Turning 40..

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Feb 10, 2020.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I had to do this thread..

I always felt young and energetic maybe coz of exercise and a proper diet and my zest for life is still like a teenager and so are my desires..

Turning 40 in a couple of months.

According to me, age is really a number assigned and biological aging is different from a number.

So anyways..few funny things happened over the past few months which kept me thinking that it is time to accept my number:)

1) There was thread where I lamented to start working.My hubby wanted to relax me and jokingly said “you are already in a age where you need to think of retirement in a few years and now you are worrying so much about a job to prove to others?”.I got pissed off and he said he was just trying to make things light and want me to stress less and did not mean it other way.Little did he know..I was more concerned about the mention of my age Hee hee

2) Nowadays if I color my hair..people are like “grey hair?” Ten years back hair color was related to style but now?

3) Yeah I have started greying but not too much and was worried and last India trip went to a doctor to ask about it..lol.The doctor put her pen down and said “Madam,13 year old is getting hair grey.Why are you worrying so much?”..
    whoa! Shocker! So am getting..old..older!:eek:

4) went to a nightout with a group of ladies and one guy told us” hmm..You women look like you want to leave home duties for the day and relax”.

Maybe aging is not a bad thing.One needs to accept it.I might want to age gracefully,dress more elegant and enjoy the perks with comes with it.
    Even when I think about it..my workouts and diet are not to look fit but to be healthy.My idea of fitness also changed..

also..yeah if I may say so..i still admire good looking men but thinking about it,I admire men about 30 and below 55..when did this happen!!!

All my friends have kids who are above 14 and some even in college first year!yeah they got their kids younger..

I smile now when I remember the time I turned 20.I was so upset that my teens ended and my cousins were consoling that I still look young like a teen..ha ha ha:D
    But now?

Now when people call me aunty..my become a bathrakaali but come on! I am an aunty for people who are 20 but hey!30 year olds please excuse..maybe didi or akka is fine:D
    Love America where you are addressed by your last name!

Anyways,a fun thread:)

How did you feel when you ended a decade?

Yumna, yellowmango, Vaikuntha and 7 others like this.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

3. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Love your post! I'm younger than you...but have always been conscious about my age..
    But I share the same zest for life and wanting to look and feel young...
    I m not happy with my expanding waistline and hips and butt, the kilos that do not go off so easily , compared to some years back...some years back I could be slim without much effort with diet and exercise...now how much ever I watch what I eat and do physical work their weight just didn't go off...the white hairs discreetly appearing on my scalp which I need to cover up with Henna...i want to experiment with hair color but researching on the best one for me with least side effects...earlier i would have the hots for movie stars in their twenties , now I drool over movie stars in their thirties...hehe..
    If someone tells me I look younger than my age, I feel happy..
    Kids, even high school kids call me Aunty...by default they're obligated to as I'm a married lady with child...
    When I attend weddings, I really identify with the starry eyed bride in her early twenties, reminiscing how I was when I was her age...wishing I could go back to that stage...I still feel thinking about my college days and early days of my career when I was at the peak of my fitness and looks and when I was a confident , young and smart girl...now I feel like I'm an older middle aged overweight housewife..
    But I do not like the part where my older-by-a-couple-of-years and mature husband tells me to "act my age and be more mature" when I sometimes become cranky and irritable and pick arguments with him...
    Though I'm accepting my age and aging process and responsibilities of every stage if life, I wouldn't mind losing that extra weight and pimples and colouring that graying hair to look 10 years younger...:)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Thyagarajan, anika987 and Amulet like this.
  4. Needtobestrong

I'm very politically correct now to estimate a womans age and address accordingly...woman of my age group or some years older I call by name...10 years plus older I call as Akka, Didi etc...20 years age difference I call Auntie...any lady with a grown up daughter or son of marriageable age I call Aunty.. even if she looks young as I've to give respect...( those ladies who had babies in their early twenties would have kids of marriageable age by mid or late forties in that case I feel obligated to call aunty uncle )
    Becomes easy with relatives as I can address according to the relation !:)

Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Waist, butt, and whatever else that have enlarged are all things you can foist on the kids to make them realize to what extent we had sacrificed to have them, and raise them into whatever they turned out to be... Some people had even given up careers, and intelligent adult company at work, and all the work related friends, and parties, to be stay-at-home-moms to raise their children.

OP concedes that she had her baby(ies?) later in life; but those who have teenagers at 40, are already getting kids to go on guilt trips. This will continue till kids get married and escape the parental home. After they do, we have to deal with the widened/enlarged items all on our own; or... perhaps there'd be the really guilty one who did that to us, still living at home.
    Isn't life wunderful ?

6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

mulling over guilt trips made me remember this fun radio show:

7. Needtobestrong

This is the material used , rather misused by MILs to emotionally blackmail their sons later on in life...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

You use strong language !! We must stand in the shoes of a mummy with a married child.

Imagine the OP of this thread keeping an account of all of the opportunity costs of raising one child from age 0 to 25. Lost career, wages, friendships never made, experiences at work never had, etc. etc. And add to all that the direct costs of taking care of the various aspects of raising the child, inculcating appropriate values, keeping her safe, teaching her to do good in school, helping with homework, etc. etc. That is a huge amount of investment.

A mummy is entitled to extract more than a little payback. I think mummies need training on how to extract payback without causing pain.

40 is indeed a critical age. There is yet much to learn.

AmulB, Sunshine04 and anika987 like this.
  9. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

always loved reading what you write! Can relate so much with you and always felt that if we had met in person,we will be great friends:)You also write from the heart needtobestrong and you have the zest for life!!!:)

Needtobestrong likes this.
  10. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I guess it depends on what you are comparing yourself with on a daily basis. When I turned 30, i didnt care about the decade ending. My worries were about my goals. I had a list of things to achieve when i turned 30 and I was slightly upset that I haven't hit my goals then. Like you OP, I exercise and have a reasonable fit, may be because of that I dont have very many grey hairs yet (could be the genes too). But I can definitely see the wrinkles and under eye bags and dark circles. It is disappointing, but I have accepted myself:blush:!!

anika987 likes this.