TTC tests to be performed

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by ramyav_cse, Dec 29, 2009.

1. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

We have been TTC for 3 months now(Im in TWW of cycle 3).
    We visited the gyn today to discuss the preconception agenda and also to get a request for my thyroid test as I was in my last refill(Im hypothyroid).
    In April, I was diagonosed with PCOS by my gyn in India and was on Metformin for 3 months. I reduced 15 pounds and now have been getting my periods pretty regularly(30-35 days).
    I met the gyn today with all the reports.
    This is what she asked us to do:
    1. Test for FSH and LH on day 2 of my next cycle.
    2. Test for Prolactin, Free Testostrone, free T4, T3 Uptake, TSH - All these for checking my thyroid levels
    3. DHEAS
    4. Insulin fasting and Blood Sugar
    5. Estradiol (dont know what this means)
    6. Progestrone - a week after my next ovulation
    7. HSG between my next period and before next ovulation
    8. Semen Analysis for my husband

I also went through my pap smear today and am yet to get the results.
    I would like to know if all these tests need to be taken right now or would we be pushing too hard without giving ourselves the natural time.

Appreciate if any of you'll in this process enlighten me about which test is to be done after how many months of trying.
    A chart on this could also be uploaded to help those going through similar process so that we can help ourselves from the stress and also save some money.

Thanks
    Ramya

2. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ramya,
    If you are not beyond 30, please try for natural 6 cycle without medical intervention. Start Follic acid supplements & other pre-natals in this stage.

Other than HSG, everything can be done in any of your cycle. For HSG, take it only after sufficient tries.

Before taking up the treatments, Please try how much ever you can in natural attempts. Medication will have stress associated with it. You will keep thinking about it & need to run behind treatment all the time.

Stay positive & enjoy your current TTC.
    Baby dust to you.

3. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Thanks Vasumathy.
    We have decided that I would get tests 1-5 mentioned above done on the 2nd day of my next cycle as of now.
    As you said, Ive decided to let my HSG wait for a few more cycles.
    Also would appreciate if anybody could guide me on whether to take progestrone test this early and Semen Analysis for hubby.

Thanks
    Ramya

4. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

They are simple tests to take up. Those tests will help you to know the conditions of your body & may be you will be provided with some medication to support.
    If you are going for other set of test, take up this too. Finish the first level of diagnosis in the next cycle. Take time for your HSG.

5. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Hi Gals,

I was hoping to get some good response from you gals and even told my hubby that IL frenz will guide us on this...56 views and just 1 person to respond...please advice and guide me gals :drowning

6. priyanathan3

priyanathan3 Bronze IL'ite

Hi ramya,

how r u? how r things at ur end? hope everythings wrks out fine!

i am also going through the same phase of life!
    just chill! :cheers

it's just matter of time!

7. savannas

savannas Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ramya,
    In similar boats.. Hoping that we all sail smoothly and safely ..
    Lots of babydust to you, dear !
    Regards
    Savitha

8. annavarapus

annavarapus Senior IL'ite

Hi Ramya,

Good that you have decided to undergo the tests 1-5 that you have listed.

Estradoil test is generally done to check the no.of follicles that will develop during the cycle.This test along with FSH gives your Dr an idea about the follicles.It's just a blood work and so it should be all fine.

Progesterone test after a week past ovulation is done to check the prog levels which will indicate whether you ovulated or not.I would recommend going for it as it would eliminate all the guessing work and your Dr can plan accordingly.And again this is just a blood work and so better to get it done.

If all the tests look fine,The dr might want to rule the possibility of blockage in the fallopian tubes and so the HSG.As you said you might want to wait for a cpl of cycles before getting it done.

Semen analysis --I would suggest go for it.It's always good to be sure that everything is fine at your end.

All the tests suggested by your DR is to formulate a plan to achieve success.All the best and lots of baby dust.

9. Aana

Aana New IL'ite

Hi Ramyav_Cse,

I went for hormonal test as u mentioned from 1-4 on day 3 of my cycle. It was a simple blood test. and everything came fine after one week.
    As like u I am also ttc for past 4 months. and my doctor advised me to take this test after one month of trying bcoz I stressed her.

then regarding HSG she told if anything is wrong in this hormonal test, and if we wish then only she will go for the HSG test also but luckily I dont need to. but she advised me to try for 9 months then if nothing happens then she was able to decide something. and she advised me not to hurry for HSG test and all. So on that day I m little bit relaxed.

And she also told me that if everything is fine age is not a factor also.
    So Pls dont worry everything will be fine and trying for 3 months is not that much long. I will pray for you!

Regards
    Aana

10. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Thanks friends. Itz been over a month since I posted this...Im juz grieving over the failure of my cycle #4.
    I did go through the blood tests excpet progestrone and as expected my LH:FSH ratio was 1:2...so looks like Im a victim of PCOS and the gyn has prescribed me with Metformin 2*500 mg. As of now Im taking that and trying to lose more weight (Gosh this Metformin helps losing weight in a jiffy...Im already down by 7 pounds in less than a month :)).
    My gyn said DH had borderline SA report but could be gotten over with natural remedies. We are trying that also.
    I did not take preogesterone tests now and will be taking it possibly in this cycle. As for HSG Im letting it wait as we are thinking of relocating to India and probably retest the whole thing by the end of this year.