1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

trip to India - advice needed regarding food for flight

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by savannas, Dec 14, 2009.

1. savannas

savannas Bronze IL'ite

Dear writeme, libra4164 and desidiva,
    Thanks a lot for your feedback.. I will check with airlines website and ofcourse make sure that the liquids we have are less than 3 fl. oz.
    We are searching online for good hotel deals.. lets see what happens !
    And desidiva, we dont have a UK visa yet.. But our friends told us that for transit visa, you can obtain on arrival.. and it should not be a problem.. so we are hoping for the best.. ofcourse, if the visa queue is too long or something and we need to be inside airport only, then I am thinking where to rest.. but I have posted my questions in a separate thread.. am hoping someone with experience will speak up.. lets see !

loving regards
    Savitha

2. jasmineofnan

jasmineofnan New IL'ite

Hi ,
    I had the same problem when i was flying to india, so here are some ideas -pack some idlies , aloo chappti , some granola bars ,nuts, fruits . one most important thing when u pack do it in ziplock bags ,so it is visible, also ask ur agent to make sure airline gives some indian food.
    Have a nice trip :)

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

One of the things that you can do to lighten your load is to take empty clear water bottles and after you get through security you can fill at a water fountain or at a fast food place...there is always a water choice at the ice machine or the clerk will fill for you. I carry the little sleeves of herbal tea mix that you pour in and shake. Celestial Seasonings makes good ones all natural no calories (sweetened with stevia).

I used to carry a lot of food fearing being stuck but now I just carry enough for the between flight times. Don't take anything salty. Bananas are always a good choice unless you squish them, few dry fruits, some crackers and cheese. I have travelled to India on United, Delta, Swiss, Jet and AirIndia and the only time I had trouble was on Swiss due to an allergy and not food poisoning (chocolate allergy).

4. savannas

savannas Bronze IL'ite

hi tashidelek,
    thats a very good idea.. I was also thinking of taking some bottle/flask.. I really need water all the time.. The dip-tea bags is another good idea.. am planning to cut fruits and make a fruit-custard like thingie and take it in throw-away plastic cups..

thanks everyone for your inputs.. looks like food should be taken care of..

love
    savitha

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I was not talking about dip tea bags....I am talking about herbal tea powder that you just pour into your water bottle and shake. Look in tea aisle in American grocerty store and you can find.

6. NISHA BALAJI

NISHA BALAJI Senior IL'ite

Dear savitha...

British airways is really good...good service

Nisha