1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Ultra pride wet grinder from India or USA?????

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by prathibhahp, Jul 26, 2011.

1. prathibhahp

prathibhahp Silver IL'ite

Hi fellow ladies,

I am in a dilemma whether to get the ultra pride wet grinder from India or USA. I live in California. The price for 110v model is $249 + taxes in our Indian store. I asked my mom to find out the price in Bangalore. The 220v model costs around 5500 Rs and 110v costs around 9500Rs.

I am wondering if anybody here has bad experiences with the 220v model (with the voltage converter).. I want to get the 220v model from india and buy the voltage converter here. But in one corner of my mind, i always think, what if it doesn't work and spoil the grinder motor.

Suggestions please.

2. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

hi
    i got the 110v ultra pride from Chennai,India fro Indra Metals in Mylapore. You might also get them in T.Nagar,Chennai area. I got it in 2007 for Rs.7500.

It is not advisable to risk with 220v, if there is any repair, you have to ship it by yourself to service center, you know how painful things are here to get it repaired, people buy new ones instead.

I am using since 2007, 110 v and have no issues.
    So recommend 110v only.

3. prathibhahp

Thanks Vidukarth..

Your view point made me to lean a little towards buying 110V itself. Has there been any cases where the 110V model bought in india doesn't work well here in USA? Because, there is no way we can try and test 110V model at home in India.

4. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

hi, i am not sure on how you can do that, but i got premier mixie - 110 v from Rathna stores and Ultra Pride in Mylapore, and also 110 V Coffee Maker all from India without testing them, brought them here and they worked right away without issues, one thing you can check there, make sure it is a flat pin socket and not round pin... that was the basic check that we did.

5. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Pratibha,

The stores in Hyd do the 110v conversion for people taking the mixers/wetgrinders to US. There might be similar stores in Banaglore as well. Most of my cousins did the same and only one had problem till now. One wetgrinder motor burnt out during the first usage itself. Maybe, the conversion wasnt done well.

If your mom knows of reliable stores, then you can opt for it. Personally, i would suggest you to buy from there as you would have a valid warranty and you can get it repaired/replaced if there is any problem.

6. prathibhahp

Thanks Orion80.

That's my worry too. What if the motor burns out..

7. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

I got my mixie (preethi 3 jar) from Hyd, India from a store which converted 220 to 110v and it is working perfectly well till now (got in 2008)...but i got the wet grinder in US itself bcos 1) it is heavy and 2) can deal with local dealer if any problems, as i dont have many known people travelling in and out of US, so i opted to buy it locally.

After buying the wet grinder, within 2 months i had prob with the lid not locking properly and the local dealer (in US) immediately replaced (or repaired i dont remember properly :bonk) it.

8. prathibhahp

So your vote is for buying it in US. :)

9. LavanyaR

LavanyaR New IL'ite

Hi pman16,
    I would like to know 1) from which dealer in the US you bought the grinder
    2) Which brand of wet grinder you bought and your suggestions about the grinder?
    Your suggestions are appreciated, as I am looking to buy wet grinders in USA and not sure where to buy.

thanks.

10. Ushajax

Ushajax New IL'ite

Hi, my name is Usha & I am relocating to US on 27th July n my husband s been living there in Jacksonville FL for a while now. Want to know if it makes sense to buy a wet grinder in US or is it worth carrying it from India? If so can I buy it online or should I buy it from Indian stores? Pls share your thoughts. Thanks usha