Travelling while pregnant

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by simi, Apr 7, 2005.

1. simi

simi Junior IL'ite

Hi,

I am 5 months pregnant and I have plans of going to India and be back here before delivery. Not sure till what month it is safe to do air travel?

Moms out here...any suggestions and did anyone experience air travel during pregnancy? Please let me know.

Thks,
    Simi

2. ammu

ammu New IL'ite

You can travel till the 7th month

Simi,

CONGRATULATIONS :D
    You should be feeling great to become a Mom soon!

I have heard it is safe to travel upto the 7th month. I know one of my friend travelled to India when she was 6 months pregnant, had baby shower in India and returned by the end of 7th month.

Good Luck, Take care.

3. sheeba

sheeba Junior IL'ite

Safe to do air travel only till 7th month

Congrats, Simi.

I too have heard it is safe for air travel till the 7th month.
    As long as you have no vomiting or diziness you can plan for travel.
    I have also heard many airlines take good care of pregnant women during travel, so should not be a problem if you feel healthy and confident of travelling long hours.

Take care and have a safe trip.

4. malini_m

malini_m New IL'ite

Simi,

I have travelled by air in my 3rd month and came back within 3 weeks. When I consulted my doc, she said there shouldnt be any problem till the 7th month. Make sure you keep yourself hydrated, take frequent walks in the flight.. you should be fine.. I think 5th month is the safest to travel..
    Happy journey and enjoy !!

Malini

5. Blossom

Blossom New IL'ite

Travel & Shifting of residence during pregnancy

One of my close friend needs advice. It is 3 years that she got married. Now she conceived with the help of doctors treatment. Her pregnancy was confirmed just few days back. Her husband is travelling to US on some long time assignment. She wants to stay with her husband so that she would feel comfortable. But her relatives and husband wants her to stay in India so as to avoid risk during travel. Pls. advise whether travel would be safe for her during pregnancy, if so when?

6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Re: Need advice for my friend

Dear Blossom,

While it is safe to travel during pregnancy upto the 5th month, i would advise your friend to stay back in India for her confinement for the follwoing reasons:
    1. It looks like she has had some difficulty in conceiving and surely her doctor who knows her complete history will be able to give her better treatment than some one here.
    2. Once your friends husband comes here, it will take a little while to establish the medical insurance ( without which it is too expensive to get medical care here) , and find a good OB/GYN with whom your friend will be comfortable. In the mean time, she will have to go for medical checkups.
    3. Going it alone during pregnancy here in the US is difficult. I have been through it and so have many other ladies here. In Chennai, she has her parents, inlaws and host of other people to pamper her during this time .
    4. Believe me, the work culture here is such that your friend should be prepared to spend a lot of time on her own. Nowadays with so much advances in technology, she can always do video conferencing with her hubby every day.

My suggestion is that your friend stay back in chennai with her parents( with whom she may be more comfortable) and after her delivery, if her hubby is still here, then she can come to the US.

Hope this helps
    Vandhana

7. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

I do agree with vandana, back home u have support from ur family+here gyn didn't give u as much time as back in india. Seems she has some complications so better to stay in india & continue her treatment with her gyn. Here system is totally different & doctor not give much attention to pregnancy patients.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  8. VijayaSeshadri

VijayaSeshadri New IL'ite

I too agree with Vandhana. As she has said it is better for your friend to stay in Chennai with her parents because she will feel lonely in USA when her husband is working and it will be difficult for her to get adjusted to the life here where she has to be very independent.

9. Kriga

Kriga New IL'ite

First trimester is a not really a good time to travel. Best time to travel could be 5 - 6 months. This was mentioned by my Gyn as well. I would suggest to stay in India and turst me you will not feel any better than this.

10. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Re: Travel & Shifting of residence during pregnancy

Dear Blossom,

First of all, my hearty wishes for your friend on conceiving.Already our friends have given their valuable suggestions.To add to that my real concern is ask your friend's husband to verify with the insurance cmpy here reg. her pregnancy coverage becoz some insurance companies treat this as preexisting condition.So it is wise to clarify this doubt immediately b4 making any travel arrangements.