immigration&tat i wil b sent to jail&can never hav a normal life i paid tat amount and closed tat card. now thus whole drama was for a sum of 80000 rupees. my parents r illiterate&do nit hav any idea of managjng this ussue&could nt support me at all. Also since am far in a diff place i dont know wat to do immly&paid tat amount to resolve the issue quivkly.

Now when tat police official was talking to me&told me tat they hav several other cases on me of which was a horrendous shock for me. but he would nt tel me anything in detail. i am living in a diff place with noone&no financial support what so ever. I am so stresed about this&unable to eat or sleep or do anythung. i hav suffered so muchh with my ex&niw agajn all these troubles r haunting me. i want to see a lawyer who can help&guide me exactly wat to do now. I never took a loan or anything frm anyone bt don know wat those cases r about. how can i know wat cases r on me. i lived in chennai before. do i have to approach someone jn chennai

any imput from all of is so much appreciated. i don hav anyone to guide me in india. i am like an irphan not knowing wat to di. sometimes i wakeup in dreams like am in jail. u all would know wat that hirrible feeling would b like. i am in a position now if i don get an advice tat i myt giveup my life too. am unable to handle this stress. pls help me. and am sorry for such a long notes.. sudha

2. bossomfall

bossomfall Bronze IL'ite

First of all file a harassment case against your ex, it will work as a shield, you need to do that immediately, write in a piece of paper of your suffering & harassment & lodged an FIR[First Information Report]....... If you are not an Indian......... go to your foreign office, schedule a meeting.... Let them know everything... They will help you out to a extent.

Regarding all these calls from police & all.......... are gimmick....... if you need serious intervention from lawyer side........ let me know..........hope you will get a Lawyer...... find out women rights cell or human right cell in Chennai....... go there............Lodge a complain...............Don't worry, nothing happens in India unless there is a solid substantiated evidence... it means the evidence needs to be also proved......... so its all a long case..........your ex is doing all this ****........... don't worry...........the more you worry..........you will get panicked..................regarding jail in India...........its very hard for Indian government to put you in jail for any Immigrant........They have always failed..........except in the case of Narcotics, Drug peddling.........

First & foremost go to women cell of human rights, talk to them,they will let you know everything........ Don't worry......... It will be over.

Regarding Bank Harassment........... Let them.......Just you need to lodge a FIR....Its simple, go to women cell of Chennai police & lodge it with there ............ & .................if they are not taking FIR...............Go to Foreign Office or Embassy.............Tell them............They will pressurize.....the Chennai police.

Never use the word ....."Parents are Illiterate"...............It will work against you in every Legal case

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  3. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

Sudha,
    First of all, you havent done anything by borrowing money or etc then why are you afraid of?? Go move out and proceed legally. Fight for justice instead of getting bugged up being all alone. Just go. Not eating not sleeping is not the solution. Solution is doing what needs to be done that must be done. Not sitting and cribbing like this. Stand up for yourself.

4. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

It appears that in your hurry to leave the country you failed to tie loose ends.
    Contact your divorce lawyer and ask for his/her advice.
    Is someone using your credit cards in your absence, if they are stolen then you have to lodge a report with company so that they can block your card.
    Did you sign for loans and mortgages along with your hubby, how did the banks get your present address?

5. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

The guy has already messed up your life & still he continues even after having divorced is totally atrocious.

This guy has to be punished. Contact a lawyer or the Indian embassy and register your complaint. Have a copy of the complaint with their acknowledgement.

Ask your parents to give an ad in the Chennai papers both in English & Tamil stating that you have divorced him since date..... and you are in no way responsible for his actions any more.

Also contact your bank and cancel all joint accounts & cards.

Don't be frightened - you will have to teach a lesson to the evil.

1 person likes this.
  6. RadiantFlower

RadiantFlower Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sudha,

Your sad story illustrates the truth of how it's so very important for a woman to protect herself by separating her finances (separating your liability from your husband’s debt) before the divorce is final.

This means closing of any joint credit cards and removing the husband's name as an authorised user from any card in your name.
    A good divorce lawyer would have informed you about the pressing need for this - I am sorry that your lawyer proved to be so incompetent.

Depending on where you live and where your divorce took place (country), debt that’s incurred during a marriage is considered the joint responsibility of both parties, provided both parties are co-signers on the account (mortgage, credit card, etc.).
    Bluntly put, if your name is on a loan - as a borrower or co-signer - you’re responsible for the debt.

The best bit of advice I got years ago was when a friend told me that it's not what happens to you that is the most important - it's how you deal with it.

My advice is to get in touch with a good lawyer ASAP, who'll advise you on what steps to take to minimize damage.
    You can start by gathering as much info as possible about any credit card bills, mortgage/home equity/auto loan accounts etc or any other joint credit you might have shared with your ex-husband.

Just take baby steps, one day at a time - you will get your life back on track.
    Good luck!

7. sudha13

sudha13 New IL'ite

Hi thank U all so much for ur patience and kindness. I was glad when I saw some response from U all. I am an Indian living as an international student in a different country. Since I am not in Chennai I am unable to meet any lawyer in person to clarify.
    Can I lodge a complaint on him when I am in a different country???

8. sudha13

sudha13 New IL'ite

And by the way your words made me to relax and think a bit more about wat to do next.. thanks so much for ur lovely support

9. sudha13

sudha13 New IL'ite

To flowerlady, as far I am aware I may have signed some cheques and had a joint account of which he was the primary account holder. Will I be liable if he does anything with that account?? As a wife I agreed to have joint account but along as in our wives slave tradition did I ever had an opportunity to ask what is going on!! No...If we ask that's it we R the criminals....

10. sudha13

sudha13 New IL'ite

Also plss can someone suggest me a good lawyer in Chennai. I was searching online and found Indus lawyer associates. Don't knew whether they are good or not. Does anybody have an idea??? Pls let me know