1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tubal vs. Vasectomy

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Akanksha1982, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Have a colleague at work who will be delivering second baby in Jan. Her husband ask her to get the tubal done post delivery. We were discussing why should she get tubal done and why her husband can't get Vasectomy done. End result of both is the same. I don't know which one is difficult or complicated, but why does women have to get it done? why can't men go for it? Any thoughts?

2 people like this.

2. god2014

god2014 Gold IL'ite

Both are not the same. i mean the purpose might me the same, its family planning subject, but vasectomy is very simple and easy to forgo, while for women, tubectomy is painful. Also again in the society, every one tells the mother who has given birth to forgo this so that both pains could be tolerated.

Mostly after the child birth this is immediately done as women are branded pain bearer so they can tolerate. From my point it shows male chauvinism, men never go and ask female to do so, mere egoistic to get it done as they think it would bring end to sexual life or their potency in sex life.

I too had this quest in my mind why all tough task are imposed on female and easy task on men, at least we give birth, can't they take the process done by them, let them also get the pain, Why always women are tagged in such a way in this society..

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
    6 people like this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Vasectomies are out patient procedures. You get it done, you go home. Depending on the method, tubal ligations can be quite involved, and most require a hospital stay. Also vasectomies are much easier to reverse. Any decent and caring husband ought to volunteer to have a vasectomy instead of asking his wife to have a tubal ligation.

5 people like this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Agree with Gauri. Many doctors here suggest the same if the couple is done having children. As far as I'm concerned it's a no-brainer.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

In my case my husband offered to get it done stating that I have already been operated twice and the c-sec again would be more for me to handle. My Gynaec told him that she is happy that he wanted to go for vasectomy but since it was a c-section again, it is not going to more as she will combine both. this was 16 years ago and i was happy that he considered that, as he sprung that as a surprise to me,during the doctors visit.

but even today i see a lot of women going for tubal rather than vasectomy which is easier to recover, time and more and also more easily reversible as gauri says. it is fine if it was a c-section but a planned tubectomy alone does not make much sense atleast to me.

there is need for more and more understanding in the men folk, and maybe it should start at home. being considerate and respectful of pain, feelings too. trying to do that with my son. keeping fingers crossed...

3 people like this.
  6. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Why all this? Why not simpler birth control methods? (yes I realize they are not 100% but they are safe when used right).

1 person likes this.
  7. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

I once heard a husband of a friend say, if i get vasectmy then ill be firing blanks!! i so much wanted to give him a life lesson in front of everyone but controlled my anger !!:bang

2 people like this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

ragini, mostly again the onus falls right on to the women in many cases, and i think women feel this is the best way getting rid of being in tension waiting for af every month, and the complications and side effects of prolonged usage of contraceptives methods in some women.

in my case i had a weak uterus and it was more of a risk.

sindmani and Akanksha1982 like this.
  9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I begged my doc for a tubal at the time of my c-section at 29 weeks. He refused, stating that the baby has to be at least two years old before he would even consider it. I told him I was very clear I would never ever go through this again no matter what the outcome. He didn't do it and asked me to come back when my son turned two. I will not go back for another surgery, I just thought both can happen at one go.

2 people like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Laks,

most gynaec do not allow the tubal until 2 years for fear of some untoward issues especially with premie history is my opinion. because i know of many who have had their tubal along with their c-sections even as recent as a year ago. (though you are not supposed to do it unless there is a strong reason..)

2 people like this.