Ugadi Memories

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by shravs3, Mar 25, 2020.

1. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Ugadi is the beginning of the new year according to Hindu Lunar calendar.
    This festival brings back so many memories.
    Yes, I think I’m missing my parents.

The day starts with oil bath.
    Next task would be to help my dad in tying mango and neem leaves at the main entrance and other entrances.
    After which I used to carefully separate neem flowers from the neem leaves bunch.

And then I used to collect everyone’s new clothes and keep near puja room.
    I used to simultaneously help dad with puja and mom in kitchen.
    Even though all these tasks were simple I used to take so much of responsibility :grinning:

Then comes helping mom in making Obbattu. My duty is to prepare balls from Purnam( Toordal and jaggery mixture)

I used to always plead my mom to give me Purnam so that I could taste. I can happily eat plenty of it even now :hearteyes:
    But I was allowed to eat only after Naivedyam.

Seeing the process I used to always wonder will I ever be able to make such complex sweet in my life!!

Once obbattus were ready, it was time for Naivedyam and Aarti.

After that my dad would distribute Ugadi pacchadi aka Bevu Bella( Mixture of Neem flowers, Raw mangoes and Jaggery)

I used to get annoyed when I taste neem flowers. So my mom and dad would tell just like this mixture we must face all the things like happiness, sorrow and surprise equally for the year.

Finally it’s time to relish the festive meal! It would comprise mainly of Mango Chitranna/ Mango rice( My mouth is watering), Kosambari, Beans palya, Obbattu, Mango chutney, Obbattu rasam and so on....

Again after some rest, my mom would again continue preparing Obbattus and Spicy Obbattus.
    I cant forget the taste of hot hot obbattus with ghee and milk.

In between all these things TV would be running with special programs and movies.

After some nap, it was time to get ready I used to happily get dressed up and flaunt my new dress.
    Then we would visit 2 temples mostly.
    After coming home it was time to visit my grandparents on that evening.

My granny would be ready with Obbattu. She used to forcefully stuff me with everything including the spicier version of Obbattu and lipsmacking Mango chutney. Then take their blessings and then back to home with heavy stomach.

As my stomach is already heavy, the dinner would be light. Mostly some mango rice and rice with Obbattu rasam. And coming to this rasam, my mom prepares extra rasam which would last 2 more days. This rasam tastes 100 times better the next day!

Although I prepare obbattus now, the feeling which I get when I remember my moms version cannot be explained :relaxed:

I’m feeling very home sick today :disappointed:

No matter how nicely we celebrate here, nothing beats the way it’s celebrated in India with parents and other family members.

I was so excited for this India trip.But this Corona broke my heart :imp:
    Not sure when will I be able to visit India. The thought itself is making me more stressful.

Corona... Tum please Jaana :sob:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    GoneGirl, Vaikuntha, Gauri03 and 14 others like this.

2. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shrav, Happy Ugadi!:)
    Yesterday, We celebrated Ugadi according to temple calendar. I try to do all festivals how my mom do in India but I have always feeling of missing something in my heart. As you said, It can't be how I celebrated all festivals with parents and siblings in India.
    I knew about your India trip plans through your threads and I understood your disappointment. Hope for you will visit India soon. Forget about all worries and enjoy this moment.

Thyagarajan and shravs3 like this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Nice thread starter post ! Obbattu/Poli is not a diet food by a long shot :disrelieved:!

Rasam with ghee-fried neem-flower in the Tadka is the specialty of the New Year season. It is not easy to get dried Neem flowers in USA desi grocery stores.

Thyagarajan and shravs3 like this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @shravs3 ,

What a lovely write up and if I may say so, such a typical kannadiga way of celebrating, not to forget .

While making obbattus yesterday this is precisely what I did for the first time
    Made some in the morning and found myself making more after some rest thinking "I am becoming my mom!"

I usually do better but this is what I did for this Ugadi -

MVIMG_20200324_084850.jpg

Happy Ugadi to you and your loved ones. Enjoy!

If I may say so, after living away from home for many many years now,
    while I understand we miss home, it is never too late or too early to bring the spirit of celebration to where we live! I am as traditional as you get - I start with a rangoli in front of the house, tie the thorana, make kids take a head bath....make them sit in prayers, mango pachadi, obbattu....go all the nine yards because home is after all where the heart is and the same heart can make a home of wherever we are!

Have a fantastic festival!

PS: While DS and DH love obbattus, my DD loves payasa....so today payasa it is...celebrating more!

Thyagarajan, iyerviji, kkrish and 2 others like this.
  5. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Happy Ugadi !!
    @shravs3 , hang in there . Soon this will be over and you will get to visit. And you mom would make obbattus for you .Share pics ok ?

Thyagarajan, shravs3 and Amulet like this.
  6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Happy Ugadi @Mistt :blush:
    Yes even I get the sense of something missing during the festivities. Especially the crowd where they sell neem and mango leaves.

Thyagarajan and Mistt like this.
  7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Yes it’s definitely not a diet food. But hey festivals are there for us to enjoy some good food for a reason.

I never made Ugadi pacchadi here in US due to the lack of main ingredients.

Thyagarajan and Amulet like this.
  8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Happy Ugadi @Srama

Thanks. I was a bit emotional yesterday :disappointed:
    Oh it’s been a while since I heard that song. Thanks for sharing...

Your rangoli looks so beautiful. Hats off to you for continuing the same festive spirit here too. I feel over a period of time we inherit many qualities from our parents :grinning:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Happy Ugadi @SunPa

Im very eagerly waiting for that day :relaxed:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Happy Ugadi Shravs ! Yes, the only good thing this year was that it was a quiet Ugadi. There is no bevu where I live - only the flowers (not that I needed bevu, there is enough bitterness :) and enough sweet), so I made carefully the Ugadi pachadi this year (every consecutive year I forget *not* to add green chillies), this year I added only red chilli in the seasoning, so it came out fairly decent (not too much spiciness). I like to go to temple, but it was shutdown due to Corona. The consolation is that God should be in our mind, that's more important.

Thyagarajan, kkrish and shravs3 like this.