Trip to Houston - Restaurants, Places to visit and Shopping areas

Discussion in 'Indians in Houston' started by joylava, Sep 25, 2007.

1. joylava

joylava New IL'ite

Hello friends in houston,

I am joylava from Dallas :) ..i come to Houston Meenakshi Amman temple on a regular basis..I wanted to know some good vegetarian restaurants..prefarably south indian ones.. The temple is in Pearland and i couldnt find any places of interest or hotels around that place..
    Also would luv to know any interesting place to visit or do shopping in houston.. I heard there r lots of indians there..

Kindly let me know your suggestions..Planning to go this weekend..

Thanx in advance
    joylava:2thumbsup:

2. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

Re: want to know more about Places in Houston!!

I'm also planning a trip to Houston.Can you ladies throe some light on the places in and around Houston...may be kid's friendly place....

When I googled I came across Kemah Boardwalk,galveston....

Anything more...Pls share...

3. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Re: want to know more about Places in Houston!!

Shravanthika and joylava,
    It's a late reply, but will be useful for people who come to Houston in future.
    As for restaurants, I enjoyed at Madras Pavillion which is in kirby dr.

Also Dakshin which is up north is good. Good for people coming from Austin and north direction. Cypress is the area. Indian Oak and Minerva are also there in nearby localities.

Further there are Udupi and Balaji Bhavan hotels in Hillcroft.

Down south, near temple, I am not aware of any restaurant. But will find out and post here. The temple has a cafeteria of it's own where they sell pongal, dosa, curd rice, puliyodarai etc. You may want to try that. It's good.

As for places around, Houston Science museum is a good place to take your grown up kids to.

As for younger kids, you can take them to, the zoo and aquarium. I enjoyed the zoo a lot. Herman's park is the place where they are located. You can Google further to know more about the exhibits in that particular season you travel.

Galveston is an hour from Houston. If you are okay with traveling it's a nice place to take your kid. Kemah Boardwalk is a nice idea too.

As for shopping, you can go to Hillcroft. Couple of Indian outlets are there. Also you can visit Katy Mall ( West Houston), Woodlands Mall (North), Galleria Mall (Downtown) or Willowbrook Mall ( Northwest) depending on whichever is closer.

Use google maps to get exact address and way from where you are.

I ll update IL directory with these entries, you can get the exact locations there and also the ratings by our fellow Houstonians and tourists.

Hope this helps.:)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  4. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi all ,

My hubby and i are planning to visit Houston for a weekend. The main motive is to visit the Meenakshi temple. Other than that we wanted to visit the attractions in and around Houston.

Help us here..

5. Ranchu

Friends pl suggest some place so that i can plan my trip.
    Since we are a couple , we do not prefer the kids-attractions mentioned in this post.

6. Ranchu

:confused2: wow... interesting.. arent there any places to visit in houston or nearby houston ? ! (for adults who dont want to visit museums and malls)

what are we going to do for 2 days ? :idontgetit:
    :shock:

7. laksan

laksan New IL'ite

Hi Ranchu,

I agree Houston is boring in terms of local attractions but not that bad for 2 days :thumbsup.

You can go to Moody Gardens and Keemah boardwalk....where u can spend the whole day...but coz of recent hurricane IKE(I Hate It).....some portions of keemah boardwalk are closed.....but the boardwalk is open itseems ...Check their website.

Kemah Boardwalk - The Fun Never Stops
    and
    Moody Gardens Galveston Texas | Amusement Theme Parks | Houston Attractions | Family & Group Vacation Idea TX

But Besure to call them and make sure everything is fine after IKE....

Regards,
    Lakshmi