1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Trip With Acquaintances

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Vedhavalli, May 25, 2021.

1. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,

I know where you are coming from, when planning vacations to remote places its better to be prepared than running around with hungry tummy's and cranky group.

If your budget/time allows you, take couple of items in large quantities like rotis/curry or rice bag with ready mix (puliyogare) or lemons or any mixed rice readymade mixes and large yogurt box, trust me people sound selfish when they first start planning with a never met group, but would participate in-person and would really appreciate when someone got thoughtfully. And also load with some kids/adult friendly snacks like bhel or so.

As it is only weekend getaway, it will go by even before you realize. Don't forget to pack some board games for adults/kids which you already have at home, as summer is kicking in we can't hike all day long.

Have fun!

2. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

OP,
    I am planning a trip with 2 other families. We all know each other. But never went for a trip together.
    But we are similar minded or this trip will show us:blush:!

we are planning if we cook, it will be combined effort or buy easy to cook meals - grilling or other kind of camp food (buy and share the cost is the plan) when eat outside, everyone is their own. We all eat pretty much everything and no allergies. Our activities are planned ahead (most are similar age group).

We have a similar trip couple years ago, and that was one of the best trips. After that H and I kept saying we should vacation only with friends. More than sight seeing, it was the conversations, the laughs, the connections we made, funny pictures we took. Hands me down the best trip.

Op, go with no prejudice. you will enjoy. Take it easy. This is a vacation, no?

Vedhavalli and KashmirFlower like this.
  3. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Let the men cook and allow ladies to relax
    Dont take any responsibility now, just observe. Consider it as a trip for you and family. Take whatever you want, may be extra too if others need it. You can buy and cook if you all want. If you want you can take spices or other stuff for your satisfaction and keep it in your car. Tell your husband also the same. Just share, dont play the role of hostess in a trip unless every one have similar interest. Go with the flow. Enjoy.

I have good memories of similar trip when we all stayed in a cabin . But everything was planned ahead. We even prepared an excel sheet with all stuff needed who is going to bring it. Every one, participated in the meal preparation including men. It was lot of fun. So include every one. Take a step back now and see how it goes, then decide, but be prepared. Have a great trip!

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    Vedhavalli likes this.
  4. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

I agree with you hungry & cranky people can spoil the mood.

I'm more than happy to buy ready made rotis, tepla is freshly made by a aunty near by I can order bulk quantity. It's not a issue.
    Those people keep saying we will eat a heavy breakfast we won't need lunch. For dinner we will eat something to anything(exact words).
    But there is no restaurant or fast food joints near 30 miles.
    First one of ladies said we need fully equipped kitchen in the place of stay.
    I thought probably she means for next day we will cook or reheat. Even bread is deemed unnecessary for them. No one initiated any actual plan.
    When we are making trip with kids we need little planning if not a full fledged plan with agenda.
    So I thought at least for my kid I should plan I don't want my child to go hungry.
    I'm really worried if I'm the only who is thinking too much.

Rihana likes this.
  5. Vedhavalli

There you go little planning is needed. Here I'm saying there is no actual plan. For whatever I say their reply is "we wil & see" will plan after arriving etc. It's not a theme park, it's a no cellphone tower area.
    I don't want awkward situations

Angela123 and Rihana like this.
  6. Vedhavalli

Done ✔I can't eat alone when others are looking for what to eat where to eat.
    I wanted to plan little ahead of time for kids not my child alone. We all know how kids get hungry on trip with physical activities.
    I tried telling them no need to cook let's bring ready to eat, rotis. Tepla, bread , cinnamon rolls etc.
    One lady said we will make indian snacks after going there. Later saying for 10 people it's not feasible so we will eat out.

Rihana likes this.
  7. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

OP- relax! You are thinking too much! It’s only a weekend and a restaurant 30 miles away is not as far as you think right now.

I have never planned a trip with 5 families. It has mostly been 2 families- ours and one more (different ones on different trips). So, my experience might be different.
    First, desi or non- desi doesn’t matter if people respect each other. I have always had a great time with our friends! Only time that I hated the trip was when my SIL wanted to take over the plans! She wanted to do it her way and of course no one had a good time. Don’t be that person! Remember that your friends are adults and can make their own plans. We usually plan for our family and buy extras for everyone to share. Instead of buying in advance and packing from home, find a grocery store close to your destination. It’s fun to buy stuff from a new store, gives the feeling of vacation! Stock up on basics- milk, bread, jelly, cereal, granola bars, fruits.. whatever your kids and you like. May be get some s’more supplies for a fun evening snack for the kids! In California, it’s nice to buy fresh fruits from the stands instead of getting from the store! Have a plan for breakfast and snacks, lunch and dinner can be ordered or picked up. It’s a vacation, don’t make it too much work for yourself!

This is what we do! Everyone brings different snacks and they share. For meals, go together but pay for your meal. For sightseeing, we do a few things together and then based on our preference, we might do something that we want to do but other family doesn’t.
    Respect other people and yourself! No need to be na event planner!

anika987, Mistt and Angela123 like this.
  8. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

You take rotis and ready to eat stuff, noodles in quantity somewhat more than needed for your family. That way all the kids can also be given food if needed.
    That's all can be done in this situation.
    Relax.

anika987 likes this.
  9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Bring food for your family and some extra snacks to share. Carry snacks and beverages while you’re hiking. It will prevent kids from becoming hangry.

chanchitra likes this.
  10. Swetha52003

Swetha52003 Gold IL'ite

Are you taking a cooler?

Try to pack or buy from your destination: plenty of juices as it is summer soon, water,milk, chocolate milk bottles for kids, tortillas some canned beans and shredded cheese ( for a quick lunch or dinner). Warm the tortillas, spread the canned mashed beans, sprinkle cheese, fold and toast. Quick fix quesadillas ready :)

You can pack perishable foods, such as sandwiches, just be sure you have a cold source (such as an ice pack). The more you stash in a backpack, the harder it is to hike, so opt mainly for non-perishable foods that are relatively lightweight such as

Trail mix
    Nuts, seeds, nut-based bars or nut butter packs
    Fresh, whole fruit that doesn’t require refrigeration such as apples, bananas and oranges
    Granola and energy bars. Kind bars and RX protein bars are good. You can buy in bulk from Costco
    Ready-made salad pouches
    Other shelf-stable Indian snacks like bhakarwadi, chiwda etc.

Anything you take, take in large quantities so you don’t have to consult or WhatsApp.. When you and your family eat, offer to others too, I am sure they will join and will be offering from theirs too...

Everything will be ok!Be safe! Have fun !

KashmirFlower likes this.