1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ultracrepidarianism

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Thanks Sir. It is a little bit extra from every language that heard from office staff who are easily multilingual.
    One thing I noticed is a Tamilian or Malayalee employed in urban Mumbai or Maharashtra easily picks up local languages wherever he is employed.

Also being a cosmopolitan city, then Mumbai could employ many outsiders from other states like Bihar, Andhra, gujrath, parsis, Muslims, Jains, Hindus and so on and so forth. Smattering yet enough of working knowledge in many languages was a norm with colleagues during my tenure there.

Thanks and Regards.

2. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shri Viswa,
    Unfortunately we find more such people in religious field. Only a few like Buddha could say 'find for yourself' .
    In general some people are in the habit of expressing their opinion on any subject under the sky. Watching the TV debates proves that. I find the very spokespersons lecturing on number of subjects.Google Baba has made it more easy. You can see them looking at their phone screens. Sometimes they say what they cannot figure out themselves. All for two minutes fame.
    Then there are people 'know all' everywhere and get offended if challenged.
    The best are paid advisors. They have the right to say 'I do not know'. One lawyer, when pressed did give an advice to a fellow and followed that with a bill also.

Viswamitra likes this.
  3. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

I can understand. I also had the chance of working in many states and in the process could pick up some words here and there.
    My humorous experience was in Madras 0f 1963. I and a fellow Bengali passenger reached Madras Central by train from Delhi. We asked a Coolie to take us to taxi stand and asked the charges in Hindi. He said something and we said do rupiye. We knew he may not understand Hindi so said two rupees. He picked up and at the taxi stand when we paid him two rupees he said paanch rupiye do jo bola tha. We paid. During my long stay I picked many Tamil words of daily use.

Viswamitra likes this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Some people are very good in giving advice.Some dont give the others a chance to talk. In Mumbai if you are new some people show wrong.direction.

HariLakhera likes this.