trinetram/ my visit Koothanur Sarasvathi temple

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by gowthamanappu, Feb 5, 2009.

1. gowthamanappu

gowthamanappu Bronze IL'ite

I wish to inform all that there is a exclusive temple for Maa Saraswathi, near Mayiladuthurai. I along with my family visit this temple regularly and do poojas. amazing place, must see in your lifetime. I am posting this because, people are now aware of this old precious temple. go thro. and if u require further info. revert back.

best wishes./chitra. G

KOOTHANUR SARASWATHI TEMPLE

Koothanur is a small village located near Poonthottam in the heart of the Temple belt of Tamil Nadu. This village is especially famous for the Saraswati Temple and its association with Ottakoothar, the Tamil poet.

The Legend
    Once upon a time a young devotee desirous of knowledge performed severe penance at the Saraswati shrine seeking the blessings of Saraswati. Saraswati took the form of a courtesan and materialised before him and expressed her desire to bless him. The devotee refused to accept her blessings, not knowing who she was.

Ottakkoothar rushed to the spot upon hearing of this incident, and recognising the identity of the courtesan, the poet prostrated before her seeking her blessings. Only after this incident, the fame of Ottakkoothar spread throughout the Tamil land. In fact, the name Koothanur derives from the poet's name Ottakoothar.

About The Temple
    The uniqueness of this temple lies in the fact that it is dedicated exclusively to the Goddess of learning Saraswati. Although there are shrines to Saraswati in most Shaivite temples as well as niche shrines to Brahma, temples dedicated exclusively to Brahma or Saraswati are very rare.

It is believed that the poet Ottakoothar erected the shrine very early in the 2nd Millennium. He is also said to have celebrated Vijaya Dasami, the day following the 9-day Navaratri festival in the Tamil month of Purattasi. There are several stone inscriptions, validating the antiquity of the temple.

On full moon nights, children are brought here in droves and the word "Om" is written on their tongues, with a stick dipped in honey. It is believed that such children blossom into fine orators, poets and musicians.

PRAYERS WITH ENGLISH MEANING

Saraswathi Namasthubhyam, varade Kama roopini,
    Vidhyarambham karishyami, sidhir bhavathu me sada.

My salutations to Goddess Saraswathi,
    Who can take any form,
    Who is the bestower of all boons,
    And I start learning now,
    With the prayer to her,
    To make it very effective.

Yakundendu Thushara Hara Davalam, Ya shubra vastravrutham,
    Ya veena vara danda manditha kara, Ya shwetha padmasana,
    Ya brahmachyutha Sankara prbhruthibhi Daivai sada poojitha,
    Saa maam pathu saraswathi bhagawathi Nissesha jadyabaha.

My saluations to Goddess Saraswathi,
    Who is while like a Kunda flower,
    Who shines like the full moon,
    Who carries in her hand a Veena and a stick,
    Who is seated on the throne of white Lotus,
    Who is worshipped by the holy trinity,
    With a prayer to drive away all my slothfulness.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009

2. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear Gowthamanappu,
    sooo nice of u to share your visit to SARASWATHI temple and sharing the pictures of GODDESS
    also. i've been to that temple& temples near that also. near
    that only there is a village called THIRUPPAMPURAM which is
    for RAGHU&KETHU. so many temples are there.
    this temple is the only temple dedicated to GODDESS SARASWATHI. thank you.
    your loving
    paddy:)

3. gowthamanappu

Dear PADDY,

Thanks for ur reply. I explore many places/temples, will post more. I want more people to know more about these places. I would like to know from members their experience and learn more. learning is a continuos process. what we know is nothing? did u see the pictures posted in photos/deities. u will love the same.

best wishes

chitra.g

4. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear Gowthamnappu,:coffee
    so happy to sea your reply.I am also interested in this subject. i arrange tours to temples in chennai. whenever i am about to visit atemple i study alot abt the temple and then only i visit the temple.I want to visit temples in karnataka. hope it will materialise.:) anyway thank u. i have visited many temples in kumbakonam. If yoy are interested i will share with you.
    with love andregards
    paddy.:hiya

5. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Gowthamanappu,

I liked the photos of Maa Saraswathi very much. I have been to this temple on a Pournami day, it was chock-a-block with school children waiting to get Her blessings!

Very close to this place is a temple to Lalithambika in hirumeeyachur, have your been there? Lalitha Sahasranamam was first recited at this temple. She is just soooo beautiful, my Lalitha Bhavani Maa.

LnBBHs,
    Padma

6. gowthamanappu

Dear Padma, I visit all these places every year and do abhishekam etc., with family and friends. we will sit in from of Lalithambigai for more than two hours, recite and enjoy her memories forever. we really know what nectar is after visiting this place. memorable one. should write to all members and should make them visit. I go to this belt once or twice a year. will never feel bored. I enjoy those days.

best wishes. chitra.g

7. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear gowtham,
    did u sea my previous mail?i was about to write about LALITHAMBIGA TEMPLE. in that temple, not only LALITHA SAHASRANAMAM but also Sage Agththiyar recite 'LALITHA NAVARATHNAMALA. actually two temples in one temple. AMBAL azhagai kana ayiram kan vendum. temple has such a sacntity.
    with love&regards
    paddy.

8. gowthamanappu

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  9. gowthamanappu

trinetram/ my visit to temple

Today, I would like to give info. about the great PATTEESWARM DURGAI. I have gone several times and wish all IL to know and get the bleesing of HER.

best wishes/reply if u want more info/chitra.g

Thenupureeswarar Temple
    This is a famous Shiva shrine that has the privilege of getting a mention in Thirugnanasambandhar's songs. This temple is also famous for "Shantha Swaroopi" Vishnu Durga. This was built by the Chola Kings.
    Unlike in other temples, the Durga here is very soft in look and grace (Shanta Swarupi). Sitting on her vehicle Lion, placing the feet on the head of Demon Mahishasura, the Gooddess appears in a Tribanga stature, eight hands, three eyes and jewels in the ears. Generally, the Lion carrying Kali would be looking on the right side. But the Shanta Swarupi Durga’s Lion here faces the left side. In her hands, the mother holds, conch, wheel, bow, arrow, sword, shield and a parrot.
    Visiting the Shiva Temples in the state, once saint Gnanasambandar came to Thirumazhapadi – Patteeswaram. It was summer. The Sun was at his peak. To protect Gnanasambandar from the scorching Sun, Lord Shiva sent a Pearl Umbrella (Muthupandal) through his Bhudaganas. The Lord wanted to enjoy the childish walking movement of child saint ordered Nandi to move from his place. Gnanasambandar’s joy knew no bounds and sung a pathigam (10 songs) beginning with the word Marai. The incidence is remembered each year during the Tamil Ani Month June-July) with all festive celebrations.
    § The name Patteeswaram was derived from the daughter of the Divine Cow Kamadenu PATTI WHO worshipped the lord here.
    § The Lord asked his vehicle Nandi to move a little so he could enjoy seeing the Child Gnanasambandar coming to have his Darshan.
    § Sri Rama was relieved of Sayagathi dosha for killing Vaali.
    § Goddess herself performed penance here.
    § It was in Patteeswaram; Rishi Viswamitra was admitted in the company of Brahma rishis with the backing of Gayatri Mahamantra.
    § Markandeya worshipped here.
    § All the Navagrahas here face the Sun. And they are positioned as per the "Aagama" tradition.

Durga stands imposingly with eight hands – ashta bhujam - on the head of the demon Mahishasuran. She poses effulgently on ‘Simhavahana’ and has three eyes which is an added attraction. Chanku, chakaram, bow, arrow, knife, parrot, abhayakaram, and kedayam adorn her eight hands.
    Draped in traditional madisar saree with lemon and arali garlands, she is ‘shanta swaroopini’. During Rahu Kalam, devotees flock to the temple to have her darshan, as she is believed to nullify the malefic effects of Rahu. The temple is bursting at its seams during Rahu Kalam on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays, Amavasay, Pournami, Ashtami and Navami. The temple is renowned for its architectural splendour and is a connoisseur’s delight
    http://podbazaar.castmetrix.net/down...atteswaram.mp3 (DOUBLECLICK THE LINK, IT WILL DOWNLOAD, THEN LISTEN TO THE AUDIO)

10. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Gowthamanappu,

I really enjoyed reading about the Durgai in Patteeswaram. Ambal in all her forms is my favourite deity. The photo of Lalithambikai is so beautiful, I wonder if I can take a print..

Do write more and about all the Devis...

LnBBHs,
    Padma