1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Trees along the fence

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by pammor, Mar 21, 2008.

1. pammor

pammor Senior IL'ite

Hello to all interested in Gardening...!!!Need your suggestion...!!
    I am looking for treesaplings to be planted along the fence of a rectangular plot.Can any one suggest some good names of plants meant for this.
    I will be happy if the information of availability is also given.This is required near Jolarpet(Vellore district),but can be transported from Chennai also.
    Thanks and regards,
    Pammor.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

My suggestion would be to goto the nurseries and check. If you spot some tree and like its height etc then you can also ask more info. :)

3. pammor

pammor Senior IL'ite

Thanks for your sugestion Madam.I am a frequent visitor to nurseries but still I thought I would get different ideas in a forum like this.Once again thanks for your valuable words.
    Pammor.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi pammor,

I am also thinking about trees for fencing..if it is to fence a plot you have to look at trees that can sustain without watering and also can resist the infrequent cattle....

the trees that they call savukku is the best suited i suppose..not sure...

5. pammor

pammor Senior IL'ite

Hi shanthi,
    Thanks for your good suggestion.Yes Chavk or Casuarina is a good to plant in a total area Where I live in chennai there are lot of Casurina plantings.I have some more suggestions that has come up thru my various good circle of friends who are real lovers of gardens/Gardenng.
    1.Ashoka.
    2.Rose wood
    3.Red wood
    4.Teak wood
    5.Sandal wood
    6.Coconut.
    You have to take the soil to consideration as well the life of trees.They say red wood will come to 7 ft diameter in 108 yrs. and it seems it is pest free.I am gathering info as it is still time for me to go for planting them.
    Hope this info is of help to u.
    Regards,
    Pammor.

6. mjohney

mjohney Senior IL'ite

Hi,Trees called konna,not the type used for vishukani,is good.I think it is called vellikonna in malayalam
    mj

7. leelal

leelal Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

There is a tree called Vetri pchedi with yellow colour flowers. Yu can als try hybrid low height palm trees/ashoka trees.

Very nice to see you are interested and taking efforts to do good gardening. Good Luck!!

In few cities and all highways, lots of long lived (mre than 100 years) trees have been cut fully by the highway dept and the entire stretch travel is very hot. Its also sad to see the missing trees and the shade presented by them earlier which made the highway travel a cool one.

Hope the highways dept plants some more trees on either side of the road than only in the medians reducing the warming effect.

8. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

HI Pammor:

How about some fruit trees - the hybrid or grafted ones don't grow very tall, so probably you can think having a few. Yes, initially they do need care. But I guess for the lovely fruits a little bit of care is fine:)

Assuming that your plot is also in Chennai - I have seen some nice gooseberry, neem and drumstick growing in Chennai. You could try that as well. Also, how about curry leaf plant?

Sindhu

9. pammor

pammor Senior IL'ite

Hi to all,
    Thanks for your nice suggestions. I logged in to day only after a long time. Thanks to you Mjohney, leelal and sindhu rao.I welcome your interest in promoting good gardening.
    I for one who is interested in good greenery around the place we live. I am living in Chennai and have planted neem, Gulmohar and another one similar to gulmohar with yellow flowers. While it is a good thing to plant greenery in front of our houses it is also essential to prune them as and when required to make them grow in a healthy as well in a nice way.
    To my bad luck I have a advocate family opposite to my house who have a neem tree in front of their house which has grown very erratically and obstruct others trees. Some of us tried to send the message of pruning and pave the way for the tree to grow properly did not reach them. So we are struck. In fact I did a pruning of my trees and showed them how nice it would like if it is pruned. They are not interested. In <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region> we have to live with all such things. (Non sense) Only in our country advocates take every thing as a prestige issue!

Mjohney:
    Your suggestion to plant Konna, is nice but I really do not know what is Konna (vellikonna) but I will try to find out what it is in Tamil so that I can look @ it .I hope you don’t mean our Karuveli which is a green tree with lot of thorns. It has green long fruits with seeds which normally used as a fence for fields down south in tamilnadu.It is normally not used along a compound wall. I thank you for your suggestion. Sharing views in a positive way nurtures healthy knowledge.

Leelal:
    Vetri pchedi “is again German to me. I will find out from some one and have a look at it. Thanks to you also for your positive help and suggestion.

Sindhurao:
    Your suggestion to plant fruit trees is a good and valuable suggestion. In our plot we have lot of space to plant the trees u hav mentioned. I hope to plant them all. Apart from them u hav mentioned, some of my friends hav passion fruit, Cashews mangoes and even apples as the soil is good for fruit varieties. I have curry leaf in my house here in Chennai. Thanks to the crows and birds they bring in lot of Karuveppillai seeds along with neem and they grow here just like that. I think u meant curry leaf is none than Karuveppilai.Correct me if I am wrong.

Friends once again thanks for all your suggestion and I will definitely keep in my mind when I do the plantings.

Pammor.

10. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Pammor:

Apple in Chennai - I'm so surprised! Have they got fruits?

Yes, passion fruit is a good one as well and yes, I meant karuvepillai. Cashews and mangoes are good as well as they are local plants (suitable for coastal climates).

Sindhu