TTC tests to be performed

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by ramyav_cse, Dec 29, 2009.

1. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

Re: medical test before pre-pregnancy?

If you think you have no weight Issues, or irregular periods then you dnt need any tests to be done you can just try natural.

I'm anaemic my count is 7.5, I had Iron tabs and ate a lot of green leafy vegs , will help you with your blood count.

2. VLR

VLR Silver IL'ite

Hi tictactoe

You can always visit a gynaec and set up a pre-conceiving appointment. My first appointment involved blood work and ultrasound & pap test. The doc will also prescribe pre-natal vitamins. If all the results are normal, the doc might ask you to try naturally for a year or six months (depending on your age) and then move on to other treatments if it is unsuccessful.

You and your DH should eat healthy. If you are over-weight or under-weight make sure you address all of those. baby dust to you

3. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

I cannot stress enough the importance of a Pre-conception check up with your GYN..

1. Get a PAP test done
    2. Ask for Pre-natal vitamins
    3. they do blood tests to check if you have immunity to some viruses (if you have had the MMR vaccine) & if you are vitamin deficient..
    4. They will discuss other problems if they come up in the blood work
    5. doc will give u TIPS on ttc..

I went for my normal yearly GYN visit & told her I was planning to conceive in the coming year, she gave me a check-up accordingly.. everything was normal thankfully

When my friend went for her pre-conception check-up, they found out that she had Thyroid (she didnt have any symptoms), vitamin d deficiency, calcium deficiency, iron deficiency, no MMR vaccine & some other things.. She now has to take 9 tablets everyday for a few months and then the doctor will assess her again before giving her the green light to start to ttc.. SO you may feel normal, but you never know something could be wrong..

All the best

4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

tictactoe

Along with all the other tests that everyone has suggested, I would sincerely suggest a visit to the dentist also to get anything teeth-related fixed.

I had to get a wisdom teeth extraction done and they could only do it in the 2nd trimester with local anasthesia. Also since they could not prescribe antibiotics or strong painkillers made it a bit difficult. It is really worth considering.

All the best :thumbsup

5. Shanmukhabhavan

Shanmukhabhavan Silver IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type"><meta content="Word.Document" name="ProgId"><meta content="Microsoft Word 10" name="Generator"><meta content="Microsoft Word 10" name="Originator"><link href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CIndu%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml" rel="File-List"><o:smarttagtype name="stockticker" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags"><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:&quot;&quot;; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;; mso-fareast-font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> Hi Tictactoe!

There are no particular tests to be done before ttc, anyhow you can have these tests/things done before ttc

Get an idea about health history - length of monthly cycles. Track your cycles and ovulation (using an ovulation monitor or <st1:stockticker>BBT</st1:stockticker> chart) for six months to make sure you are ovulating.

Pap smear test (a test for any abnormalities, which can be caused by STDs or cancer)

Meet a dietitian, if possible or would like to

Ask for prenatal vitamins- folic acid etc

Blood tests for hormones –thyroid etc

As Peartree mentioned, have dental check up in regular intervals

Mention your doctor if you have any particular health issues/concerns.

Good luck and happy trying!
    [/JUSTIFY]</o:smarttagtype>

6. shrutidunwoody

shrutidunwoody Bronze IL'ite

Make sure you visit a good ob gynec. She will probably do a pap smear test. A ultrasound to make sure eveything is good. Then there are various tests like semen analysis , hsg etc. Try naturally for six months by using ovulation kits to know exactly when you are ovulating or not. Baby dust to you.

7. yasskamal

yasskamal Bronze IL'ite

What basic test should be take for preganancy

Hai Ilites,

We are newly married couples. But i didnt conceive yet past one year. I am afaid of to consultant a doctor because i was affected mild typoid fever past three months. Last month we decided to go consult a doctor. She says You are normal. You should take hormorne test. But i didnt go yet. What can i do? Please help me friends...........

with love
    yasskamal :-(

8. VLR

VLR Silver IL'ite

Re: What basic test should be take for preganancy

yasskamal

Did you consult a gynaec or a gp? I am not sure how she can say you are normal without taking any tests :idontgetit:

You did not mention your age. Normally doctors advice couples below 30-35 years to try naturally for a year and if they do not succeed then consult a doctor.

Have you tried charting your fertile days since you started ttc? Are your periods regular.

You can meet a gynaec and get a pre-conceive appointment and get the basic tests done if you wish. That would involve blood work, ultrasound and your DH semen analysis. They would prescribe pre-natal vitamins as well. If everything is normal, you can try naturally for a few more months by timing your IC.
    all the best

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  9. yasskamal

yasskamal Bronze IL'ite

Re: What basic test should be take for preganancy

Hai Vidhya Mam,
    Thank You for your reply mam. I am in 30. Period is in regular once in 28 days. I saw your reply today. Dont mistake me mam please. Next month we will try to utilize my fertility period. Thank in advance to your reply mam......

With love
    yasskamal

10. sabithag

sabithag Senior IL'ite

test name

Hi All,

can anyone please tell me the name of the test which is done on the 3rd day of menstrual period to know the reasons for not conceiving. The test tells about uterus,ovaries and fallopian tubes.

Thanks,
    Sabitha.