1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

TV Programs & Children

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

[JUSTIFY]I am not a big fan of television and I don’t see many programs. However, I see a few programs like Mahabharatham and any program involving children. Recently, I had a chance to watch a program that involved singing by children. Many famous playback singers were judging their performance. The children were performing extraordinarily well for their age stunning the other participants, judges and viewers. However, some of the judges asked very inappropriate questions to those children including, “I have a son and will you marry him?” – “Do you have a boy friend?” and so on. I was in a state of shock for a prolonged period of time as most parents were watching and clapping when the children were blushing feeling uncomfortable to such questions. Later, I was furious with that television channel and stopped watching it.

I used to watch a wonderful children’s program conducted in a TV channel. The program coordinator used to ask children to come to the program with a makeup of Lord Krishna, Jesus Christ, Mahatma Gandhi, Bharathiar, Avvaiyar, Thiruvalluvar, etc. and ask children to present themselves some of their teachings. She also asked children to speak, sing or do other activities and eventually all children were rewarded for their efforts. It was an excellent program and children were thriving in that environment learning from each other. The whole program was managed with due care and diligence to teach children how to communicate, speak in public and learn more about famous personalities. The parents were clapping every time a child completed his/her performance.

After watching this program, I made a big mistake of assuming all children program would be very similar. A new program was announced a few weeks back and I thought it would be another one of character building exercise for children. When that program started, I noticed the program coordinator asked inconvenient questions to the children such as “Do you like your daddy or mummy?” – “Do you have a girl friend in your school?” – “Is your mom working?” – “What does she do at home?” – “Who cooks food every day at home?” The children were answering “I like my mummy better than daddy because my dad is big and fat” – “I actually have a girl friend” – “She does not work and she does not do anything at home either” – “My dad prepares food 5 days a week and my mom prepares food only during the week end”. Everyone who was attending the program including the parents was laughing encouraging the children to continue to speak in that manner. Finally, the program coordinator gave all children gifts making the children believe that such bad behavior will be rewarded.

I really don’t understand the purpose of conducting a program like that and why parents bring children to attend such a program. I also understand that this program is very popular in Tamilnadu among all children. I am not even sure why parents will allow their children to watch such a program. Children learn a lot from adults. Adults laughing at their answers and rewarding them for their behavior is simply inappropriate. This kind of TV programs is actually responsible for deterioration of character among children. There appears to be no standards set in the television channels to censor such activities and unless the parents take control of the situation, the children might venture into such unwanted programs. Even if parents restrict TV watching to 1-2 hours a day, unless they review such so-called children’s program, they may not know what impact it has on their children. It is time for TV channels to take some social responsibilities to give some quality programs for the children that would encourage them to build their character and begin to reward them for their right conduct.[/JUSTIFY]

2. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Yes, Viswa, what you say is absolutely right. Children should be taught good manners in their young age. Parents are the inspiration of children. Parents laugh for such comments by which act, they degrade themselves. What respect would the children have for others if they don't respect their parents? What kind of social responsibility will the children have? A very good one. Only thing is that it should be noted by the people who present such programs.
    Regards

3. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

4. Viswamitra

Dear Maalti,

Thank you for your first response to this post. Absolutely. Parents should encourage positive attitude and should never let children speak badly in the presence of others. As you rightly said, it is the responsibility of the TV station to conduct programs that would teach moral character to the children. It is not only the children who are participating but those who watch also will be encouraged to talk indifferent with the parents.

Viswa

5. Viswamitra

Dear Sunitha,

I always enjoy your quotes. My Guru used to call it as Televisham as it is sometimes poisonous to the children.

Viswa

6. mahvish

mahvish Senior IL'ite

7. mahvish

mahvish Senior IL'ite

T.V ..."NAZM"Urdu
    DANSTA AAGE OUR BHI HE!!!!
    ABHI NA PARDA GIRAO KE DANSTA OUR BHI!
    ABHI TOU TUTI HE KACHI MITTI, ABHI TOU BAS JISM HI GIRE HE!!!!!
    ABHI SULGTE HE RUH KE GAM ABHI DHADHKTE HE DARD KE DIL ABHI TOU AIHSAS JI RAHA HE!
    :drowning:drowning YEH LO BCHALO JO THAK KAR KiRDAR KI HATHELI SE GIR PDHI HE!!!
    KAHI TOU ANJAM - AO JUSTJU KE KE SIRE MILEGYE ABHI NA PRDA GIRAO, WWWTHARO......"GULZAR SAHB KI NAZM HE...

8. mahvish

mahvish Senior IL'ite

9. Viswamitra

Dear Mahvish,

I didn't understand your comments and I am unable to respond.

Viswa

10. InnerBliss

InnerBliss Gold IL'ite

Hello Sir,
    How are you?
    Just peeped into Indusladies for a moment and did not want to miss saying "Hello" to you.
    Trust you have now got settled in India and is doing something that you were dreaming last year.
    All the best.
    Anuradha