1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Tulsi plant

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by chamu02, Aug 1, 2013.

1. chamu02

chamu02 Gold IL'ite

Friends.
    i have a small tulasi plant in our study room table - well aerated and sunny in the morning. Its small plant - i myself have it for nearly 8 month. My issue is the upper layer of the soil has a green moss sort of layer. Should change the soil or dig it and mix well ? Wont it affect the root ? Am very new to gardening and i have only tulasi plant . I would like to save it properly before it gets affected ( not sure if green layer will affect or enhance !:bonk:bonk:bonk)
    I water the small little plant every day morning with plain puja water of 150 - 200 ml .

Also i have noticed the tulasi plant has never given seeds ( the earlier ones that i had , also never shown the seeds - I really wonder why this is so !!!!!!)

Any help please !

2. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

not too sure... but my guess is that green patch is water moss (slimy looking right??)

digging is okay as long as you dont dig deep... (i use a blunt knife to dig in my small garden in our balcony (i have tulsi, ajwain plant, some flowers(rose, jasmine, hibiscus)).. i think you should dig a little wise "may be" your plant wont get enough water... i water them twice normally (rainy season only once)

if you remove the leaves for puja then it just grows... i have 3 tulsi plants and (one is young just planted 1.5 months back in pot... rest two gave seeds)... if they seed before the seeds dry (when its is grown and green) remove it and dry it or if you plant it you may get another plant soon! (dont remove seeds with scissors.. use fingers... tulsi plant die if scissors touch it... an aunt in native told me that... she has "green hands".... (if that aunt plants the stem of the rose we get from market... it grows into beautiful plant under her care!))

2 people like this.
  3. luckysangeetha

luckysangeetha Gold IL'ite

u neeed to put fertile soil in it only then it will become better

4. sarada30

sarada30 Platinum IL'ite

there are two types of tulsi plants one is krishna tulasi and the other is rama tulasi

one of this krishna tulasi plants will not give much seeds.

1 person likes this.
  5. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

my krishna tulsi plants gave seeds... :) (at my mom's place.. .i had a patch of tulsi plants... my mom used to make big garlands for the temple!)

if you remove stem with leaves from the tip (in our language we say "nirmal"... its used in puja... konkani i mean) it will grow longer... and if you keep doing it regularly it will grow

6. Phalguni

Phalguni Bronze IL'ite

I am facing a problem with growing my tulsi plant too. The leaves turned black on the tips.So, i changed the soil and re planted. Now, the leaves are very tiny.
    I place it on the window sill. Sun light is in abundance.
    All the other plants in my window garden are looking so very fresh and lively in this monsoon and flowering too.
    I am planning to buy a new tulsi plant now. Please help me with the tips to grow a healthy tulsi plant from the start.

7. Sowmya2709

Sowmya2709 Platinum IL'ite

Even am having problem in growing tulsi.. I am living in abu dhabi and its summer here.. Got this plant a month back and it was growing well for first week, but later leaves started shredding.. I've kept it in our small balcony where direct sunlight is not available but enough sunlight is there.. I water it twice a day.. but all the leaves are gone and only tiny leaves are at the bottom.. Any idea how to give life back to my tulsi plant..

8. PrabhaSaravanan

PrabhaSaravanan Bronze IL'ite

the green layer would be becoz of the moisture as you keep inside the room,better keep the pot few hrs in a shady sunlight they will disappear ,also spray some sand over them they will absorb the moisture. Actually tulsi plants require moderate sunlight and watering once a day thats it, they will grow well .Enjoy gardening!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  9. chamu02

chamu02 Gold IL'ite

Thanks friends,
    There are good enough sunlight for 3-4 hours in the morning ( 8 am - 11 am approx) directly over tulsi plant. And i water them once , with daily pooja water but i dont pluck leaves for pooja. Still theres not even ONE seed in it and in the earlier 2 plants too ( I just keep 1 plant one time ) .
    Also am not aware differentiation between krishna tulsi and rama tulsi !
    May be sometimes back few days were rainy continuously that would have grown the green layer . Now i really scared to dig and mix it because once i tried , it has lot of worms :hide: It is disgusting to see them . so instead of digging can i change the plant to other soil . If so how can i loosen the plant from current soil ? Also please share if the worms are normal in the soil ? because i have it over the study table !!! Or should i change the plant itself ? ( i have emotional atachement with my plant - i feel it like a baby / like Girl God / friend of Lord blah blahblah....- so i really would like to give a good grow? Anyways to enhance ?

10. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

krishna tulsi leaves are darker color... somewhat purplish color... other one is green color... and for puja we arent supposed to use the krishna tulsi.. my granny used to tell so...

if its earthworn... its good for the plant... i dono about other worms.... if u change the soil completely the plant may dry off.... if you are okay with it dig it once... slowly...

its rainy here... but plants in my balcony garden doesnt have that green slimy thing.. not even one plant... my tulsi gets sun early morning because balcony faces east... and water i put once during my morning puja... after that its the rains for now... my plants are seeding...

next time when you plant new tulsi get it with different soil... dont use the present one... soil may be one reason you have worms and slimy thing... (normally potted plants soil need to be changed... earth grown plants soil changes during rains so they grow well!)