1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Two hearts met, fell in love and with elders blessings got married

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Dec 14, 2013.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Every day is special if you THINK.
    Every moment is memorable if you FEEL.
    Every one is unique if you SEE.
    Life is beautiful if you LIVE..and
    grab all the opportunities we get

Whether young or old if we have the opportunity to enjoy we should not miss it. Opportunities seldom come and we should not miss it .So I always dont like to miss any opportunities . I feel more than teenage times at this age I amgetting the opportunity to attend many functions as we are retired and only we two are there. Whenever I have to go for any function in advance only I get ready for the function and decidewhat saree to wear etc, you might find this silly but I am like that because I always want to be the best.

Few weeks back my dh's niece's daughters parents in law came home to invite us for their second son's marriage- Their son is going to get married to a Gujrathi. Niece's daughter's mil told me you both come on 12th morning itself as we are having mehndi inthe morning at home and Sangeet in the evening in the Hall. Next day is marriage following both the customs. Morning Malali maathal and Oonjal and at 12.15 is the muhurtham which is Arya Samaj Marriage. She told us to come on thursday morning itself to their house.

I was all set for the marriage. Early morning asusual there was a call for my husband na dhe had to go out. I told him come back between 10.30 and 11 a.m. as mehndi is there.In the meantime I got a call from dh's niece's daughter that they have already started applying mehndi. I told her we will come as soon as my dh arrives. My dh came and left for the function . We could not get bus soon so we had to go by auto.
    In the beginning there were less women to put mehndi , later many women came . We had yummy lunch. Then we all started getting ready after having tea. Niece'sdaughter's MIL is a very sweet person and has many friends, though I am not so much close relative of hers but still it was her good heart that she gave so muchimportance to us and asked us to come to her houseone day before only to enjoy the functions and she wanted me to come as I enjoy Sangeet.When two people become friends and come closer their two hearts become one and they become very close.We also became very close. At 4.30 p.m. or so we all got ready and went down and there was band baaja arranged by the bridegroom's friends which was a surprise to everyone. Everyone danced to their hearts content to the tune of the band . Women played garba and kummi, I was also asked to take part and weenjoyed. Then some of us went by bus and all 70 plus men went by car. We played antakshari the bus. Due to traffic jam though we all reachedin time the bridegroom's car was stuck in the middle of the traffic and came late.

Since it was marriage between a South Indian and Gujrathi there were two young girls compering the Sangeet. The South Indian girl welcomed everyone for the Sangeet and told that the tamilians should se besh besh after the dance and the Gujratis in their language shoudl appreciate. So they started the programme of their love story in the form of music and dance with apt music from the time they fell in love till their fixation of marriage. Even young boys and girls danced and the programme was very good. In between they served different kind of juices and then starterswhich we all enjoyed.The bridegroom and bride were in seventh heaven enjoying the dances and they also danced. They were a lovely pair and though the bride groom and his brother looked different ,their wives looked like sisters. Therewas also garba and most of the ladies, gents and children were on the floor enjoying the garba. Then it was time for dinner and we all enjoyed the dinner where there was different yummy items.Only the Kulfi was very hard and I ate it like a choclate with my hand as with spoon it was difficult to break it so hard it was.-

Though we were enjoying here dh'sniece, her sister, bhabhi , her son, brother's son and his uncle they all came late from Pune as some problem with the vehicle in whcih they came and they landed at the hall only at 10-.00 pm or so when everyone had finished their dinner. They felt very sad that theycould not enjoy the Sangeet. Anyway due to modern technology they can see it in Video and we her mama andmami enjoyed the function . Her sammandi and others went home as it was already late and the driver was asking them to come soon. Since the vehicle in which niece and others came was there , her daughter told me and my dh to come with them. They had arranged a nice flat with facilities for us to stay. Next day we got up at 4 a.m. and at 6.30 a.m we left for Siddhi Vinayak temple. We had good darshan atthe temple and had time to be at the temple and take Lord's darshan to the fullest. We reached the hall by 8 a.m. and we were the first to be there. We had to pass our time till the function started and we took photos.

Then the bridegroom's parents and others arrived.We had yummy breakfast . Morning there was South Indian culture first that is malai mathal . They lifted the bridegroom but the bride did not want to be lifted . After everyone's request she agreed and they both garlanded each other. Then there was Oonjal and ladies sang Malai Mathinal Kodahi Malai mathinal , malai mathinal Renu malai mathinal. The usual ritual of giving palumpazam etc was there. There was a foreigner who was the bridegroom
    s colleague. She alsohad come for Sangeeet she wore a dress and for the wedding she also wore a saree given by the bridegroom's mother . They got the blouse also stitched for her and she was enjoying the function the most and I also took photo with her . I told her happy to see you enjoying the function and following our culture. The bridefirst day had worn Gagra choli and for marriage wore Pure silk saree and was looking like a South Indian only .During Oonjalthey had kummi and all the laides did kummi. They had both the culture South Indian and Gujrati. The marriage wasperformed inArya Samaj way. The bridegroom's father wore Pancha Kacham and his mother Nine yards . She is very creative in everything. Her school friends who had studied with her from 1st to 12th standard also came for the function and also sang and helped her. Like that she had many admirers because of her loving nature.

The bridgegroom's mother had kept a display in which she had posted the entire family photos , the main being her in laws, their family and the latest the bridegroom and the bride. She had made a mango with kundan stones and in the middle put the couple photo. I have uploaded the oonjal and display in my album.

At Muhurth time the thali was tied according to South Indian culture . Then the other rituals were there according to Arya Samaj. By 1 pm. lunch was ready and everyone enjoyed the yummy lunch. There was south indian dishes and gujrathi dishes and I think south Indian s especially the youngsters must have enjoyed the gujrathi lunch and the gujrathis the south indian lunch especially the avial and pal payasam. I enjoyed both the lunches having little of each There was a big crowd of Gujrathis and South Indians. During Mehndi time made friends with the bridegroom's mother'sfriends and as usual told them about this wonderful virtualfamily.

[h=2]Lyrics of Song : Dil Se Dil Takraye Phir Dono Ghabraye (Love Marriage Kar Laye[/h]

geeta: dil se dil takaraaye phir donon ghabaraaye
    sabr kii dorii tut ga_ii to
    love marriage kar laaye -2
    rafi: dil se dil takaraaye phir donon ghabaraaye
    ko: dil se dil takaraaye phir donon ghabaraaye

geeta: wo uttar ke panchhii the aur wo dakkhin kii mainaa
    ko: la la
    geeta: wo uttar ke panchhii the aur wo dakkhin kii mainaa
    ek roz ek baag men yun hii lad gaye nainaa -2
    rafi: dil de ke ghar aaye ghar aa kar pachchhataaye

ko: dil se dil takaraaye phir donon ghabaraaye

rafi: kab tak par let kar karate taaron se baaten
    ko: la laa
    rafi: kab tak par let kar karate taaron se baaten
    niind chalii ga_ii ruth ke kaise katatiin raaten -2
    geeta: apanon se sharamaaye gairon se kataraaye
    ko: ( dil se dil takaraaye phir donon ghabaraaye
    love marriage kar laaye -2 ) -2P.S. Sorry for boring you all with my long post.

7 people like this.

2. lucky2

lucky2 Platinum IL'ite

glad to know you enjoyed every moment of the wedding..:)))

1 person likes this.
  3. swathiiyer

swathiiyer Silver IL'ite

Hey Vijima that was a nice and detailed account of the marriage :p Felt as if all these are happening in front of my eyes..

Happy that you enjoyed every moment of the wedding

1 person likes this.
  4. evelinrony

evelinrony Gold IL'ite

Hi Vijiaunty,

Long time since I saw a wedding....I miss India, the weddings,traditions...u made me feel I was in India for the last few moments....Thanks

1 person likes this.
  5. iyerviji

Thank you Lucky dear for your first fb which made me feel happy. Ya dear I enjoyed every moment

6. iyerviji

Thank you Swathi dear , glad you enjoyed the write and felt you were present there. Thanks for your sweet fb.

7. iyerviji

Thank you dear for your visit here. Glad that though you miss India, weddings, traditions etc. through my post you could feel that you were in India , thanks for your sweet message

8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vijima,

Nice to read about the wonderful time you had at the wedding. These intercultural marriages are a lot of fun in every way - getting to experience the practices of other cultures and OF COURSE eating a variety of foods different from our own. :p The way forward to national integration. :-D

1 person likes this.
  9. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

I felt as if I am at the wedding and eating payasam. Beautifully narrated.

10. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Dear vijimam,
    read your post today only. Beautifully written - and your anjoyment and participation came thro' so well. Enjoyed reading it. Thanks.

1 person likes this.