Trinetram/lilas of lord guruvayoorappan

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by gowthamanappu, Feb 12, 2009.

1. gowthamanappu

gowthamanappu Bronze IL'ite

few lilas of lord Guruvayoorappan:- and the fruits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LILAS OF LORD GURUVAYOORAPPAN

Lord Guruvayoorappan's grace

In this modern age here are some unique incidents of the Lord's compassion

The late Dikshitar:
    Upanyasa Chakravarti, Anantharama Dikshitar was cured of his leprosy by praying to Sri Guruvayoorappan. His disease was advanced that the watchman did not allow him to take bath in temple tank. 3 or 4 years later, Dikshitar came to pray to Guruvayoorappan to the amazement of all. The miracle was due to his faithful recitation of Narayaneeyam.

How Chembai Vaidyanatha Bagavathar regained is voice:
    Sri Vaidyanatha Bagavathar called Chembai, was one of the greatest musicians in recent times. Here is an account by himself of his regaining his voice due to the Lord's grace.
    "On January 7, 1952, I was giving a concert at holy Suchindram. An hour had elapsed and I was at the peak of my performance. All of a sudden, my vocal chords got stuck up, as it were, and my voiced totally failed me. THe concert broke up in confrusion. Many rushed up to the dais to render help. Doctors tried their best with pills and potions but to no avail."
    "I went through life without any hope and no ray of hope seemed to come anywhere. In this state of desperation, in 1954, on the great Ekadasi Day in Guruvayoor, I stood before the Lord and wrung out my heart to Him. I could not give vocal utrterance to my anguish. Memories of tghe glorious days when I had sung His praises surged forward."
    "O Lord, I cried out, will Thou not let me sing Thy praises? Will Thou let my heart break, for without this outward expression of my heart's agony, I can hardly live? Hadst Thou in the past not given the gift of speech to the great Muka Kavi? Had he not sung Thy praises in enchanting Sanskrit verses known so well as the Muka Panchasati Stotras?"
    "In my agony and mute supplication to the Lord, I had not noticed a Numbudiri standing at a distance of some fifty feet from me. He divined my trouble and came to me. He had evidently heard my inarticulate prayer. He promised to rid me of my trouble, Guruvayoorappan willing."
    "The Lord had sent his minister to help me and I regained my voice. In keeping with my promise I have since then been singing the praises of Bhagavan. Every year, I have the 'Udayastamana' puja performed at the temple fo Guruvayoor and the sum of Rs. 5,000 need for it comes from the concerts that Guruvayoorappan himself arranged".
    Despite the infirmities of old age from which he suffered Sri Chembai was indeed blessed-for he gave recitals till the day he breathed his last-Oct. 16, 1974. Right from the age of 20, Chembai had been visiting Guruvayoor almost every year for the Ekadasi Festival there and giving concerts which were attended by a large number of devotees.

The Lord and the little Priest:
    Once a little Nambudiri boy from Nenmeni Illam had to officiate as the temple priest in place of his father who had gone to a friend's house to attend a sraddha ceremony. The boy in all his innocence believed that the deity would actually partake of the naivedyam offered merely as a ritual.. He placed the cooked rice before the Lord and when He did not touch it in spite of all his entreaties, and even threats, he thought the Lord was averse to eating the naviedyam without butter-milk and mango pickles. So he brought these from a neighboring illam and placed them before the Lord. As the Lord still did not respond physically to the invitation, the boy said, sobbing, that his father would punish him, if the naivedyam was found untouched by Him. The Lord now relented and ate the entire naivedyam.

With great joy, the little priest placed the empty vessel before the Variyar attendant to have it cleaned. The latter whose perquisite it was to have the entire naivedyam flare dup at the boy thinking that he had eaten all of it. He waited for the boy's father to return and complained to him about his son. The father went in to a a rage and raised his hand to slap the son when an incorporeal voice was heard from the Srikoil: "The boy is innocent; I am the guilty one, not the unni"

The meaning of the fruit:
    Once upon a time.. In Guruvayoor temple, the priest had kept beetle leaves, beetle nuts and 2 banana fruits for the day's pooja. Due to hunger, a poor boy who had come to the temple, took the fruits kept for offering to God. The priest had closed his eyes and was telling the shlokas. Without having the heart to eat both the fruits, the poor boy kept one before Gurvayoorappan and ate the other one.

The priest who opened his eyes and saw got angry and as a punishment asked the boy to go around the sannidhi 100 times.

While the priest was watching, in one round he saw the poor boy and in the next round he saw the Lord Sri Guruvayoorappan, again and again. He called the poor boy and enquired, to which Lord Guruvayoorappan Himself answered: "As one of the two fruits was given to Him, half the punishment was His". The priest realized the Truth and shed tears.

HARE KRISHNA HARE KRISHNA KRISHNA KRISHNA HARE HARE!!!!!!!!

chitra.g

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009

2. Victoryman

Victoryman Senior IL'ite

I recite narayeenam daily one chapter a day..........thats nice to hear about the leelas of swami.....Thanks for sharing the information.............very good post and pictures.......

3. Ambige

Ambige Bronze IL'ite

Very nice and divine photos. Thanks for sharing.

Best wishes.

4. Ambige

Ambige Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for sharing the lilas of lord guruvairappan. I had been to Guruvayur one time. Guruvayur is the wonderful place to visit. God relive his lilas for the welfare of his sincere devotees who follow the right path and wisdom.

5. gowthamanappu

see and take the blessings of lord Hanuman in diff. postures, u will like and reply

best wishes. chitra.g

6. gowthamanappu

thanks for ur reply,

see todays amazing postures of lord Hanuman, u will like,

reply/chitra.g

7. sumasandeep

sumasandeep Silver IL'ite

Very divine & pleasing about Lord Krishna...thank u

8. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

Simply enthralling to read about Krishna, Mukunda, Janardhana, Narayana, Govinda, Guruvayoorappa... or any other name.

There is also a story about children playing with the 'Kundumani' in the 'uruli' after dropping coins into it... can you narrate that too?

Thanks,
    LnBBHs,
    Padma

9. Muthuraji

Muthuraji IL Hall of Fame

Very nice thread giving good details. Thinking about the Lord, makes us to get some kind of happiness which we get while seeing a baby.

I have visited once the temple. I like to go again.

The pictures are very nice. simply super.

Please tell me the way the Narayaneeyam has to be told that is when it should be chanted. Is that any rule that we should do any neivedhiyam after chanting the Narayaneeyam.

Raji

10. gowthamanappu

Dear Padma,
    Happy to note that people are reading and asking questions! good learning process to all. Regarding kundumani and uruli - ur question, here is the answer. kundumani is called as kunnikkuru in malayalam I think. the ritual is called as picking up kunnikkuru in Guruvayoor temple.

Picking up Kunnikkuru: You can offer this to develop your children’s intelligence and smartness. A handful of these seeds (Abrus precatorious) are picked up and dropped thrice in the vessel kept for the purpose and an amount desired by the devotee is deposited in the hundi.

I have given the details of the offerings at Guruvayoor and also about kundumani in the end.
    OFFERINGS AT GURUVAYOOR:-

Nobody returns from a temple, especially from Guruvayur, without making an offering, however small that might be. An offering is quite often misinterpreted as a bribe given to the deity for a favour. Actually, it is the renunciation of a devotee, as the real test of one’s devotion. The Lord accepts whatever is given in devotion or “Bhakthi” and rejects everything, however expensive, offered without it. Thousands throng to Guruvayur daily to make their offerings- as an expression of their gratitude and devotion for the cure of their diseases, mental peace, success, profit, progeny – the list is endless. The devotees offer today almost anything from flowers to gold. Rare offerings are displayed at the Devaswom museum while the other items are archived.

The main offerings are:

Udayasthamana Pooja: This is the most popular offering, the booking for which are said to have been done for the next ten years. Udayasthamaya literally means from sunrise to sunset. Hence it implies worship from sunrise to sunset. It consists of 15 special Poojas in addition to all the routine poojas and begins after the morning Siveli. There is a special feast for the devotees. There is the Vilakku (illumination) in the evening. The Siveli in the evening takes 5 rounds instead of the usual 3. The tripuka marks the end of the udayastamana pooja.

Prasadaootu: These are arrangements for free feeding as Prasadams at the dining hall for thousands of pilgrims at 10.00 AM everyday. One can make an offering of any amount (min Rs 1) for this free feeding.
    Elephants: Devotees offer elephants to Guruvayurappan and today there are about 40 elephants kept with Punnathur Kotta maintained by the Devaswam. The feeding of these elephants- Anayoottu is another popular offering that attracts many on-lookers. All the elephants are taken to the temple at around 10 A.M, and fed a sumptuous feast of fruits, molasses and boiled rice.
    Tulabharam: A devotee is weighed against a commodity of his choice-banana, sugar, water, gold, in fact anything permitted inside the temple. If you want to be weighed against articles not permitted inside, do not worry. Arrangements are made for conducting the tulabharam outside the temple. Also, non-Hindus can perform the ritual outside.
    Annaprasanam: This is the first rice-giving ceremony of a child conducted before the Lord Guruvayurappa . All the itemsincluding cooked rice, payasam (sweet preparation of rice and jaggery; rice, sugar & milk) plantain etc. are placed on a banana leaf and the children are fed each of these.

Alroopams: You can offer miniature images in gold or silver, or replicas of different parts of the human body, eyes, nose, limbs etc. It is believed to cure whichever part is affected and therefore offered. You can place it after depositing in the hundi, an amount devised by you.

Picking up Kunnikkuru: You can offer this to develop your children’s intelligence and smartness. A handful of these seeds (Abrus precatorious) are picked up and dropped thrice in the vessel kept for the purpose and an amount desired by the devotee is deposited in the hundi.
    Bhagavati Azhal: 10 or 20 wicks soaked in oil are kept in a sheath of plantain tree and lighted before the goddess Bhagavati. It is done after deeparadhana and athazha pooja.

Sayanapradakshina: Also called angapradakshina, the devotee circumambulates the temple, rolling along the pradakshina path with his eyes closed and chanting the Lord’s name.

Bhajan: This offering is the most fruitful and spiritually elevating- it is the complete dedication of oneself to God. It is austere worship, the devotees forgetting their worldly worries and associating them maximum with whatever goes on within the temple-heavy bath in the temple pond, drinking water from its well and having the Prasadam as food. Married people are expected to observe strict brahmacharya (celibacy) during the bhajan. Apart from these main offerings, there are a variety of archanas, alankarams, and naivedyams that can be offered. A list of all these offerings and their rates is displayed at the counters on the northern side of the temple.

Bhagavati Azhal: 10 or 20 wicks soaked in oil are kept in a sheath of plantain tree and lighted before the goddess Bhagavati. It is done after deeparadhana and athazha Pooja.

About kunnikuru:
    Tiny, red and toxic
    I used to think that the tiny red and black seeds of the Abrus precatorius could be found only in Guruvayoor, the temple town in Kerala. I used to think these seeds existed on earth only for toddlers to play with them in front of Lord Krishna, where he could watch them and revel in their delight. Of course, the kunnikuru is more widespread than that, even though it is not native to India. It was only much later that I learnt that A. precatorius is considered a weed; in days past, they were supposedly used by goldsmiths to add lustre to the ornaments, though I don't know in what way. There is also a belief that each of these seeds weigh absolutely the same (about a tenth of a gram) - that was useful for jewellers to weigh their ornaments against these seeds. These shiny seeds were also themselves used as jewellery beads, too.

Nature, however, has a different take on the significance of colours; bright, shiny red indicates danger, more often than not. In the case of these seeds, it holds true. Harmless when whole, the broken seed releases a poison. So, even if you wander into this thicket to pluck these tiny seeds, make sure you do not chew on them, for the poison released can be fatal to humans.

No such worries about the young children playing with these seeds at the temple - they know better than to pop red seeds into their mouth, because that is the way nature made them!

Kunni in Literature

Kunni took a honourable place in the parable, illustrating virtues. The Panchatantra,a Sanskrit collection of fables based on folklore; prevalent in ancient India belonged to a period between 100 BC and AD 500. In the story narrated by a crocodile named Karala Mukhan to the monkey named Raktha Mukhan, the character of the women are likened to kunnikkuru for their outwardly beautiful and inwardly poisonous nature. It speaks about woman, just contrary to that of Arundhati.Tirukkural written in the 2nd Century AD has compared sanyasins with the blackness of the kunnikkuru.[2] Outwardly they seemed pure and perfect, but inwardly they have black spot like the blackness of the kunnikkuru. Outwardly they are perfect sanyasins with kamandalu. But inwardly they have other desires. There are people in the world who are outwardly fair as the Abrus seed, but are in their inside black as the nose of that berry.[3] It is apt to cite here the Latin proverb "Every bean has its black" means "everyone has his faults". The Tamil proverb ‘even a coondrimany has a black spot on it’ is same as ‘no rose without a thorn’.Mani in coondrimany (kunrimony) means seed, Kunni in Malayalam, Kunjimuthu in Southern Travancore. This plant has found mentioned in Sooshrutham.[4]Kunnimanikal is the title of the anthology of Vyloppilly Sreedhara Menon. Several film and drama songs have glorified kunnikkuru in its lyrics.

There are several proverbs in Malayalam to highlight the smallness ofkunnikkuru.[5] Plethora of synonyms for this plant includes Abrus aaculatus, Abrus minor, Abrus pauciflorus, Abrus squamulosus, Jequirity, Indian liquorice.

hope this is useful and go thro. the pictures/comment and reply.

GOVINDA NAAMA SANGERRTANAM GOVINDA GOVINDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

best wishes/chitra.g

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009