1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tricky Situation

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Meet9, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies, I would need your expert opinions on my situation. I live in US with my DH and a toddler, we had an intercaste marriage, my ILs never totally accepted me, they just had hi/bye relation with me never involved me in home matters, major or minor. I had few differences with my SIL, that complicated the matters. She never let her kids talk to me ever in the 10 yrs of our association, at this stage the ids are now teenage and they hardly say me "hello" leave alone call me "MAMI". It was v v painful for me that there is no family after marriage for me, I had grown up in healthy joint family with lots of aunts and uncles, our parents taught us how to respect elder and basic manners of greeting elders....I had to listen a lot of things about "sanskars" from my FIL when on one occassion I did not eat as much as I was offered. whereas my SIL never taught her daughters to at learnt say "namaste" or cordial hello to me. She was in US for 4 years and I used to call her , talk to her and wanted to talk to kids, but she never let...this happened in front of my DH who knows she always had some excuse or other but never let them talk to me......As students , we used to be low on cash, but still used to go to SIL house spending 100s of dollars on credit card debt because our FIL used to tell us to go there....after marriage, we invited my SIL many times on our marital home, but she never came. Never she shared kids pictures or videos with us. As and when these situations came, we tried to talk it out, explaining it hurts us, both to SIL, and MIL AND FIL...my FIL just put all these complaints and huts under the carpet...he dotes on his daughter.....he always neglects his daughters side mistakes. my DH has to suffer all the time.. All the 10 years of my marriage, I tried very best to get involved and be a part of family, every time, I was shooed away and hurt so much that affected me a lot emotionally. Not that it matters, but as DIL I have never given a single saree or anything as a shagun in my marital life.

After 6 yrs of marriage (we were busy with studies, so delay in trying for baby), I conceived, they started getting talking more and more to DH and interfering in our matters..I let it happen as I wanted to give this relation another chance esp after they were now having a grandkid, I thought maybe they will be more accepting and talking to me.... To my shock, all they are interested is keeping in relation with my DH, and SIL wants to have my kid, she wants to own him, she wants lots of pictures, videos and talking and involvement with my kid. No one has any idea how much it hurts, as a mom, they are trying to mentally picture take my kid and have nothing to do with me. funny enough, my ILs do not have much affection to my kid but my SIL is crazy for him..

I have one drawback.., I believe in "nazar or drishti", even though I have studied a lot but many of my metaphysical professors, also studied this phenomena, and they say human desires are very powerful. so a buri nazar can harm you. I believe in it because I have suffered from it. I have observed my SIL to be jealous and insecure from me. I had a bit better free life from her as students she had seen my DH and me having nice courtship days in US, she has inferiority complex of looks, education etc....now coming down to my dilemna: I fear she will cast buri nazar on my kid...or her desire to get my kid is so strong that something will happen to me and she will have the kid.....i am getting obsessed with thought and restricting access to pics and videos.... why she never shared her kids life to me and why she is hell bent on my kid...she told on my face I dont have a "boy " child and I like your kid, I always wanted to have a boy..(yah in this age also she is boy crazy..), i want to take him with me..sometimes I wish why i didnt have girl baby at least she would spare me.....now my DH wants to skype our kid with my ILs every now and then (who I am sure record the chat and send it to SIL easily), my ILs are not attached to my kid, I know because they always favor giving gifts affection etc to my BIL kids, there is a whole lot of different issue of favoritism with my BIL going on that I can write a lot on...so they are not attached to my kid..but they want my kid pics to give to my SIL.....How can i overcome the fact that
    1_) she never shared her kids with me so now when I have one why is she just pouring herself on us now..? till date, her kids dont call me "mami" or say hello...despite ours clearly talking it out to them or else...

2) How to overcome my obsession with "drishti" issue from my SIL? I have avoided her as much as I can but not sending pics of my kids very often to my ILs is looking awkward for my DH..and skype thing is killing me....

sorry I think this has gone a bit of long thread , but please help me out in this scenario

plz dont tell me that there is no such thing as "nazar" , i have time and tried and tested it in my life...

2. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies, I would need your expert opinions on my situation. I live in US with my DH and a toddler, we had an intercaste marriage, my ILs never totally accepted me, they just had hi/bye relation with me never involved me in home matters, major or minor. I had few differences with my SIL, that complicated the matters. She never let her kidstalk to me ever in the 10 yrs of our association,

Oh god it was as if I read my story

Intercaste marriage

I live in US with my DH and a toddler too

I had hi/bye relation with them and never involved me in home matters too

I had LOT of differences with my SIL too

Sil has 2 daughters but I have son

Me too had baby after 6yrs of marriage

Even she didn't let me c her kids pic/videos

Both of us r in usa now.. We landed in usa in Atlanta where she lives, she didn't care to invite us.. But she came to my son's birthday in India( my parents did it, n I was forced to invite her coz of my dh)

She never showed her house warming pics of usa, ( I even bought her gift for that function)where as my dh was supposed to show her every house we rent on Skype

Over time I am fed of them and try my best to keep them out of my life.. ..

Ignore if Ur dh sends pics or video of your son to her or in-laws, don't send anything by yourself.. But don't stop Ur dh from doing it , it may bring argument with Ur dh and loose Ur peace of mind...

For your peaceful tie black thread to your son's leg, and if below one year you can keep black pottu on forehead or in paws and take drishti regularly using salt n other methods.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Meet9 likes this.
  3. harinideep

harinideep Gold IL'ite

You should be happy that all were not interfering earlier .. people long for freedom.. you hadon't that but we're cribbing ..
    Regarding sil, and her affection for your kid , let her play with your kid , but you take care of feeding , bathing etc ... as life gets hectic , automatically people Ll not have time for other's kids. Regarding dhristi, don't care much .. put your favourite god's dollar around his neck

Meet9 likes this.
  4. Vaniquest

Vaniquest Silver IL'ite

OP,
    • If your in-laws are not willing to consider you to be a part of their family, you can't do much. You can't force others to approve you . The world has many people to spend time with. Ignore them. Drop the hurt. Move on.
    • If your SIL is not interested to share her kids info, don't show any interest towards them. Maintain distance with her. Don't fight with your DH to stop Sharing kids info to her. It will only create more misunderstandings between you two. You stay away from the drama as much as possible. And don't worry about dhristi and all. Your love for your son is enough to protect him.
    • From your post, you are giving unwanted power to your SIL to control your mind. Stop obsessing over her. L Don't loose your peace for these extended relations. Choose your battles wisely. As long as you have an reasonable husband, you are gifted.

5. Jasminepetal

Jasminepetal New IL'ite

I am writing this from my experience. More you are closer with inlaws, more is expected out of you. In some families DIL stays in same house,arranged marriage, yet they don't share all family related matters with them. They talk nicely on face, take help of DIL, still distant them from family matters. Such DILs feel more insulted and disappointed. IN your case, it is just hi/bye. You were prepared for this kind of reaction. They are happy to accept your child as their grandchild, You SIl wants to have a healthy relationship with your child, be happy with that and feel blessed, In many family even such things are not happening. If they dont like DIL, they will alienate grandchild as well. You be happy with this current setup. This will give you longterm peace.

sindmani and Meet9 like this.
  6. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

[QUOTE="sumalynux, post: 3922799, ..... other methods.[/QUOTE]

Hi there! wow it was nice to know I am not alone there, I was feeling depressed about it....when I think about these things they keep me awake, lots of times my DH and we have argues on it, and had our share of bitter moments, he understands me but also says that we are already away from them, so I am compromising on this situation not fully but being little restrictive...God knows how much I wanted to be a part of my in laws life...He knows and that keeps me going that I am doing nothing wrong...I am on the right path and I just am defending myself from further hurt, insult and emotional abuse. Thanks! hopefully you are not getting affected by this anymore..

sumalynux likes this.
  7. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

[QUOTE="harinideep, post: 3922806, member: ...around his neck[/QUOTE]

Hi Harini, thanks for the post..we dont stay nearby to SIL now, she is in India and we are in US...this is lot better than things were earlier....however I just cannot stand injustice....but in this case to maintain my family harmony I need to compromise..

8. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Jasmine, actually its not true that they want a healthy relation with my child, they want to get involved and take him away from me....thats what they did with my DH when we were in India for few months, they just hovered around my DH and our family plans like buying property etc were handled by them despite the fact DH and me already made decisions...no one ever consulted us when SIL and BIL kids for names...they just excluded us...no one asked suggestions like in family people ask give us suggestions for names etc.. but for my baby they wanted to name him....things like these make me so angry and that affects my health.....my SIL is so mean and selfish and she enjoys doing things that irk me so I stopped showing anything that hurt me, I thought being open will help us come closer, but by telling them what hurt me they keep on doing things to hurt me more....this is not healthy relation.....another issue is my ILs do have alienated the child.... they never give him any gifts or anything that they have given to other grandkids....this hurts me as well.... I know SIL and everyone else is after our property and other things..thats the reason they try to artifically show affection to my child...have they ever given anything from his pocket? no. my FIL has not given single thing from his pocket to my kid...its NOT about money..its the love and affection grandparents have for grandkids..when we used to visit our gransparents, just buying a small icecream would make us feel happy and close knit...by my FIL never shows any affection to my kid....neither does my MIL.....my DH has weak eyes, and he was bought by my ILs as someone who is handicapped,,,they have done so much damage to my DH self confidence that subconsiously he is trained mentally that unless he gives them money he wont get affection, unless he agrees to them he wont get love and belongingness...its a lifetime of irreparable damage they have done on him and they favor his brother who is healthier...he and his wife are so much mean that I cant tell you, My DH is so pure from heart, he is blind to all this **** and when i show him this, he gets hurt...he doesnt get angry.....I sometimes fear they will do something like this to my kid... sorry i think i am being carried away in negativity again....thanks again for the post...:)

9. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Hi there! wow it was nice to know I am not alone there, I was feeling depressed about it....when I think about these things they keep me awake, lots of times my DH and we have argues on it, and had our share of bitter moments, he understands me but also says that we are already away from them, so I am compromising on this situation not fully but being little restrictive...God knows how much I wanted to be a part of my in laws life...He knows and that keeps me going that I am doing nothing wrong...I am on the right path and I just am defending myself from further hurt, insult and emotional abuse. Thanks! hopefully you are not getting affected by this anymore..[/QUOTE]

Oh don't ask me their topics have led us to talk about divorce n number of times , So many bitter arguments so many low depressed days.. sometimes I feel he becomes puppet in his mom n sister hands..

But I have slowly tried to trained myself not to get carried away about their matters have asked dh to keep me away from them and not talk about them to me.. need to see how long it will run..

Deep down Our love for each other is still running marriage otherwise for all dramas they created in my married life we should have separated..

When it's only us he's such a sweetheart..

10. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

[QUOTE="sumalynu... sweetheart..[/QUOTE]

same here for me as well, we both love each other but because of ILs differences we have had our huge share of fights...finally just like you, I have asked DH to keep me out of them..stay away and have peace of mind...before marriage they trained my DH so well to serve their means..my DH is nicer type of guy between his brother and himself..so he could brainwash him easily...and now after marriage they are not able to do it...but they are so stubborn they keep doing it..it just keep causing fights when they are present..and now my DH is saying they are getting old and they should stay with us etc..I flatly told him, if the stay is shared among other siblings and they dont interfere and cause between us then its fine but not too freqently...lets see how things go by...

nakshatra1 likes this.