Umanga's Favourite Things

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by Umanga, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

The link is accessible from an American server but not from my IP address in India.

I have often seen this happen.

2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

May be.

Anyhoo, thanks for the Tishani Doshi reference. Her retelling of Mabinogion stories interests me.

3. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Don't thank me.

I have no respect for her work, just that beautiful house and the life she and her husband lead.

4. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

@Umanga I would love to read those books that you have listed? Online pdf's available?

5. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

I am glad somebody has expressed interest in these books. I felt like a lone voice crying out in the wilderness.

Yes, I have actually given links to the free e-books (where available) in the titles of the books.

Where not available, I link to the Amazon page.

Archanaanchan likes this.
  6. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

I tried to click n the link this
    This is what i see when i click the link!
    upload_2017-7-8_17-20-21.png

7. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

The bottom row says "Mirrors".

Click on any one of the options given there such as "Libgen". That shall take you to the download page.

8. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Buying rekha style kanjeevarams would cost a Amitabh sized arm and leg ! My only peeve is why is it all gold , why not other colors ? Add to it all gold jewellery and the whitewashed face, it looks pretty boring .

a

Naari likes this.
  9. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Another voice in the wilderness ;)@Archanaanchan
    Enjoy reading! But don't stop cooking those awesome dishes !
    @Umanga I can only read short stories , short attention span ! Only Roald Dahl can capture my attention, a bit

10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Interesting! I had never heard of Tishani Doshi till I read your post. Yes, that's a commodious house.

When I searched for Tishani Doshi, her poems were listed first, then the interiors of her home, then a book called Fountainville: New Stories from the Mabinogion. The later work interested me. I like these modern retelling and re-adaptations of ancient folklore and mythologies. To adapt this into this is a monumental and plucky task. I have a thing for such enterprising authors and publishers. Moreover, the revival of Celtic themes in popular culture is not recent or confined to books. It has been for a while now and permeated across media. I am a fan of Tomm Moore's movies. I like his The Secret of Kells and The Song of the Sea. Those movies are brilliant for sheer artistic rendition even though the plot is tenuous. And the Celtic woman belting Amazing Grace hymn in one couture and then trilling to A Spaceman Came Travelling ditty in the next. Oh! That poppy Tír na nÓg is Tír na nÓg. This is all Irish & Celtic! So, that repackaged Welsh [Celtic] Mabinogion stories sparked my interest. I haven't read Tishani Doshi to respect or dismiss her work yet. I admire such creativity to blend the old with the new.

Here's something for you in exchange for the music videos. Creepy and Catchy!

(Note: You may find playing chess with the Devil being reproduced in another sequence also amusing. I like such connects.)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017