1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling with 10mnths old to Phoenix - Need Tips - Urgent

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by PriKir, Jun 7, 2010.

1. PriKir

PriKir Bronze IL'ite

Dear ILs,
    I am travelling with my 10mnths old DD. I need some tips.

1. I am travelling in BA via london. Need your comments on this.
    2. When i take bassinet, should ask again while changing the flight?
    3. Obvious question, suggestion about food. She is not taking cerelac. And i have never tried giving lactogen in the past 3 months.
    4. She had ear infection,fever last month. What are the precautions i need to make while travelling.
    5. CAn i carry all the medicines in the hand luggage like for fever, vomit, ear drops ?
    6. Nucloryl is a sleeping dose given by a ped here when she was crying with ear pain. Can i use that if she is very cranky in the flight?
    7. BA resumes its travel after the strike, so just in case if am not getting the bassinet what shud i do to manage my DD
    8. Will there be any helper to get the luggage out from the belt? cauz i am carrying a stroller with me... it wud be difficult to push both stroller and luggage trolly :-(
    9. As listed in other postings, am carrying only baby bag and stroller as hand luggage wiht 3 pairs of extra clothes and 1 for me. 1 Cup and spoon for cerelac if she eats. and 3-4feeding bottles 1 feeding bottle with water. I heard that BA doesnt allow more than 1 bottle any idea on this???

Hope my questions are not too silly. Please reply as early as possible, cauz i will be travelling this thursday.

Thanks in Advance.

2. mrs

mrs Bronze IL'ite

Dear Priya,
    I have travelled with my DD twice within a span of 6months to India,once she was 6 months old and another time she was one yr I am just giving you some tips which worked for me.

1. I am travelling in BA via london. Need your comments on this.
    2. When i take bassinet, should ask again while changing the flight?- Before you start your journey please make sure that the bassinet is CONFIRMED . Call their service centre and make sure that it will be provided in both the flights.I dint cofirm so I had to hold my baby through out the journey.

3. Obvious question, suggestion about food. She is not taking cerelac. And i have never tried giving lactogen in the past 3 months. I was breast feeding .So that was not a problem for me.Also make sure that infant meal will be provided for the baby.
    4. She had ear infection,fever last month. What are the precautions i need to make while travelling. Give her something to suck during take off and landing(like water or milk in a feeding bottle) as they can experience ear ache during those two occasions.Carry the medications with you in your hand luggage.
    5. CAn i carry all the medicines in the hand luggage like for fever, vomit, ear drops ?yes medications are allowed in the hand luggage.
    6. Nucloryl is a sleeping dose given by a ped here when she was crying with ear pain. Can i use that if she is very cranky in the flight?- please verify with your paediatrician.
    7. BA resumes its travel after the strike, so just in case if am not getting the bassinet what shud i do to manage my DD-Take her favourite toys along with you (light weight ones) . Also you can show her some cartoons in your screen.
    8. Will there be any helper to get the luggage out from the belt? cauz i am carrying a stroller with me... it wud be difficult to push both stroller and luggage trolly [​IMG]. Usually help will be provided when you ask.
    9. As listed in other postings, am carrying only baby bag and stroller as hand luggage wiht 3 pairs of extra clothes and 1 for me. 1 Cup and spoon for cerelac if she eats. and 3-4feeding bottles 1 feeding bottle with water. I heard that BA doesnt allow more than 1 bottle any idea on this??? dear i havenot travelled in BA with my daughter.I usually travel in EMIRATES.

Usually i take some idlis with me and ask the air hostess to keep it in the fridge and then microvwave it when required.As per my experience babies usually dont eat much during this long travel. Hydrate her well during travel.If you have diaper bag where you can wear it on both your shoulders,it will be convenient as both your hands will be free for the stroller.As much as possible travel light.Other than wipes and diapers also take a baby blanket for her. Dear dont panic,she will be alright.

Regards,
    mrs

3. ktumu

ktumu New IL'ite

Hi Priya,

Here are some tips, I have travelled with young children back and forth so some of it is out of experience.

1. Yes you should ask for bassinet every time you get into a flight, but you should have already reserved a bassinet seat while booking your tickets, if the basinet set is not assigned for you then you should call your travel agent or BA directly and get one soon. If this is not going to work out then go very early to the airport and ask for bassinet seats for all the flights.

2. I have given dramamine for my kids, but wait to see how your DD reacts before you given any medicines. this puts the kids to sleep , but give any medication only if you absolutely need to.

3. Please take your formula with you, do not depend on BA to given anything. Take all baby foods with you as well as a few sterilized bottles, nipples, bibs, diapers, more that the 3 change of clothes etc. BA will give you the hot water you need to mix your formula. I travelled to India last June to aug and I had no issues with security when I carried all the above for my baby. change of clothes

4. You will check in your stroller at the gate and when you come to the baggage claim, you have to get your stroller first and then your baggage. Typically you will find men roaming around with baggage trolleys, you can pay them some money to collect your luggage from the belt and wheel it outside.

Let me know if you ned further info.

- Kalpana

4. PriKir

PriKir Bronze IL'ite

hi mrs & kalpana,
    Sorry for the delayed reply. I reached US wiht my DD. Thank god she didnt trouble me much. overall it was a good journey...:)

Thanks