1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling to India with a baby / toddler (17 month old)

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by varshini, May 3, 2006.

1. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Re: Checklist For Moms With Babies,toddlers During International Travel

Thanks sooo much all!!! This is exactly what I was looking for.. Im going to chennai next week in Lufthansa with 11 months baby.. of course, for the 1st bday. :)

Reg the bassinet, travel agent said small babies would be given first preference for the bassinet.. I mean if there is 4 or 5 month old baby they would get the bassinet. Also it works by first come first serve basis. Im not sure even if we get the bassinet if my kid would fit in that? He is 11 months & 23lbs now.

Hey M, When r u going?

:-D

2. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Selvi,

Good to know that you are going to Chennai for V's B'day. Me too to celebrate K's B'day at in-laws place. I am leaving on April 22nd.

You are right about the bassinet - it is first come first serve and airlines people told me it will fit babies only upto 6 months of age. K is going to be big for that :-D .

But I am hearing about bulk head seat for the first time (Vandhana's suggestion). Why not we try for that?

BTW, did you check baggage limits for V? They told me 22lbs check-in luggage only. Our carry-on luggage becomes their diaper bag too :icon_frown:.

Vandhana & Vaishu,

Thank you again for the additional info. You two seem to be pouring in useful info. It is just so useful.

Regards,
    Malathy

3. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Selvi,

HAVE A NICE TRIP !Yes u r right.Bassinet is for babies.So first preference goes to them.Incase of too many babies,they follow first come fist serve.So it is always advisable to be early.And if bassinet available u can will be given.And also moms with kids under 2years will be second ones to board the flight(ofcourse first ones will be people with wheelchairs).So only thing u need to do is checkin early and request for isle seat for u and bassinet for ur baby . And the bassinets in Lufthansa flights are so big that they can accomodate even big babies.When i travelled,in my return trip , my son (18months old kid) ) could fit in the bassinet.He was also a big baby.So need to worry.

Njoy ur trip,
    -Cheers,
    -Vaishu

1 person likes this.
  4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear M and Selvi,

Here is the seat map for lufthansa 747-400. I think you will be flying this airlcraft.
    The bulkhead seats are rows 24 and 43.These are he rows that have the bassinets too. ( so even if they say your baby is too big for the bassinet, request these row seats as they have more leg room. Only disadvantage is that you will not be able to lift the arm rest . to get more seat space if you need it.) Row 32 seats are the best in the aircraft but they are exit row and you will not get it because you are going with infants. Call them ahead of time and request these seats.

http://www.lufthansa.com/cdautils/mediapool/media_436033.pdf

Happy travelling.
    Vandhana

5. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Thanks a lot V, M & vaishu!!

V, Thnx for the map, havent looked at it.. Im in office sneaking in..:)

Too bad M, Im leaving 19th.. we could have met in Germany.

ok..Here is the verdict.. I called Lufthansa just to confirm and found that for babies the checkin luggage is 1 bag of 10kg AND car seat / stroller. hand luggage is diaper bag (dont know the lb on that.. just the usual backpack size).

And Stroller we carry to the flight would be available in Transit area, so as Vandhana said we would get it when we get off the flight in Germany.

cya..

6. priyamuthu

priyamuthu Senior IL'ite

What stores are best in US to buy Birthday Dress for 1-yr old?

Hi ladies,
    my daughter's 1st b'day falls on july. i'm luking 4 nice partywear for her. i cud not find anyhing that suits our indian taste. i've tried in Kohls, macys etc. any other shops u know where i cud get a nice b'day dress for her, pls let me know.
    thanx in advance
    Priya

7. lalithasai

lalithasai Senior IL'ite

Re: dress for my kid

Priya,

You can try in JC Penny and sometimes even Walmart has very pretty dresses for kids at a fair price.

There is a store called Bombay Kids in Frisco Mall if you'd like to try.

Hope you find your's baby 1st b'day dream dress.

8. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Re: dress for my kid

Hi priya....
    daughter's first birthday.....an occassion to cherish and remember for a long time. I still have my daughter's first birthday dress. It hangs in her closet (she turned ninteen) a reminder of days gone by and days to come (I tell her that she has my permission to give it to her daughter). As of now she uses the sash of the dress as a scarf (taking care not to damage it).

I don't know what your budget is but if you are looking for pretty formal dresses with unique designs (the department store ones are mass produced) then you might want to check out your local bridal dress stores. They have out fits for flower girls which are very cute and traditional. They have in infant sizes too.

You can check out this link http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/thebriarpatch_1952_26671153
    there are some very cute dresses there...

have fun shopping...

9. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
    2 people like this.
  10. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite