1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling to India with a baby / toddler (17 month old)

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by varshini, May 3, 2006.

1. GayathriSundar

GayathriSundar Senior IL'ite

Re: Travelling to India with a 17 month old

Hi Aarushi,
    I recently visited India with my 1 year old. I came back to the US on Jan 2nd.

You are allowed to take sealed baby food and any other solids your daughter eats like bananas, other fruits, idli, rice, roti etc. You will only be allowed to take liquids not exceeding 100 ml per container. We travelled by Qatar and they limited a total of 1200 ml of liquids/fluids per person this includes any lotions you might be carrying.

Vidhya ideas on entertaining the baby are good. Ensure that you take couple of your child's fav toys/books and also take some new toys/books. The new ones might hold her attention and the old ones will provide comfort. I took an old toy and some new ones for my son. And of course his blue blankie. Every where we went the blankie came along. The blue blankie changed colour by the time we returned to US.

You will have to request the bulk-head seats much in advance. These are usually first-come basis. While going to India the lady next to me had a 17 month old boy ... whew... was he restless. Anyway he was entertained in all ways and finally fell asleep and the mom put him on the floor (under the bassinet)! He slept quite comfortably for 7 hours on extra blankets the flight attendant provided. My son of course did not fit into the bassinet so we used it for storing stuff!!!!

As Vidhya says you will have to keep your child on your lap during take-off, landing and turbulent weather.

You will be provided milk in the flight for the child. And you can request hot/warm water. I carried an empty flask with me and filled it up with hot water and requested for a bottle of water as soon as I could. So I could mix formula whenever my son was hungry.
    Do ask KLM about the baby food they serve. My son was provided jar food.

Are you travelling alone?

If you have not reserved a separate seat for your daughter then she will have to sit and sleep in your lap. My friend took her 18 month old daughter and was complaining about back pains in the flight!!!!!

Try to get some rest before the day of your journey. We were so busy with last minute packing and I did not get any sleep on the flight (even with my husband with me) and became dead tired by the time we reached Doha. But once I landed in Chennai and met my family all tiredness went out!! :)

Good Luck! Do not worry too much. Mothers always do the right things at the right times!

Gayathri

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  2. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

HI Arushi,
    Though I have no kids yet but during my this India trip, we were travelling with our cousin and her toddler (2 year old).
    She was good in the flight but at times she used to run and one of us have to run behind her throwing the luggages.......
    Anyways, abt flight (we were travelling in American Airlines)......she got food like pasta, chips, muffins, cakes, bread etc......
    We even got milk for her in the fligh, so no need to carry any formula powder....
    Abt entertainment.....our cousin took her portable DVD player and the fav DVDs of her daughter along with some of her story/painting books. So, she was all engaged and did not bother like other kids.......
    One more thing, we had observed that the air pressure made most of the kids cry......so, keep them busy in songs/music during flight......
    Regards.

3. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Thank you so much Vidhya, Shobana, Gayathri and Meeta for your invaluable inputs!! I have been trying to reserve the bulkhead row seat but because my daughter is past their bassinet limit, they are not giving it to me...:( Let's see about that...

Thanks for all the other tips...including milk, food and toys etc...will carry a flask as well as milk powder..just in case...good tip about the DVD player..will check out to see if my baby is interested in it...:)

Gayathri, Meeta: I'm traveling with my hubby...so will have help in the flight...did you take a stroller incidentally? Did you find it useful in India?

love and thanks to all of you,

Aarushi

4. GayathriSundar

GayathriSundar Senior IL'ite

Hi Aarushi,
    Actually I did take my son's stroller with me. This is the regular bulky graco stroller. But it was checked-in to the flight at Dulles and I was told I would receive it in Chennai. Qatar Airways did the same for umbrella strollers. In Doha (Qatar) I was told I could get a courtesy stroller!!!! But after I finally located the place in Doha the attendant there wanted me to give my boarding pass to Chennai as some sort of collateral for lending the stroller. Seemed pretty stupid - so I did not take it.

And I did not use the stroller in Chennai. Too much traffic and smoke at the child's level when put in the stroller.

I will not advise taking a stroller. Most of the time in the airports my son was so unnerved at all the new people/place that he would not sit in the stroller.

I did observe some people carrying baby-carriers... that could be useful for small babies.

Also, the Qatar Airways flight has a TV for every seat (atleast the international leg does). So my son was quite entertained by the cartoons and other shows... he is too young to know the difference between his shows and our shows and I never put on cartoons or TV when he is around at home ... poor child!!! :)

Gayathri

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  5. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Dear Arushi,
    India is so crowded for walking itself that taking a stroller on the road is really difficult.
    But its useful on many instances like you will not find kid's feeding table, so you can feed them on the stroller table itself if you have the bigger one with all the attachments etc....don't know the exact name.......
    Even for occasions like marriage where space is a constrain, you can make your daughter sit comfortably in her chair with her stuffs........or even she can have her nap there too without any disturbances........so, its a good option too, but check with your Airlines whether they will put extra charge for stroller.........
    Regards.

6. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Gayathri and Meeta! You guys have been awesome in helping me out!! :thankyou2:

love,
    Aarushi

7. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Aarushi,

Nice to know you are going home. Is this Diya's first time? You have already got some nice inputs by Meeta, Gayathri and Vidhya. So here is my take on it:

Seats: If you are not getting a separate seat for her, then my advice is don't go for the bulk head seat. Agreed that leg space is more. But the biggest disadvantage ( if you don't get bassinet) is that you cannot lift up the arm rest between two seats. Also , if KLM has individual TV screens, then those are stored under the seats in the bulk head row. And they become a nuisance when one wants to get up and go out. So my suggestion would be to go for a two seater or 3 seater , since your hubby is coming with you. Since it is the lean season , i am sure the flight may not be full, so they can accomodate your request for adjacent empty seats if any.

Stroller: Do take an umbrella stroller. If you are coming back alone, its a great help . You will not have to carry Diya as well as your hand luggage.

Food: Read that you want to carry a flask. Skip it . All of the airlines do provide good quality water. Most carry low fat milk too. So do ask KLM . Else just take some milk powder. Like others have said, take all her favorite snacks, some cheese, paratha's etc..... And yes travel light .

Hope this helps.

Vandhana

8. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Thanks so much Vandhana!!! I have been feeling bad about not getting a bulkhead seat..but yr answer has made me feel tons better...:) Right now in a couple of legs, I have got the 2 seater seats and in 2 legs the aisle and middle seats. Hopefully she'll be able to sleep on both our laps this way...

Will go ahead and buy a lightweight umbrella stroller ( I have the bulky graco one currently like Gayathri's)...

One more question - did you get any shots done for her like hepatitis A etc?

And yes, this is her first time..:) everybody at home is so excited about meeting her..and us too...:)

love,
    Aarushi

9. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Aarushi,

Yes. contact your ped ASAP. They will give travel shots. Hep A, also any boosters that are due around 18 months and malaria pills( which you can crush, mix with honey and give).
    Also if there are mosquitoes around where you are going. Please get this product from Himalaya Herbal " mosquito repellent cream" Fully herbal, no side effects, and safe for kids. The ones from here are no use in India.

Vandhana

10. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Aarushi,

Glad to know that you are going to travel home with Diya. I am sure lots of people out there are waiting to pamper Diya :queen.

Many IL'ites here have given you valuable inputs. I just wanted to add based on my experience of travelling with Kavya to India when she was 10months old.

Don't worry about not getting bulk head seats. If you don't get a bassinet (or) if Diya is not liking to stay in the bassinet, that row is going to be more a pain than comfort.
    Instead a 3 row or 2 row seats are far better to manage.

Only thing you need to worry about is getting Diya to stay in your lap/arms during the long flights. Don't forget to give her something to chew or drink while the flight lands and takes off. That will ease the ears blocking or hurting. Most of the kids cry for this reason.

Regarding milk, you get 2% in most of the flights. Don't carry flask, as V said you can ask flight attendants for warm water and take milk powder for safety sake. Try to give less solid foods (may be only 3 meals) and rest give her liquids (water, juice & milk) to keep her hydrated.

Take Diya's favorite blanket or quilt, if she is used to something like that. That will help getting them to sleep easily. Take a few soft toys. Do not check-in the umbrella stroller. Hand it over in the gates so that it comes handy during changing flights. Remember to take diaper rash cream and apply it once or twice while changing even if she hasn't got rashes on a safety measure.

Regarding medication, I got flu shots for Kavya whichever was due at that time. Travel clinic gave her a compounded medicine for malaria (very expensive). Otherwise, a tylenol or motrin in the diaper bag might be good for an emergency.

Rest you and your DH should be prepared to carry her and go for plenty of walks within the flight.

Don't worry much (that too almost 2 months ahead :), Diya is a sweetie pie and she will be all good in the flights.

Malathy