1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling to India with a baby / toddler (17 month old)

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by varshini, May 3, 2006.

1. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Re: Travelling to India with a 17 month old

Thanks Vandhana about the shots info!! I'll contact my ped first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks Malathy for the gate check idea. Will do that. Actually we are leaving 2nd March, so its just 5 weeks...:) Will follow all your advise about the milk, meals and snacks..and also about keeping her hydrated....and something for her to chew/drink while taking off or landing...

I'm so relieved today after reading all your messages...all your first hand experience and advise is making me feel not so tensed...:-D

love,
    Aarushi

2. GayathriSundar

GayathriSundar Senior IL'ite

Hi Aarushi,
    It is upto you whether you carry a flask or not. I was just relating my experience with a 1 yr old. Sometimes the flight attendants will not respond quickly and the child will be howling in hunger. Anyway plan according to the temperament of your child. And hot water was useful for mixing formula while waiting (3 hours) at Doha for flight change. You can carry liquids when you get down for flight changes. No one checks while de-boarding.

My son was prescribed malaria doses by his pediatrician in powder form once a week for 9 weeks. We started 1 week before the trip and continued after we came back. It is a special formulation and required pre-authorization from the Medical Insurance Co. I am not aware of the travel clinic Malathy is referring to.

Again do check with the airline on whether your umbrella stroller will be provided to you during flight changes and immediately on landing in India. My cousin travelled by British Airways and she was given her umbrella stroller in London but it only came to her in the baggage claim at Chennai. In the meantime she and her in-laws had to carry their twins through immigration, etc.

Anyway good luck with the trip.

Gayathri

3. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Gayathri for the tip and info! Knowing Diya, I better be prepared for anything and everything!:)

I'll call up the airlines and find out about the stroller...Thanks again!

love,
    Aarushi

4. GayathriSundar

Hey Aarushi,

Just thought of one more thing... you probably have this covered.
    Are you and your child citizens of USA and have the required Visa/OCI papers for the India visit?

Gayathri

5. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Gayathri: Both hubby and I are covered. I've applied for PIO card for the baby sometime back..hopefully we should get it in the next 2 weeks or so.

One more question to all of you- did you carry powdered milk (or toddler formula) from here or give her the regular milk over there?

Right now Diya is taking whole milk...and I want to continue that..but I heard that most times the milk over there causes diarrohea in babies or has a laxative effect...so its better to carry powdered version..what do you suggest?

love,
    Aarushi

6. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Aarushi,

I did not carry any milk powder for Kavya. She was 10months when I travelled to India. She turned 12 months in India and I directly started with aavin/heritage milk that we get there. You also get some pasteurized milk that come in cartons which has less lactative effect is what I heard from other moms who had travelled. I would suggest you travel light, if required get milk powder in India.

Travel clinic that I referred to is part of the Pediatric clinic that I take Kavya to. They look into travel medication needs depending on the age of the child.

When you call the airlines to ask about stroller, ask them whether they allow stroller till the gate. Then you can get it in the gate while you change flights. Do not check-in, then you will get it only during baggage claim. But airlines to airlines they differ.

Regards,
    Malathy

7. GayathriSundar

Aarushi,
    I carried all of the required formula for my son. He is severely allergic to dairy - so soy based formula.
    We do get good quality milk in India now. As Malathi mentioned in Chennai - Aavin and Heritage are quite good.

I guess a little bit of loose stools and some initial diarrhoea is expected for all kids going to India. If some one said this to me prior to my India trip I would have freaked out but it is true. Its something in the very air itself that is so different from here. My son had some loose bowel movement when we landed in Chennai - for 2 days, then he was fine. 10 days later we visited Bangalore for a day and on return again loose bowel movements for my son!!

It is good that you have already applied for your daughter's PIO card. My hubby and I make our life exciting and nail biting! We applied so late that it reached us a week before we left for India!!!

Gayathri

8. Gaya3murthy

Gaya3murthy New IL'ite

Hi Ladies

Each one of your mails was so encouraging to read, as I have been freaking out the last couple of weeks travelling to India with my 14 month old daughter. Iam still freaked out, but hope to get more encouragement from you ladies. I am gonna be bugging you for answers in the days to come.

Thanks
    Gayathri (Toronto, Canada)

9. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Aarushi, Gayathri, I travelled alone with my boy one way back (from India to Europe) after his first birthday. So I suppose the journey is not long as compared with US. I carried milk powder (portioned... i bought the plastic portioners available), his fav biscuits, rusks, juice (in tetra pack) and also ready-to-drink milk drinks (like gerber). I also carried a flask with hot water but the air-hostess are very obliging. But I must tell you don't think about scooping out milk powder with a baby in lap (my son was given a basinett but he preferred my lap.. he's a bit tall for his age so he must have been uncomfortable). I saw a fellow passenger with a baby of same age scooping out milk powder, spilling them all over and getting stressed out! To visit the loo i took him inside the loo as well:( But most of the time he slept. Again I travelled alone last year (he was 22 months.. more active). He sat on my lap but the seat next to me was free so i could seat him. He ate whatever was offered, played with his fav toy and slept. I did carry the ready-to-drink again and milk powder and fruits. Also made him walk now n then. Actually he was quiet and not like I feared. Once the lights were switched off he slept. I must add that our transit was a bit tight and he actually carried his little back pack and ran with me to catch the flight... very sweet:) Make sure to make them drink something (or suck on something) while take-off and landing. coz if the pressure hits their ears they go bonkers! And if they're not eating much fine, but they shd drink a lot else urination becomes another source of irritation. I also carried some bread coz he likes them a lot. Carry additional clothes... i ended up changing my boy twice... and i also carried his house-shoe and changed it once the flight took off that way they are comfortable and also the feet stays warm. I don't remember sleeping at all due to unnecessary worries:( Latha

10. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Gayathri and Latha, Thanks a lot!! You guys have given invaluable tips and info...I'm feeling much better after reading all your messages...:)

love,
    Aarushi